Mutliversion-Movie selection pop up for client devices

RaptorCentauri

RaptorCentauri

I'd like to see a pop up selection on clients that prompts the watcher to select a version if they are playing a multi-version movie. To be clear I am speaking of scenarios where the may be a theatrical cut and extended cuts of the movie, NOT quality versions (1080p vs 4k). I know that it can be changed in a menu on clients, but watchers may not always realize several versions exist. It can be quite a shock to think you are watching lord of the rings, only to find out its playing the extended cut and thus twice as long.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

But there is no distinction in cuts and resolution versions.  Superman is the same no matter if you have DC, EC, TC or 720, 1080, 4k.  So playing any one of these provides a played status for all of these as they will all have the exact same providerids.

So a pop-up would be all or none from my understanding.

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, Bigmack3000 said:

Isn't that part of what the request wants to fix?

But how do you fix it as there is no such distinction.  But I guess you would have to manually apply some distinction as no online provider will have one.

Or is the request for a system that does not exist as Cuts are not the same as Resolution and Emby has no way to tell the difference technically. 

But in the end they will always be the exact same item, correct?

• Like 1

RaptorCentauri

Per the emby docs, I can have a multiple cuts of a movie as long as the files are named properly.

Superman - Theatrical Cut.mkv

Superman - Directors Cut.mkv

And these will appear as one library entry. 

I am asking for a feature so that a user selects "play" on an emby client, and is presented with a prompt asking if they want the Theatrical or Directors cut to play.

Bigmack3000
30 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But how do you fix it as there is no such distinction.  But I guess you would have to manually apply some distinction as no online provider will have one.

Or is the request for a system that does not exist as Cuts are not the same as Resolution and Emby has no way to tell the difference technically. 

But in the end they will always be the exact same item, correct?

I don't think this is a metadata issue though.  This is something that can be controlled entirely inside of Emby. 

First, yes Emby should absolutely separate the distinction between resolution and alternate cuts.  Then anything listed as an alternate cut has each individual's playtime, length, etc tracked separately in Emby.

Ex. Superman TC is selected, it shows a runtime of 2hrs 10min. Paused at 31 minutes.

Superman EC is selected, it shows a runtime of 2hrs 31min. Paused 1hr 02 minutes.

Then within the alternate cuts you would have resolution differences. Superman TC - 720, Superman TC - 1080, etc.

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, RaptorCentauri said:

Per the emby docs, I can have a multiple cuts of a movie as long as the files are named properly.

And these will appear as one library entry. 

I am asking for a feature so that a user selects "play" on an emby client, and is presented with a prompt asking if they want the Theatrical or Directors cut to play.

But there is zero distinction between 

Superman - 1080p.mkv

Superman - 4K.mkv

But technically Emby multi-version was never designed for Cuts per many other topics as multi-versioning is about resolution not different cuts.

So a pop-up system would have to present ever version.

Bigmack3000

Correct. That's why so many people ask for the distinction to be added.  Isn't that the feature request? to fix how emby views alternate cuts?

• Like 1

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Bigmack3000 said:

I don't think this is a metadata issue though.  This is something that can be controlled entirely inside of Emby. 

First, yes Emby should absolutely separate the distinction between resolution and alternate cuts.  Then anything listed as an alternate cut has each individual's playtime, length, etc tracked separately in Emby.

Ex. Superman TC is selected, it shows a runtime of 2hrs 10min. Paused at 31 minutes.

Superman EC is selected, it shows a runtime of 2hrs 31min. Paused 1hr 02 minutes.

Then within the alternate cuts you would have resolution differences. Superman TC - 720, Superman TC - 1080, etc.

So a complete redesign of how Emby tracks played status on every item, the redesign a new method to handle Cuts vs Resolution? 

But I still don't see a way to maintain this info if database issues or rebuild is required.

Bigmack3000

I know nothing about coding, so I freely admit I don't know what it would take, or how hard it would be to implement. 

If I play a movie with just 1 version now.  How does emby track where I pause it?  Why would it require a top to bottom redesign to just track a secondary file seperately?

RaptorCentauri
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But there is zero distinction between 

Superman - 1080p.mkv

Superman - 4K.mkv

But technically Emby multi-version was never designed for Cuts per many other topics as multi-versioning is about resolution not different cuts.

So a pop-up system would have to present ever version.

Then I guess my request is to have it present every version? (Maybe have a setting to enable/ disable the feature if that's an issue for some people?)

Perhaps multiversion was not originally designed for cuts, but have been multiple topics concerning it, so I think it might be time to acknowledge that is how the community is using them.

Its also quite disorienting to see documentation for multi version  refer to to various cuts of a movie, only to come to the forums and hear that's not what its designed for.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

To me I would think Cuts would be straight up Extras to the Released Cut, but everyone is going to have their own views on this as they are not individual independent items.

But I don't really have a say on what the devs here will do so it is up to them.  But just providing the same insight that has already been mentioned so these requests will need more insight on possible implantations as you can't just provide a list as tracking data will be problematic.

Bigmack3000

I think alternate cuts are way above extras. And are often time the preferred and more popular version of a film to watch.  Along with their own commentary and audio tracks.

But this does start to wrap itself into the fact that emby also has to neaten up the extras section as a whole.  It makes little sense that you can separate all the types of extras into various folders, but then they all get thrown into one row inside of emby.

Edited by Bigmack3000

Happy2Play

Everyone one will have their own view on cut but to each their own, there will only be one true identifier ie TMDB, TVDB, OMDB.

I would disagree that there truly a need for multiple rows of a different name for Extras especially if each row could possibly have one item.  But back to personal preference.  Organization and display are also two totally different animals to me also.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Bigmack3000 said:

but don't those places list alternate cuts on each movies page? 

Not that I know of.

Spaceboy

i keep anything other than the theatrical cut in the extras folder properly labelled. it works

RaptorCentauri
2 hours ago, ebr said:

I know there has been discussion here but this is a dup:

That thread seems to be talking distinctly about various resolutions. The feature request here, while technically very similar is really about presenting options to the user when there are multiple cuts of a film. So ‘selecting the best version’ wouldn’t really apply.

The current way of changing cuts is cumbersome, and if a user is not aware of the other options may miss them entirely. The same with keeping multiple cuts in extras. Basic end users may not think to look there. This issue becomes even larger when a user isn’t even aware multiple cuts are available. I have plenty of movies that even I didn’t realize I have various cuts of on the server

emby4kodi does what I am looking for. I am just asking that something similar be added to other official Emby clients. 

I under this is not a small request. 

• Like 1

Romek123

would love to have this

TinyMediaManager even has this included and adds this information in nfo or file names

like Directors Cut, 3D, Extented Cut etc.

I would be ok when this would work like Specials same as specials work for tv shows and i would have no problem when all play counts are mixed together. like directors cut 1x and extented cut 2x so at the end i saw the movie 3x

switch between versions could be done same as we choose audio or subtitles

I don't think i would need extra meta data per version. Just the standard file info for video resolution or video lenth would be enough.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Romek123 said:

I don't think i would need extra meta data per version.

That is already implemented. 

RaptorCentauri
13 minutes ago, Romek123 said:

That already exists, and it is cumbersome. For example on the AppleTV version: From the movie info screen I click "Select Audio or Subtitles", then in that window I select the Version I want, then I can select "play from beginning". Other clients may have it set up differently. 

It requires a user to go into sub menus, for things that may not even be in there (what if a movie doesn't have multiple cuts?).