Alternative address to emby server

katonag

katonag

Is it possible to setup an alternative address for the same emby server in the addon? At home I access the server by its local 192.168.x.x address, however in some cases I would like to access it remotely using ssh port forwarding, which connects through localhost. I would like to have both addresses set, so if the 192.168.x.x is not available, the other is tried automatically.

quickmic

If you can resolve the webaddress via DNS you could use it as an alternative. Should have the same affect as 2 different IPs.

katonag

What do you mean exactly? I do not want to expose the emby server to public, this is why I plan to use ssh port forwarding. But this method results in a 127.0.0.1:8096 address, but at home the address is like 192.168.1.104.

quickmic
12 hours ago, katonag said:

What do you mean exactly? I do not want to expose the emby server to public, this is why I plan to use ssh port forwarding. But this method results in a 127.0.0.1:8096 address, but at home the address is like 192.168.1.104.

I understand, but the web address is not necessarily public.

It's just a DNS address. You can modify /etc/hosts file (on Linux, Windows also possible but different location) on any client device and assign a DNS record to any specific IP address.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, this "dns approach" is probably nothing for you. (no offense, sophisticated network knowledge required).

EDIT:

plugin connection stack (simplified): 1st local IP -> if not accessible  -> 2nd dns address

Edited by quickmic