Emby server very slow after fresh install

Dariusz

Dariusz

So i recently did a clean OS install, reinstalled emby and used the configuration backup to restore my info.  What i noticed right away is that emby was super slow.. took almost 2 days to refresh 300 shows..  on top of that i could not connect to the server from the emby app and kept getting android volley timeout errors saying server can not be contacted.. sometimes it would connect but then freeze.. my server was only running 30-40% utilized.. now when the refresh finished things seemed to be a bit better.. i am currently moving some files between drives and all of a sudden emby is getting volley errors when trying to connect from emby app.. i never experienced this before.. it's really strange.. any suggestions?  when i backed up emby it was on 4.7.2.0 and when i restored it was with 4.7.3.0.. could that caused an issue?

embyserver (2).txt

Edited by Dariusz

Happy2Play

Looks like LibraryMonitor (Real Time Monitoring) is seeing a lot of changes with your media and refreshing them.

Dariusz

hmm. could be due to the fact i am moving media files over and maybe it's scanning them as they are added.. also I went from raid5 to raid1, so i also wonder if that has caused a read/write performance hit and freezing everything up.. but even so, i mean the emby server shouldn't be freezing up like that and taking days to refresh 300 shows.. i did a refresh on a single show and it took about 3 min with the blue circle spinning.. find it strange as on my old drives i had no such issues.. emby was always lightning fast even when refreshing metadata..

Edited by Dariusz

Dariusz

well, i;m going to go on a whim and reload everything from scratch again.. just noticed for some reason my NAS is using btrfs instead of ext4, and i clearly remember selecting ext4.. anyways, will see how it all goes after another reload lol.. i know btrfs can be a bit slower, so you never know..

20 hours ago, Dariusz said:

hmm. could be due to the fact i am moving media files over and maybe it's scanning them as they are added.. also I went from raid5 to raid1, so i also wonder if that has caused a read/write performance hit and freezing everything up.. but even so, i mean the emby server shouldn't be freezing up like that and taking days to refresh 300 shows.. i did a refresh on a single show and it took about 3 min with the blue circle spinning.. find it strange as on my old drives i had no such issues.. emby was always lightning fast even when refreshing metadata..

I think this is exactly it. If you're doing a large amount of file transfers, maybe you should shutdown the server temporarily or temporarily disable the realtime monitor for each of the affected libraries.

Dariusz
On 6/22/2022 at 6:13 PM, Luke said:

I think this is exactly it. If you're doing a large amount of file transfers, maybe you should shutdown the server temporarily or temporarily disable the realtime monitor for each of the affected libraries.

@Luke before i did a fresh reinstall, I never had this issue before when i was moving data and running emby..

so now I ended up wiping one of my drives to do a fresh reload again, but this time i wanted to make sure it formats in ext4.  and what a difference it made with emby.. i did everything same as before, restoring the OS config, restoring emby config etc.. I really don't know why on the drive with btrfs emby constantly freezes.. even when nothing is running on NAS, emby is super slow and freezing when browsing through the gui.. however on the ext4 it's fast, really fast.. took me 2 days to refresh my library when i was on btrfs partition, but took me 2 hours on ext4.. so either emby and/or my NAS really doesn't do well with btrfs, or it has something to do with the way emby got installed and maybe something got corrupted.. when i installed emby on btrfs i could not connect to get the gui, i had to manually create emby folder in the "homes user" folder and then after restarting emby server it would start working (was on 4.7.3.0).. but when i did the install this time when i switched to ext4 and installed emby (4.7.4.0), i got the gui right away and was fast and snappy..  just thought i would share my experience... 

Edited by Dariusz

2 hours ago, Dariusz said:

@Luke I never had this issue before when i was moving data and running emby before i did a fresh reinstall..

so now I ended up wiping one of my drives to do a fresh reload again, but this time i wanted to make sure it formats in ext4.  and what a difference it made with emby.. i did everything same as before, restoring the OS config, restoring emby config etc.. I really don't know why on the drive with btrfs emby constantly freezes.. even when nothing is running on NAS, emby is super slow and freezing when browsing through the gui.. however on the ext4 it's fast, really fast.. took me 2 days to refresh my library when i was on btrfs partition, but took me 2 hours on ext4.. so either emby and/or my OS really doesn't do well with btrfs, or it has something to do with the way emby got installed and maybe something got corrupted.. when i installed emby on btrfs i could not connect to get the gui, i had to manually create emby folder in the "homes user" folder and then after restarting emby server it would start working (was on 4.7.3.0).. but when i did the install this time when i switched to ext4 and installed emby (4.7.4.0), i got the gui right away and was fast and snappy..  just thought i would share my experience... 

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.