Mutliversion-Movie selection pop up for client devices

RaptorCentauri

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, RaptorCentauri said:

Other clients may have it set up differently.

They do. 

Bigmack3000

But no client keeps track of them differently.  In every client, if you pause one cut at 5 minutes, every cut is paused at 5 minutes.

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, Bigmack3000 said:

But no client keeps track of them differently.  In every client, if you pause one cut at 5 minutes, every cut is paused at 5 minutes.

As it was very well explained by @Happy2Play, that is the current state of the feature. Maybe in the future there might be some improvements. 

sydlexius
18 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

So a complete redesign of how Emby tracks played status on every item, the redesign a new method to handle Cuts vs Resolution? 

But I still don't see a way to maintain this info if database issues or rebuild is required.

While I personally agree with you about the effort vs. reward of implementing such a feature (I don't think it's worth it), your response does not seem indicative of one of a "moderator."  Most users don't care about what it takes to implement something; including the more vocal ones that participate in forums.  The realm of the feasibility of enhancements belongs more to a product manager. 

22 hours ago, RaptorCentauri said:

That thread seems to be talking distinctly about various resolutions. The feature request here, while technically very similar is really about presenting options to the user when there are multiple cuts of a film.

The title of this topic makes it sound like exactly the same request because you are asking for a pre-playback dialog to select a version.  What it actually sounds like you want though is a different mechanism for handling multiple cuts vs multiple resolutions.

As explained in other posts (and topics) the muti version feature is designed for multiple resolutions of the same item.  While it can be used for multiple cuts, that isn't what it is designed for so it doesn't work as well for that purpose.

Would  you like me to change this FR to one asking for a different way to handle multiple cuts? (that one may actually already exist too)

For now, the best way to accomplish what you want would be to make your different cuts be actual different items in the library and then include them both in a custom collection.  That will keep them separate and present an interface to choose which one you want.

RaptorCentauri
41 minutes ago, ebr said:

The title of this topic makes it sound like exactly the same request because you are asking for a pre-playback dialog to select a version.  What it actually sounds like you want though is a different mechanism for handling multiple cuts vs multiple resolutions.

As explained in other posts (and topics) the muti version feature is designed for multiple resolutions of the same item.  While it can be used for multiple cuts, that isn't what it is designed for so it doesn't work as well for that purpose.

Would  you like me to change this FR to one asking for a different way to handle multiple cuts? (that one may actually already exist too)

For now, the best way to accomplish what you want would be to make your different cuts be actual different items in the library and then include them both in a custom collection.  That will keep them separate and present an interface to choose which one you want.

Yes, if that is the best way to get traction on this request. I've tried the collection solution. I'm not a fan of it. It makes collections messy. Personally I see collections as a group of similar but different movies (Star Wars collection, MCU Collection, etc). I estimate I have at least 100 movies with multiple cuts, that would make my collections be very large. Relating to that, I would want the "cut collections" to appear as a single item in my library, but not the "real collections". Finally, there is the issue of a "cut collection" needing to be within a "real collection". I realize you are just giving a temporary solution, I just wanted to bring to light some issues with that method.

Overall you are correct, I am asking for a better way to handle multiple cuts. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2