Video not start in Roku TV installed with Emby app

tomerq

tomerq

Hi,

I'm running Emby Server on Windows version 4.7.2.0.

Recently, for the past 2-3 months i almost can't play a video using my Roku TV that installed with Emby app.

The issue i'm expirenceing is that when i start play a video (Any video) it start to show  the loading icon (circule) and numbers of percentage, each time differernt scenarios but all final the same, it shows 50% and then 33% and then 70% and back to 33% and it continues up and down while it failes eventually, after several tries, it goes on however, if i try to move forward with the video (fast forward) it show me the thumbnail but when i click on play to play from that spot two thigs could happen, one it start all over again from first sec of the video or go back to the video page, stopping the video and print on my scree this error "play back error - too many errors".

I don't have this issue when i play from my PC, phone or other devices, only Roku TV.

I tried :

- Validate the video i play are good, and i tried several videos some using x264 codec while other x265, in different resolutions.

- Restart the PC

Nothing helped.

Any ideas? someone else have this issue?

Hello tomerq,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

tomerq

Thank you Luke,

I copied the logs and you can find them attached to my message, In addition below activities taken

10:25 play Fantastic Beasts The Secrets of Dumbledore
10:27 error playback error - too many errors. moving on...
10:28 play Fantastic Beasts The Secrets of Dumbledore
10:29 video start to play but stopped after few secenods show again the loading page without me take any action
10:30 error playback error - too many errors. moving on...
10:31 play morbious success no issues
10:32 play turning red
10:33 error playback error - too many errors. moving on...

On top of that, i attached to this message a screenshot from my TV and the error i see

Thank you!

embyerror.PNG

LOGS SAVES.7z

Hi.  It looks like ffmpeg is crashing.  Do all of the items with this problem have like 30 or 40 subtitles in them?

tomerq

No, different source provide videos without subtitles at all, usually if i choose to keep subtitles if there aren't any, i use English only.

Could it be that the ffmpeg is corrupted and need to be replaced? i don't have issues with other devices..

The video must be transcoded. That Roku model doesn't appear to support HEVC. Because of that the video must be transcoded. It also looks like it is trying to shove all 23 subtitles into the manifest for the WebVTT conversion. Because those subtitles are embedded subrip and not SRT the Roku cannot play them when transcoding. To be able to select and play them the Roku must be fed them into the manifest when transcoding. That is the problem here. When the manifest contains too many subtitles the Roku will actively refuse to play them.

What you can do is use gMKVExtractGUI and it will let you extract them into external versions of themselves. You also want to check the [x] Use Source box so that the subtitles wind up in the proper directory for you so you can use them with Emby.

image.thumb.png.6d59d4ef6071932f30e71a3155331e6a.png

Just drag and drop. Now extract the subtitles.

image.png.12231221c5672b0e586847b8d0f71a21.png

After extract the subtitles you can use MKVToolNix GUI and remove those internal subtitles. You won't need them anymore. With the Roku you want to be using external SRT rather than embedded. The Roku can only support a limited number of embedded subtitles. Unless this is anime then you want ASS/SSA and force them to burn in. This isn't anime. There are not ASS/SSA burning in. You want external SRT. You do not want to sidecar embedded SRT into WebVTT when there are more than a few subtitles.

@Luke Can there be some way to auto-detect the way gMKVExtract GUI naming is using [brackets] around the language rather than the standard dots? Does it already do that? It would make it easier for people having this problem with too many internal/embedded subtitles.

Edited by speechles

pwhodges

The Roku is fine with embedded SRT if there are not too many (I normally have no more than three max - Dialogue, Signs only, SDH).  If there are too many (most often from Netflix rips) I don't extract them - I just use MKVToolNix in a single pass to remove all the ones I don't want.

All my videos have subtitles which are embedded - I have seen no benefit in having them separate.

Paul

12 hours ago, tomerq said:

No, different source provide videos without subtitles at all,

Can we please see an example of this issue with one of those?

tomerq

Hi everyone and thank you for replying to this issue and having a look, much appriciate !

@speechles I follow the provided instructions and i managed to extract all the subrip from the video and saved it without subtitle at all, i didn't keep them for this purpose, when i want to play the video it recognize no subtitle but the loading screen repeat itself the same way compare the file with the subrip or any subs.

@ebr I did another test, with a different video and this time no built-in subltitles.

20:35 play video Another Round

20:37 play failed

see attached logs

logsdifferentvideoembysup.zip

Edited by tomerq

tomerq

This behavior is very weird, I have the Roku for about 3 years, i never had issues playing any movie.

I could just think it related to Roku app update recently..

I did another test played same video from 3 different devices, Roku, PC, Android, the first failed while the other played instantly..

07:41 play Another Round from Roku
07:42 Error
07:43 play Another Round from Android - played after m.seconds
07:43 play Another Round from PC - played after m.seconds

What is the different between all? is there anything i can do to fix this issue with my Roku?

Not be able play videos using Roku (my main TV and favorite option to watch videos) i will have to think on other solutions..

logsalldevices.zip

Hi.  The difference is the other apps are able to direct play the files. The Roku is the only one that needs to use ffmpeg and, it appears, there is a problem with it on your server installation.

How did you install the server?  Can you try re-installing over the top of your current installation?

tomerq
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The difference is the other apps are able to direct play the files. The Roku is the only one that needs to use ffmpeg and, it appears, there is a problem with it on your server installation.

How did you install the server?  Can you try re-installing over the top of your current installation?

I installed the server very long time ago, installation process very simple using the installer, no special addons on top of that...

I can install the Server again, do you want me uninstall and install again? or install on the exist one?

Also, i saw @softworkz working on this and discover emby causing the issue, is reinstall could fix it? or reinstall roku app?

Oh no, there's nothing to do for you. It can be either fixed in the client (not allowing it to do range requests or in the server (not offering range requests). Ideally it should be done on both sides.

Only when you are really really bored to death and want to do something, you could set up Fiddler as a proxy on your server so all communication between the Roku Client and Emby server go through Fiddler. Then you could use Fiddler to remove the server's headers which are advertising range requests.

But that's lot of, err - fiddling - and you need to read a lot how to set this up as I cannot guide you through. 
Much easier will be just to wait for a new server version.

Thanks

tomerq

I'm sometimes bored but I can't do that fiddling things...

I know that there was a version update on both server and roku not too long ago, is it possible that update broght some changes that would be the cause for this issue?

For the newer version, is there release date?

40 minutes ago, tomerq said:

is it possible that update broght some changes that would be the cause for this issue?

Yes. The problem didn't exist earlier.

40 minutes ago, tomerq said:

For the newer version, is there release date?

@Luke needs to tell..

Soupy1970

I've been having the same issue with most firesticks in the house and on some android based devices like my Samsung S21. My son is having issues too out of network. For some reason My one firestick that is the 4K max is playing the files fine. But the other firestick 4K's do not. 

17 hours ago, softworkz said:

either fixed in the client (not allowing it to do range requests

We have zero control over the behavior of the Roku player here.

1 hour ago, Soupy1970 said:

I've been having the same issue with most firesticks in the house and on some android based devices like my Samsung S21. My son is having issues too out of network. For some reason My one firestick that is the 4K max is playing the files fine. But the other firestick 4K's do not. 

Hi.  This is very likely something different.  Please create a new thread with details of your issue.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, ebr said:
23 hours ago, softworkz said:

either fixed in the client (not allowing it to do range requests

We have zero control over the behavior of the Roku player here

OK, then it needs to be changed at the server (needs to be done anyway).

tomerq

I was hoping to find another solution..

If that the case is it possible to uninstall the version i have and install oder version? few versions back before changes applied on the new one..? where can i download the installation files?

Also, i want to disable the auto-update so in the futre i will take a snapshots before emby get updates so i could always be able revert back...is that possible?

pwhodges

Why am I not getting this problem on my Roku TV? Is the beta server different in this regard?

Paul