Getting rid of 'stuff' on recordings

arrbee99

arrbee99

Am wondering would anyone know of an easy (repeat easy) way to get rid of / cover up  these things that get burned into recordings. Things like yellow boxes with 'Skip Intro' in them, or bigger boxes near the end that put up whats coming next, that kind of thing. So you could position a black box over it to cover it up, or something...

• 4 weeks later...
visproduction

Ab, 

Hi.  I use http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/  software. This is a 3rd party video editor that is mostly intended to just adjust the image, color, brightness, Aspect ratio, etc.  It is not meant to be a full featured video edtior.   AVIDemux software for saving to Mpeg4 AVC h.264 video there is a Filters / Sharpness / Blur filter which you can position anywhere on the media and blur the result.  It's also possible to cut media into multiple parts and blur only the one part you need.  Then append the updated parts back to make the media whole again.  You have to be careful to end a cut on one frame and begin the next cut on the next frame.  There is an advance by frame button.  The process is to set this up and then save as a new copy.  This means you lose a generation, so you need to also try to make all the other settings correct to keep as good quality as possible.  There are a lot of options.  The software is a gui for ffmpeg.  I think you could probably also blur a section with just straight ffmpeg, but the command line code would be really complex.

If you have subtitles to blur out, this does not end up looking so nice, because one blur for the entire media makes a large area blurred.  It would be a lot of work to isolate each section to only blur just subtitles area that happen on that one edit.

Hope that helps.

Gilgamesh_48
On 6/14/2022 at 2:02 AM, arrbee99 said:

Am wondering would anyone know of an easy (repeat easy) way to get rid of / cover up  these things that get burned into recordings. Things like yellow boxes with 'Skip Intro' in them, or bigger boxes near the end that put up whats coming next, that kind of thing. So you could position a black box over it to cover it up, or something...

I do not think most of what you describe is actually burned into the videos.

First in settings I would turn off everything related to "Automatically play next episode and everything related to show upcoming content. Also turn off anything related to "Skip intro."

My belief is that those things are more of a nuance than a help but Emby enables them by default so they have to be turned off to get proper basic behavior.

arrbee99
3 hours ago, visproduction said:

Ab, 

Hi.  I use http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/  software. This is a 3rd party video editor that is mostly intended to just adjust the image, color, brightness, Aspect ratio, etc.  It is not meant to be a full featured video edtior.   AVIDemux software for saving to Mpeg4 AVC h.264 video there is a Filters / Sharpness / Blur filter which you can position anywhere on the media and blur the result.  It's also possible to cut media into multiple parts and blur only the one part you need.  Then append the updated parts back to make the media whole again.  You have to be careful to end a cut on one frame and begin the next cut on the next frame.  There is an advance by frame button.  The process is to set this up and then save as a new copy.  This means you lose a generation, so you need to also try to make all the other settings correct to keep as good quality as possible.  There are a lot of options.  The software is a gui for ffmpeg.  I think you could probably also blur a section with just straight ffmpeg, but the command line code would be really complex.

If you have subtitles to blur out, this does not end up looking so nice, because one blur for the entire media makes a large area blurred.  It would be a lot of work to isolate each section to only blur just subtitles area that happen on that one edit.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Yes I use Avidemux already. Never tried to do that though. I'll have a look. Would be nice if instead of blurring a portion, it you just overlay a black box though...

arrbee99
2 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I do not think most of what you describe is actually burned into the videos.

First in settings I would turn off everything related to "Automatically play next episode and everything related to show upcoming content. Also turn off anything related to "Skip intro."

My belief is that those things are more of a nuance than a help but Emby enables them by default so they have to be turned off to get proper basic behavior.

Don't think thats the same thing though 😀 Its things the likes of Netflix and Disney+ that add things, not Emby. For example the kind of thing Apple adds to the credits -

1556829056_EmbyAppleTVburninexample.thumb.jpg.8b20e8d74690c8a6d2099ca643a3ff8d.jpg

unless anyone spotted an option in Netflix, Disney etc to suppress these messages ? I've looked, but maybe in the wrong places...

• 2 weeks later...
visproduction

Promotions for next video up, like your example screenshot with Biscuits.  That happens on the server side of the playback and ends up burned into the media playback that arrives to an user's TV.  The option to not show these insert ads would be some switch with the content provider.  This option may not be possible because it was never added as a feature.  

Subtitles are usually optional from the media provider somewhere in user settings.  They have to be turned off in the media providers settings for media playback.

Once the subtitles are there and the playback is captured, then obviously the subtitles become part of the media video image and are no longer pulling from a separate file or embedded text data.

Subtitles can be added to media by being embedded as text inside the media file.  This can be removed by some video editors and tools like MKVtools.

Subtitles can be pulled from a separate file and this can be added to emby media playback.  This combination should appear as a pull down option in the Emby media page.  This combination allows for subtitle editing, adjust timing by editing the file and using timing tools.

Finally the look of the subtitles that are either embedded or pulled from a separate file can be adjusted for style, appearance, position using the CSS style lines added to custom CSS in dashboard settings.  These adjustment do nothing for burned in subtitles or insert ads that are already in the video of the media.

I hope that makes senses.

arrbee99

Not bothered about subttiles (so far touch wood...). Also found a way to cover over those stupid up next things with a black square to tidy up closing titles. Just have to get round to actually doing it 😀

Thanks for pointing me to Avidemux.