TimeShifting (rewind livetv) [Feature]

CyberPoison

CyberPoison

Hllo guys, it will be nice to have a feature to rewind livetv back to 7 Days i know than you can rewind as much as you want since the buffer save the data on the device, but how about saving the data on the server and rewind every channel (Or desired channels) from data saved on the server ? 

Can someone tell me if a such plugin exist or if this feature already exist i would like to have a rewind live tv feature from back to 7 Days :)

Kind Regards

Hi.  I honestly don't see how this would be practical for a home media server. You would effectively have to record all channels simultaneously and constantly.  The hardware necessary for that would be way out of the bounds of any home media server.

CyberPoison

Yes but you could make it, on a selectable channels like Fox Sports only, and avoid recording other channels, making rewind avalaible for 7Days only to Fox Sports.
not need to all channels only for those who wants all channels will need to select channels one by one or use the tag way to select those he wants.

CyberPoison
1 minute ago, Q-Droid said:

This feature already exists... It's called recording. 

Rewind is not equal to recording as emby only allow to record only a portion for example only a sport event and not all 2 or 3 Days Straight .

CyberPoison
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I honestly don't see how this would be practical for a home media server. You would effectively have to record all channels simultaneously and constantly.  The hardware necessary for that would be way out of the bounds of any home media server.

Not necessary all channels, and now many of people have Emby Setup on NAS, and as i said before, make it to a selectable channels so people can enable it to only the channels they want, and for those who want all make it tag channels selectable. 

samuelqwe
1 hour ago, CyberPoison said:

Rewind is not equal to recording as emby only allow to record only a portion for example only a sport event and not all 2 or 3 Days Straight .

You can actually set up a manual recording that lasts over 2 or 3 days for that channel, but that might not be practical.

CyberPoison

Was i intended to have is a Catch-up rewind system and able to rewind back with epg data from some days back, recording is not the same thing and it's not practical.

I want some thing then you can config one time and it mades rewind available for days back like 2 days and the issue if the issues is the storage then you could specify limits and specific channels for those who want less data storage consumption. 

samuelqwe
1 hour ago, CyberPoison said:

Was i intended to have is a Catch-up rewind system and able to rewind back with epg data from some days back, recording is not the same thing and it's not practical.

I want some thing then you can config one time and it mades rewind available for days back like 2 days and the issue if the issues is the storage then you could specify limits and specific channels for those who want less data storage consumption. 

Understood, I was simply offering a potential alternative 🙂

• Thanks 1

Q-Droid

That other thread appears to be a request for integrating the Emby guide with IPTV providers who offer catchup streams. Allowing the user to go back in the guide to select and play the catchup program from the IPTV provider.

Your request is asking for Emby to maintain an active TV tuner stream and keep it going uninterrupted for days, up to 7, so that you can go back to any time in the buffer.

Typical ATSC OTA FHD (1080i) channels stream at around 12-16 mbps. That is ~170GB per day and ~1.2TB for a week for a single channel. You mentioned wanting the ability to have multiple going. This doesn't account for what Emby does to make these seekable which is to create .ts chunk files and maintain an m3u8 list of the chunks. This doubles the storage requirement.

• Agree 2

GrimReaper
43 minutes ago, CyberPoison said:

@samuelqwe the ebr should point me to this feature request but he doesn't do that , but for everyone that want a catch-up feature developed please react to this thread 

Looks like people are already asking for that 4 years ago and still nothing 😒.

As @Q-Droid said:

14 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

That other thread appears to be a request for integrating the Emby guide with IPTV providers who offer catchup streams. Allowing the user to go back in the guide to select and play the catchup program from the IPTV provider.

So it is functionally completely different to what you're asking here (and likely why the Dev hasn't redirected you there already), you should append your post/remove that link else you'll likely have users that would lend support to your request end-up supporting something else entirely. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. 

Edited by GrimReaper

CyberPoison

But at the end in both case you will be able to rewind to + X days or hours, for me it's not a problem if i need to keep the data stored somewhere, as i think in using some external tool like XC or something else to provide me the ability to my IPTV server to be able to rewind back in time tv channels, this is the title of my thread rewind from catch up, back to 7 days or maybe less and if i need to have some additional panel or tools for that ok no problem, i will buy it and deploy / install. Since it will allow me to rewind with catch up. 

In fact the mention of catch up was not mentioned but still like a workaround for my actual iptv setup and my livetv needs.

Edited by CyberPoison