Problem playing from the beginning of a active recording

dmshimself

dmshimself

If I try to play a program that is being currently recorded via Live TV/Recordings then it always plays from the current time and I cannot get back to the beginning of the program with forward/back controls.  If I happen to go to the same recording via My Media/Recordings, then it does correctly start playing from the beginning of the recording.

This is with Apple TV app version 1.5.8 (19) and server version 4.7.2.0

Edited by dmshimself
left server version off

dmshimself

I'm not able to give you a recorded example, but the sequence I described reproduces the problem each time.  Are you able to record anything and just follow those steps?

dmshimself
  • I could probably do a video of the TV screen with me running through the actions I've described if that would help?

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2022 at 10:14 PM, dmshimself said:
  • I could probably do a video of the TV screen with me running through the actions I've described if that would help?

No that's good, we'll take a look at it. Thanks.

• 9 months later...
rbknox

On Apple TV, I cannot even watch an active recording.  When I go to play an active recording I get a dark screen with the name of the program and a spinning asterisk.  Eventually the app crashes and returns to Apple TV Home screen.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 12:59 PM, rbknox said:

On Apple TV, I cannot even watch an active recording.  When I go to play an active recording I get a dark screen with the name of the program and a spinning asterisk.  Eventually the app crashes and returns to Apple TV Home screen.

Hi, can you try the latest update to Emby for Apple TV and let us know how things compare? Thanks.

rbknox
On 5/12/2023 at 10:51 PM, Luke said:

Hi, can you try the latest update to Emby for Apple TV and let us know how things compare? Thanks.

I tried playing an active recording yesterday on Apple TV.  If I hit the OK button, I still get the rotating busy asterisk and crash.  If I hit Play it works fine.  I had not tried the play button previously so can't comment on whether this is an improvement  (I can say that ET Windows has been updated so that now hitting OK brings up a context menu during an active recording per my issue with ET Windows).

Now that I can watch an Active recording on Apple TV, I can compare it to the experience on ET Windows.   On Apple TV, left and right arrow clicks will advance or rewind the playback. On Windows, this can only be accomplished by using the +30, - 10 buttons below the timeline (i.e. arrows do not work properly in Windows).  Also, neither Apple TV or Windows display a comprehendible timeline that provides information about where in the live recording one is currently at.  Further, neither platform remembers where the playback is at.  If you exit and return and choose Resume, playback still starts at the beginning.   I have raised these issues previously in the ET Windows thread.

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2023 at 5:51 PM, rbknox said:

I tried playing an active recording yesterday on Apple TV.  If I hit the OK button, I still get the rotating busy asterisk and crash.  If I hit Play it works fine.  I had not tried the play button previously so can't comment on whether this is an improvement  (I can say that ET Windows has been updated so that now hitting OK brings up a context menu during an active recording per my issue with ET Windows).

Now that I can watch an Active recording on Apple TV, I can compare it to the experience on ET Windows.   On Apple TV, left and right arrow clicks will advance or rewind the playback. On Windows, this can only be accomplished by using the +30, - 10 buttons below the timeline (i.e. arrows do not work properly in Windows).  Also, neither Apple TV or Windows display a comprehendible timeline that provides information about where in the live recording one is currently at.  Further, neither platform remembers where the playback is at.  If you exit and return and choose Resume, playback still starts at the beginning.   I have raised these issues previously in the ET Windows thread.

Hi @rbknoxwe are working on improving this. Thanks for the feedback.

• 5 months later...
On 6/27/2023 at 1:57 PM, Luke said:

Hi @rbknoxwe are working on improving this. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi,

I just tried watching an active recording again on the Apple TV version of the app.  Not sure anything has changed since my previous comments:

- I still think selecting the recording using OK (Enter) is intuitive but this causes the Apple TV variant to have the spinning thing indefinitely (seems it no longer  rashes the app).  Pushing Play does start the app

- there is no Resume if you exit the recording and attempt to re-enter.  On windows there is a Resume which as noted elsewhere doesn’t work.  Here you don’t even have the option

- the Apple TV timeline is less confusing, though not sure it provides any more relevant information (as highlighted elsewhere per Windows Media Center and other recording apps, the timeline should show useful information like where you are in the recording, where the recording is at relative to live etc etc)

- unlike the Windows variant, this one correctly allows skip forward and skip backwards (though the skip size in seconds is not a configurable option - one is stuck with 10s forward only).   Of course right arrow left arrow is the only choice here versus Windows where there is that mode (which doesn’t work) and also the drop down +30 -10 buttons which is the only way to navigate in Windows).

- this version also allows a speed ahead option (similar to streaming apps where you can accelerate +1, up to +4), which is not available in Windows. However, unlike most streaming apps, here you are forced to endure visual and audio chopping as the timeline speeds ahead - frenetic to say the least).  Some sort of audio/video muting is required.

Are any of these issues being addressed?  Seems many are common to Apple TV and Windows (and other flavors?)

Thanks

• 1 month later...

HI, we are working on improving this. Thanks for reporting.