HEVC Support

Ilarramendi

Ilarramendi

Helo! The last time i serached for emby HEVC support i found a post here that said since browsers dont support HEVC it wont be added, but recently i discovered Chrome Canary wich is like a development version of chrome wich can directly play HEVC content (tested with this file i found) but emby playback dosnt work, would it be possible to enable it?

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, Ilarramendi said:

The last time i serached for emby HEVC support i found a post here that said since browsers dont support HEVC it wont be added

It has nothing to do with Emby nor is there anything to enable/disable, it is strictly and exclusively browser related and dependent only on browser capabilities and/or what machine it is running on, whether it can DirectPlay HEVC or not. 

That said, both MS Edge and Marmaduke's Chromium have supported HEVC playback for some time now, if you don't want to go Canary route. 

Ilarramendi
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

It has nothing to do with Emby nor is there anything to enable/disable, it is strictly and exclusively browser related and dependent only on browser capabilities and/or what machine it is running on, whether it can DirectPlay HEVC or not. 

Then why can i direct play this HEVC video directly in chrome canary but in emby it dosnt work?

Edited by Ilarramendi

Ilarramendi
6 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Post ffmpeg log(s), reason will be noted there. 

Should have looked at the logs first, it said audio codec is not supported, i tested with an AAC movie and it directs plays but is realy choppy, this dosnt happend with Emby Theater, any idea why?

• Like 1

Ilarramendi

Thet extension seems to be only for edge, i would prefere using chrome!
I found this extension but it seems it can only reproduce local files.

PD: I already have the 0.99$ HEVC video extension that microsoft sells on the windows store.

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, Ilarramendi said:

i would prefere using chrome!
I found this extension but it seems it can only reproduce local files. 

Considering it's Canary, it'll likely get refined over time. 

Or use Marmaduke Chromium, which is basically ungoogled Chrome. 

Edited by GrimReaper

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, Ilarramendi said:

Thet extension seems to be only for edge

PD: I already have the 0.99$ HEVC video extension that microsoft sells on the windows store.

This is Edge Dev/HEVC V.E. that works for me:

Can confirm stutter-less DirectPlay HEVC (8-bit/10-bit) with AAC/AC3 on Edge Dev 100.0.1163.1 and HEVC Video Extension 1.0.50362.0.

Edited by GrimReaper

Ilarramendi

Note about the H.265/HEVC video codec
Chromium does (and will) not natively support the H.265/HEVC codec. (official source)

This is in what i think is the "official" page to download marmaduke https://chromium.woolyss.com/
Maby an older version supported it? But for security reasons i would prefere using the latest update available!

Also im pretty confident the problem (with canary) is related to emby, since playing the file in the regular HTML video elements works just fine, but if i download the file, add it to emby and try to play its choppy again!

PD: I downloaded this version of marmaduke and it dosnt work!

Edited by Ilarramendi

GrimReaper

I'm quite positive every Marmaduke supports HEVC, I've got 10+ clients currently, all of which are using it with no issues. 

You need to enable hardware acceleration in Chromium Settings>System, and HEVC flag (type 'chrome://flags/' in the address bar, search for HEVC, enable "HEVC for testing"). 

Ilarramendi

For what i can see some files play nicely and some are choppy, here you have the mediainfo of a couple of examples, but i cant realy tell any important difference!

not-working.txt working.txt

PD: Tried downloading the non-working file, creating an html doccument with a video tag and setting the source to that file and it works perfectly, so i think its pretty clear that this is a problem with emby!

Edited by Ilarramendi

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 9:02 PM, Ilarramendi said:

For what i can see some files play nicely and some are choppy, here you have the mediainfo of a couple of examples, but i cant realy tell any important difference!

not-working.txt 2.25 kB · 2 downloads working.txt 2.26 kB · 3 downloads

PD: Tried downloading the non-working file, creating an html doccument with a video tag and setting the source to that file and it works perfectly, so i think its pretty clear that this is a problem with emby!

Hi, was it direct playing without transcoding?

Ilarramendi

Unfortunately i switched to Manjaro so results may not be comparable, ill try to install Marmaduke's chromium and see what happens!

• Thanks 1