[Solved while typing] Connection Error only on Desktop Web App

bijon

bijon

tl;dr solution: If your browser is set to Always use secure connections (or equivalent), you cannot have Secure Connection Mode disabled in Emby settings if you want to access your server using Emby Connect. Original post below.

I just started noticing that I can't connect to my Emby server by logging in to Emby Connect using desktop web browsers. I have tried both Chrome and Firefox. I have also tried with all ad blocking and autoplay disabling extensions turned off.

Things that do work:

• Web App using Chrome on mobile
  • Android App
  • Using RemoteIP:port on mobile AND desktop browser

Things that don't work:

• Web App using Chrome and Firefox on desktop
  • Web App using Firefox on mobile (just found this out now)

I should note that my Chrome version on mobile is quite a few versions behind (long story). Maybe importantly, it is lower than version 100 which I'm now wondering if that is the issue. All the other web browsers I've tried are 100+.

I've deleted all Emby cookies a couple of times.

I have Secure Connection Mode disabled on my Emby server.

...and I just turned off Always use secure connections in my Chrome settings and now it works. So I guess if you're forcing secure connections (which I'm pretty sure Firefox does by default) you need to do what is necessary to allow Emby to use secure connections. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time but I'll post this anyways in case it helps someone in the future.