search for settings in server admin and user settings

justinrh

justinrh

Some times I forget where are all the settings are and 'are they related to this or that?', 'user level or system level (or both!)?'  I'd like to be able to search for a setting then go to that section.

Right now I'm trying to find the poster stuff and can't find it.  I thought "I'll click this magnifying glass here in Settings!" but no, that searches my libraries.  (This would seem to be a problem within itself - context, context!)

image.png.cc1856030913dba831d4e35285a65c40.png

• Agree 3

sydlexius

So many applications (web or otherwise) have added search capabilities to their configuration screens...this would be super nice!

• Like 1

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Right now I'm trying to find the poster stuff and can't find it. 

But what is Poster stuff? 

But truly don't see how search context would be done on these pages.  But would assume a lot of indexing would need to be done per page.

sydlexius
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But truly don't see how search context would be done on these pages.  But would assume a lot of indexing would need to be done per page.

Something that can crawl the DOM and perhaps index the labels, then create deep links to them would be a start.

justinrh
13 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Exactly.  I know there are options for posters because I've seen them before (even see the 4.7.4.0 release notes).

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Exactly.  I know there are options for posters because I've seen them before (even see the 4.7.4.0 release notes).

But that will not have anything within Emby thought but can only guess you mean this.  But I have no idea how a search would find this.

• Add more fields for selection in poster views

image.png.7d871b6d99d06dfb2f91f32cad8f8897.png

Edited by Happy2Play

justinrh

Well, search could supply implied results (I've seen this in the wild also, even search engines do this), but if it returned nothing then that tells me something doesn't exist or I'm searching for the wrong thing. So it could still be useful.  You are thinking too myopic instead of trying to understand how it could be useful.

Happy2Play

I guess but I go to a KB instead of searching a display UI that is somewhat platform specific.

Edited by Happy2Play

justinrh

I'm happy for you, that you have a way to accomplish this.  But, hey, let's just never make enhancements or improvements because, ya know, there is always around it, eh?  We don't want to make things faster or easier for users.