Intro Skip - To Plugin or Not To Plugin - That's the Question? Help?

dexus

dexus

Hi.

I have been following the development of the intro skip plugin, as well as the communication from the devs.  This has led me to believe that the intro skip functionality has arrived in a somewhat limited fashion to the Emby Core, thus somewhat eliminating the need for the plugin.

However.. As I understand it, the plugin lets you edit the markers for where exactly the skipping occurs, and also has end-credit skipping which is also desirable.  The caveat is that I read somewhere that the plugin and the core version does not use the same data, and are thus incompatible with each other.

I really like to keep servers like this to a minimum, with as much functionality as possible, as experience tells us that too many plugins might introduce incompatibility when Core is updated or conflict between plugins etc.

My question is: When will the Core intro skip be properly implemented (I.e when most of the clients are able to use it, and scanning takes a reasonable amount of time / resources).?

I noticed that the TV Library has the added option to "Generate intro video markers" either as a Scheduled Task and when media is added, but enabling this gave me no new scheduled task, and even though it seemed to have started some chromaprint scanning (as evident in Htop) It stopped way too soon, just scanning a handful of episodes in some series.  Is it a "hidden" scheduled task, or is it just not fully implemented yet?  I am using the latest Debian version of the server 7.7.2.0 stable.

Any input appreciated.

Klaus (dexus)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pwhodges

The scheduled task is there - the UI just doesn't show it yet (it will be shown in the 4.7.3 update).

All I know about the rest is that I believe there are plans to continue developing the core function.

Paul

• Agree 1

rbjtech

To add - the Plugin and Core are 'compatible' with each other with regards to the end 'Intro Start and Intro End' data.  This is the bit which actually fires the 'Skip Intro' button.  The data import is also compatible - ie once imported, the Core does not need to scan that item again.

As you have already identified, the Plugin has a few benefits over the Core -

• End Credit Detection (shows)
  • Manual Edits (Intro & Credit)
  • Works with Intro's that happen after 10 minutes
  • Initiates the 'Next Up' at the exact EndCredit marker time  (thanks to the Core adding this in the clients)
  • Auto Skip to next episode on EndCredit marker time
  • Statistics & Reporting
  • Comprehensive Logging

These may be coming to the Core in the future (and we hope they do) - but as of today, they are missing.

Personally, I'm still using the Plugin for all the features it brings above in addition to the Core.

Functions appearing in both Core/Plugin (ie feature parity) -

• Intro Detection (where Intro happens in the first 10 minutes)
  • Intro Skip (manual via client button)
  • Intro Skip (option for Auto - Plugin also gives you the option to turn on/off associated message)

I hope this helps.

I may put some of this in a table in the Introskip Plugin thread actually - as it's a common question !

edit - I've now added this to the Introskip Plugin Wiki -

https://github.com/chefbennyj1/Emby.IntroSkip.Release/wiki/Feature-List-Plugin-vs-Core

Thanks.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2

dexus

Thanks, pwhodges and rbjtech for your answers.

So I can actually use the plugin now, and the collected scanned information will be compatible with the core down the line? That is great news.

A follow-up question: Does all clients (Lg, Samsung, Android ATV etc) support the skip intro function, or is it early days for clients?  I tried finding the option to enable it in my LG Tv Emby app, but could not locate it.

Thanks again.

FrostByte

If you want the scheduled task now edit system.xml and restart server.

<ShowIntroDetectionScheduledTask>true</ShowIntroDetectionScheduledTask>

• Like 1

rbjtech
4 hours ago, FrostByte said:

If you want the scheduled task now edit system.xml and restart server.

<ShowIntroDetectionScheduledTask>true</ShowIntroDetectionScheduledTask>

If you are using just the plugin - then I would recommend not enabling the Core Introskip schedule.   Show the task by all means, but if you schedule it to actually run,  you will be wasting cpu as any results will be overwritten by the Plugin when you next run the Plugin Chapter Task anyway. 

ie - use one or the other - do not try and use both.  ;)

• Like 1

rbjtech

As this is a repeating question - I've now added the comparison to the Plugin Wiki Page - link here

https://github.com/chefbennyj1/Emby.IntroSkip.Release/wiki/Feature-List-Plugin-vs-Core

As I haven't used the Core Introskip since the early Beta - can somebody please confirm this is an accurate list of what features the Core currently has in the emby Beta release ?   if it is planned for an imminent feature update, then please also advise and I will add to the notes in the table so people can make an informed choice.

@Luke / @ebr / @chef / @Cheesegeezer - FYI

• Thanks 1

dexus

Ok, Thanks guys. 

rbjtech - That means that if scanning using the plugin, you would need to re-scan once the core version has matured and is preferable?  No biggie tho.
I really was hoping LG tv's would be supported, as that is what I own right now..

Btw.. With the plugin version, is it possible to scan just one series, or do you have to run it on the whole library?

rbjtech
Just now, dexus said:

That means that if scanning using the plugin, you would need to re-scan once the core version has matured and is preferable? 

Not from our extensive testing no - the Plugin 'can' pickup superfluous intro's vs the Core but it's very rare.  On the other hand, the Core is 100% missing any Intro's that happen after the 10 minute cutoff - so it's swings and roundabouts - lol

2 minutes ago, dexus said:

With the plugin version, is it possible to scan just one series, or do you have to run it on the whole library?

You can exclude all series (single button), and then remove it from the list to scan just the show you want.  But post the test, if you want to add them all back then it's a little clunky in the selection approach, we much prefer the Core method of a per library selection. 

rbjtech
8 minutes ago, dexus said:

I really was hoping LG tv's would be supported, as that is what I own right now..

The proposal is ALL clients will have the 'Skip Intro' button - It may be in the next LG Client update - maybe raise a Q in the LG Thread to confirm.

To note, this is only for the manual 'button' - Auto Skip works on the LG just fine.

pwhodges
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

On the other hand, the Core is 100% missing any Intro's that happen after the 10 minute cutoff

The 4.8.0.1 beta has added a (hidden for now) configuration value for the scan time.

Paul

• Like 2

rbjtech
10 hours ago, pwhodges said:

The 4.8.0.1 beta has added a (hidden for now) configuration value for the scan time.

Paul

Yep - already in the Feature List Comparison within minutes of Luke releasing that info ;)

dexus
On 6/15/2022 at 1:50 PM, crusher11 said:

The LG app gets updated very rarely, because the LG approval process is trash. 

That's too bad.. I would really like the button version.. Auto skip is fine, but I like the option to choose on the fly.

Btw.  How come the Emby app is not on the samsung app store in europe?  As I understand, it is available in the US version of the app store?

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, dexus said:

That's too bad.. I would really like the button version.. Auto skip is fine, but I like the option to choose on the fly.

Btw.  How come the Emby app is not on the samsung app store in europe?  As I understand, it is available in the US version of the app store?

I would disagree with his statement - the LG App has has 2 update in as many months.   There was a very long period of no activity granted, but I think Emby have worked things out with LG and updates are now incoming fairly frequently.

Here is the official update thread - @Luke posts updates on here.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49958-status-on-official-lg-app/page/38/#comments

dexus
On 6/16/2022 at 9:34 PM, Luke said:

You'll get the button skip feature following the next LG app update.

Great! 

One question: If I temporarily stop the scheduled task for detecting intros, will it resume and skip over episodes already in the database, or will it scan each episode again?
Reason I ask is that part of my TV library is at a friends house through a VPN at 100mb's and it takes forever to scan, even just to check for chapter marks.. 

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, dexus said:

Great! 

One question: If I temporarily stop the scheduled task for detecting intros, will it resume and skip over episodes already in the database, or will it scan each episode again?
Reason I ask is that part of my TV library is at a friends house through a VPN at 100mb's and it takes forever to scan, even just to check for chapter marks.. 

Both the Plugin and/or the Core will not re-scan an item if it has been attempted already.   You can reset this in the Plugin (per item or per show if you wish) and the same via the Core via refreshing the metadata.  It is therefore safe to stop a task and resume it.

dexus
4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Both the Plugin and/or the Core will not re-scan an item if it has been attempted already.   You can reset this in the Plugin (per item or per show if you wish) and the same via the Core via refreshing the metadata.  It is therefore safe to stop a task and resume it.

Great! Thanks for all the info.