Auto Intro Skip and Theme Song Troubleshooting

marshallwyoung
Go to solution Solved by seanbuff,

marshallwyoung

Version 4.7.2.0 on Windows 10 PC - 

I'm having two separate issues:

1.) Playback < Intro Skipping < Automatically Skip Intros  - This is selected and it is not automatically skipping intro's. I run all of the scheduled task scans to update metadata and so on.

2.) Display  < Enable Theme Songs - I have this selected, it worked before and now it doesn't seem to be working anymore on my fire cube, fire sticks, or on the pc browser chrome.

2.) Display  < Enable Theme Songs - I have this selected, it worked before and now it doesn't seem to be working anymore on my fire cube, fire sticks, or on the pc browser chrome.

Hi, can you please go over an example? Does your media have theme songs?

marshallwyoung

Yes, for example, when I click into the office or star trek, it should play the theme music. In fact, Plex plays the theme music for every show I have but Emby doesn't play a single theme song and it's enabled.

22 minutes ago, marshallwyoung said:

Yes, for example, when I click into the office or star trek, it should play the theme music. In fact, Plex plays the theme music for every show I have but Emby doesn't play a single theme song and it's enabled.

How are your theme song files named?

marshallwyoung

I have no idea. I've never named them. It was either just working or it wasn't. Maybe, Plex is using a plex library and that is how I have them playing in plex. However, I am quite certain that my emby was also playing the theme songs before, simply by having this option enabled. Has something changed recently that would impact this? Where are theme song files kept in Emby?

If I need to add a library of theme songs to the emby server, how would I go about obtaining and adding?

marshallwyoung

Ok, been doing some research on this, and basically landed here, 
https://www.ballingtons.com/products/

so i'm assuming something changed. So, for now, I think we can move past this issue.

As far as the Automatically Skip Intro selection, I have it selected. Plex is displaying the skip intro feature on most of the shows I've gone through. However, Emby doesn't seem to be auto skipping them. Is there something I need to do? I've run the scheduled tasks scans, what else?

HI, there is a scheduled task that needs to run for the intros which is currently hidden in the 4.7.2 release. This will be resolved in 4.7.3 and then I think you'll see better results with that. Thanks.

Ok, been doing some research on this, and basically landed here, 
https://www.ballingtons.com/products/

so i'm assuming something changed. So, for now, I think we can move past this issue.

It's not new. The plugin only helps you acquire theme songs into your library, but you can also download them manually instead.

marshallwyoung

Thanks Luke,

I've resolved the theme songs by adding the plugin, downloading them and running the scheduled scans.

Intro Skip still hasn't worked yet, but "episode title sequence scan" in scheduled scans is heavy and only 11% and may take a few days, uses a lot of cpu, and I'm still running 4.7.2.0, once the scan is done, I'll let you know if it begins to work.

I have the Intro/Credit Skip Plugin enabled,

Edited by marshallwyoung

I have the Intro/Credit Skip Plugin enabled,

For the core intro skip I would remove that plugin and just wait for the 4.7.3 update. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

ng4ever
9 hours ago, Luke said:

For the core intro skip I would remove that plugin and just wait for the 4.7.3 update. Thanks.

I like how you all took yalls time and finetuned the Auto Intro Skip feature!

rbjtech
39 minutes ago, ng4ever said:

I like how you all took yalls time and finetuned the Auto Intro Skip feature!

A significant amount of functionality simply does not exist in the Core Introskip - this is why it is lighter on resources ...

Feature List Plugin vs Core · chefbennyj1/Emby.IntroSkip.Release Wiki (github.com)

.. but if you only have low powered hardware (a NAS for example), then the Core is probably a better option for you but you will miss out on some functionality.

Edited by rbjtech

marshallwyoung
On 6/15/2022 at 7:41 PM, Luke said:

Looks like my Emby Server updated to 4.7.4.0

Is one of these the plugin and one of these not? It almost seems like a duplicate or should I run both scans?

Screenshot_20220621-013034.png
This is the plugin I had enabled, you're saying disable it?

Untitled.png

Edited by marshallwyoung

rbjtech
1 minute ago, marshallwyoung said:

Is one of these the plugin and one of these not? It almost seems like a duplicate or should I run both scans?

Screenshot_20220621-013034.png

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/109427-auto-intro-skip-and-theme-song-troubleshooting/&do=findComment&comment=1155132

Run one or the other, not both.

As you are 76% way through using the Plugin, then personally, I would continue to use the Plugin.  Unless you have activated the Core Intro's on the libraries - then it won't actually do anything despite running a scan.

marshallwyoung

If I'm following you correctly, I have activated it in the core intros and basically the scan I've been running is not going to accomplish anything and the scan I need to run is the cancelled scan in the image from my previous comment. 

Screenshot_20220621-032306~2.png

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, marshallwyoung said:

If I'm following you correctly, I have activated it in the core intros and basically the scan I've been running is not going to accomplish anything and the scan I need to run is the cancelled scan in the image from my previous comment. 

Screenshot_20220621-032306~2.png

No - I'm saying let the Plugin finish and use that instead as it has nearly finished.

Disable all the Core schedules until it has finished - or you are just doubling on the work the machine needs to do.

If you want to use the Core instead (be aware a lot of what is currently in the Plugin is missing - see above) - then just run the 'Chapters' task in the Plugin and all the detection information will be imported.   Then uninstall the Plugin and reset the Core schedules.

We are waiting for the Core to add 'editing' in the Introskip functionality - and will then probably change the Introskip plugin to be CreditSkip only to avoid these complications.

The Introskip plugin has been available for over a year - so it is the Core that are playing catchup here .. ;)

marshallwyoung

I understand. Great, thank you for the insight, this is helpful.

I was merely pointing out that I've had the generate video markers enabled already. I hadn't changed anything based on anything you said, I was just showing my current settings. 

I've left the scan running. I will disable the "generate markers as a scheduled task and when added" and will for now continue to use the current plugin.

If I run into issues, I will then try what you suggested and switch over to the Core.

Edited by marshallwyoung

MBSki

@marshallwyoung Are intro's automatically skipping for you now?

@Luke As of 4.7.4, the intro's aren't automatically skipping anymore. the issue may have started earlier, but I definitely noticed it today when playing back on the Xbox client.

marshallwyoung

The other day, star trek auto skipped for me and I noticed. I literally rewinded and watched it auto skip a second time. However, it was a random episode and that was the only time it worked but I'm still scanning, it takes about a day of scanning just to get through 5-10% and this morning I finally reached 81% so I still have a few days to go on the scan but I'm expecting it to work when the scan is finished, I'll definitely let you know the outcome.

• Like 2

marshallwyoung

I finished running the scan. This is for my TV shows in 4.7.4.0 running the plugin enabled mentioned above (1.0.0.0).

Many of the shows (office, star trek, impractical jokers, ect) I have played are displaying the Skip Option button and then a second later are auto skipping the intro on android Emby app 3.2.51 on pixel 4a and on the windows 10 PC with chrome. I had to check the settings in a few spots to make sure everything was enabled correctly. (It was all disabled at first and wasn't working). But, after I enabled the settings properly. I checked several episodes and it seems to be working. I've also verify the title sequence in settings, I can see each show has been scanned and the time of each episode.

However, the fire stick and amazon cube are inconsistent. Star Trek and Impractical Jokers doesn't display skip option or auto skip while the office sometimes does and sometimes does not display any skip or auto skipping those same episodes (Emby 2.0.70a). (So, while all these shows work consistently on Android and Windows, they're flaky on Amazon Fire Stick and Cube)

It seems that over time, the shows would begin to auto skip on both the cube and fire TV sometimes. It's still too inconsistent to be cache imo, for example, after attempting to play star trek a few different times, the auto skip did show up and begin to auto skip and rewinding back to just before the intro seemed to eliminate it. Sometimes, some episodes would work consistently and many times it just didnt. I'm going to have to play around with it a bit and see if there are any patterns to the inconsistencies. But, most of the shows are working overall. 

ng4ever

I found so far only Friends Season 1 episode 1 does not have any skip button on Roku :(

It is weird.

Edited by ng4ever

rbjtech
27 minutes ago, marshallwyoung said:

I finished running the scan. This is for my TV shows in 4.7.4.0 running the plugin enabled mentioned above (1.0.0.0).

Many of the shows (office, star trek, impractical jokers, ect) I have played are displaying the Skip Option button and then a second later are auto skipping the intro on android Emby app 3.2.51 on pixel 4a and on the windows 10 PC with chrome. I had to check the settings in a few spots to make sure everything was enabled correctly. (It was all disabled at first and wasn't working). But, after I enabled the settings properly. I checked several episodes and it seems to be working. I've also verify the title sequence in settings, I can see each show has been scanned and the time of each episode.

However, the fire stick and amazon cube are inconsistent. Star Trek and Impractical Jokers doesn't display skip option or auto skip while the office sometimes does and sometimes does not display any skip or auto skipping those same episodes (Emby 2.0.70a). (So, while all these shows work consistently on Android and Windows, they're flaky on Amazon Fire Stick and Cube)

It seems that over time, the shows would begin to auto skip on both the cube and fire TV sometimes. It's still too inconsistent to be cache imo, for example, after attempting to play star trek a few different times, the auto skip did show up and begin to auto skip and rewinding back to just before the intro seemed to eliminate it. Sometimes, some episodes would work consistently and many times it just didnt. I'm going to have to play around with it a bit and see if there are any patterns to the inconsistencies. But, most of the shows are working overall. 

To note - The plugin 'Auto Skip' will only ever work 'once' per episode per session.   Thus if you then rewound back to try it again - it would not auto-skip again - this is by design in-case the auto-skip jumped valid content.   To re-see the auto-skip, you would need to stop playback and then re-play the item to start the process again.  If you did rewind - then the 'manual' Skip Intro  button should remain - allowing you to then manually skip the Intro should you wish. There is no 'caching' as such - the Plugin controls the playback session in real-time.

I've had no issues with the FireTV sticks as they are my primary viewing device - all seem to work perfectly with auto-skip, even the old Gen 2 FireTV stick.

Always check with the Plugin GUI (or a Title Sequence Chapter..) that the episodes you are testing do actually have an Intro detected - if they do, then there is no reason why they would not behave the same as all the others.

Also to note - in debug mode - the logs on Introskip are very comprehensive - and will tell you exactly what is going on with the Intro Skips etc.

Edited by rbjtech

marshallwyoung
34 minutes ago, ng4ever said:

I found so far only Friends Season 1 episode 1 does not have any skip button on Roku :(

It is weird.

Check to make sure you do not have "Do not auto skip the title sequences for the first episode of each season" Enabled

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

seanbuff
17 minutes ago, marshallwyoung said:

Capture.JPG

I don't think @ng4ever is using the Plugin version, so shouldn't apply. The core version doesn't have any such feature.

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

I don't think @ng4ever is using the Plugin version, so shouldn't apply. The core version doesn't have any such feature.

I believe it does, but you don't have the option to turn it off - it always plays the first intro of a new Season.

Full comparison list here -

https://github.com/chefbennyj1/Emby.IntroSkip.Release/wiki/Feature-List-Plugin-vs-Core

• Like 1