add another subtitle option

horstepipe
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

horstepipe

Hello

There is the "smart" subtitle option, but this doesn't enable "forced" subtitles which doesn't make sense to me.

Would you consider adding another option like "smart and forced" so this would apply:

• preferred language is German - audio is German - video has no German forced subtitles = no subtitles are enabled
  • preferred language is German - audio is German - video has German forced subtitles = German forced subtitles are enabled
  • preferred language is German - audio is English - video has no German forced subtitles = German full subtitles are enabled
  • preferred language is German - audio is English - video has German forced subtitles = German full subtitles are enabled

Wouldn't that make sense or am I missing something here? šŸ™‚

Best regards

Edited by horstepipe
  • Like 1

Junglejim

Basically you have 2 options, Default and Forced. How you configure those is up to you. There are pretty self explanatory so figure it out.

I don't think these guys are that smart to figure this "smart and forced" stuff out.. šŸ˜‰

Edited by Junglejim

seanbuff
1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

There is the "smart" subtitle option, but this doesn't enable "forced" subtitles which doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not sure I follow. I have always used "smart" mode and Emby always displays subtitle tracks marked as "forced"

Junglejim
53 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

I'm not sure I follow. I have always used "smart" mode and Emby always displays subtitle tracks marked as "forced"

Yea same here.. Personally I only use forced but I have my media setup that way. I have all the foreign/alien lingo in xxx.eng.forced.srt. I do have some movies/anime that have eng subs but I just turn them on as I watch them and Emby remembers that. Most movies I've remuxed the default to forced (only have a few) but the episodes are to many. :)

Default subs are usually your in your native lang if the audio is foreign. Forced is usually for the foreign lang if the audio is native (this can have both flags enabled). How you match the languages is important (both for audio and subs).

Jellyfin handles this nice now, once you start a series and set the subs it will remember that for the rest of the series.

Edited by Junglejim

• Solution
3 hours ago, horstepipe said:

There is the "smart" subtitle option, but this doesn't enable "forced" subtitles

Yes it does...

horstepipe
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes it does...

Okay so nevermind, sorry šŸ™‚

Currently Iā€˜m not able to just test it out as Iā€˜m having general problems about subtitles discussed here:

So this topic came to my mind while trying to figure out the reason for that problem.

Edited by horstepipe