Problem when resuming a video with DTS-HD audio

Juan Simón

1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

do you have Rewind Resume set?

That should have no impact.

This, however, is a good thing to check:

2 hours ago, Audiomixer said:

For dolby audio processing, is your setting on or off?

FrostByte
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

That should have no impact.

It helped @Audiomixer when I asked him to try in PM :)

Resuming DTS-HD caused stuttering no longer stutters with Rewind Resume

Edited by FrostByte

Audiomixer
31 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

It helped @Audiomixer when I asked him to try in PM :)

Using rewind resume still has stutter with dolby audio processing off. If i rewind manually after resume then its ok. With dolby audio processing on, no stutter but then the osd noise issue comes up. This is the case with both shields. 
I’m wondering if the latest june ebeta didn’t have some small change as i dont recall seeing this in the may ebeta.

@ebr

Edited by Audiomixer

30 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

Using rewind resume still has stutter with dolby audio processing off. If i rewind manually after resume then its ok. With dolby audio processing on, no stutter but then the osd noise issue comes up. This is the case with both shields. 
I’m wondering if the latest june ebeta didn’t have some small change as i dont recall seeing this in the may ebeta.

@ebr

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

57 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

That has to be coincidental.  All that setting does is some math on the resume point.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Audiomixer said:

@ebr

The issue with the static in the OSD when System sounds and Dolby processing are both on though I believe was because of a change in .76.  When I fall back to .75 there is no more static when navigating the OSD for me.

None of these issues are in the standard app.  Tried several times.

Audiomixer
10 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

The issue with the static in the OSD when System sounds and Dolby processing are both on though I believe was because of a change in .76.  When I fall back to .75 there is no more static when navigating the OSD for me.

None of these issues are in the standard app.  Tried several times.

I was meaning that stutter issue coming back for me since I think updating to the june ebeta. Agree on the OSD issue.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

The issue with the static in the OSD when System sounds and Dolby processing are both on though I believe was because of a change in .76

As I mentioned earlier, that has to be related to the WMA skipping fixes we put in the ffmpeg audio renderer.  Don't know what else it could be.

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

None of these issues are in the standard app.

And that's because none of its navigation is handled by the actual Android system.  Its UI is not in native Android.

Juan Simón
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you confirm the Nvidia firmware version?

9.1.0(33.2.0.118)

3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

@Juan Simóndo you have Rewind Resume set?  If not, could you try setting it to 10 seconds and see if that helps any?  It may require you to set it on both server and client, not sure.

Yes, I always had rewind resume set to 15s.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
Juan Simón

One question: if the problem is with the Nvidia Shield hardware/firmware, why in Plex this doesn't happen? 

Audiomixer
On 10/9/2022 at 5:43 AM, Juan Simón said:

One question: if the problem is with the Nvidia Shield hardware/firmware, why in Plex this doesn't happen? 

On 6/16/2022 at 2:25 PM, ebr said:

And that's because none of its navigation is handled by the actual Android system.  Its UI is not in native Android.

As @ebr stated in reply to @FrostByte concerning the standard app that it doesn't happen in the standard app either and who knows how plex handles it in their app.

Juan Simón
17 hours ago, Audiomixer said:

As @ebr stated in reply to @FrostByte concerning the standard app that it doesn't happen in the standard app either and who knows how plex handles it in their app.

What do you mean with "standard app"? 

FrostByte
50 minutes ago, Juan Simón said:

What do you mean with "standard app"? 

Emby has two Android apps currently.  One is built on standard Android and the other uses AndroidTV.  There's also Android Leanback and other libraries.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Agree 1

FrostByte
20 minutes ago, Juan Simón said:

What's the version for Shield TV: arm7 or x86? @FrostByte

For nVidia Shield use:

• armeabi-v7a - 2019 Tube (32-bit)
  • arm64-v8a -  all other Shields 2015, 2017, 2019 Pro (64-bit)

Emby.Releases/android at master · MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases (github.com)

Edited by FrostByte
  • Agree 1

Juan Simón
15 hours ago, FrostByte said:

For nVidia Shield use:

• armeabi-v7a - 2019 Tube (32-bit)
  • arm64-v8a -  all other Shields 2015, 2017, 2019 Pro (64-bit)

Emby.Releases/android at master · MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases (github.com)

Ok, I tested the arm64-v8a app in a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and it works better with DTS-HD but it fails sometimes when I FF several times. 

I was surprised that this version works very well on a TV and is much more complete (in terms of configuration). Why not just release this one for Android and Android TV?

FrostByte
13 minutes ago, Juan Simón said:

I was surprised that this version works very well on a TV and is much more complete (in terms of configuration). Why not just release this one for Android and Android TV?

I believe their stated goal is to eventually go to one Android app partly due to the time spent developing two apps.  There are a few more things in the ATV app I hope they bring over to the standard Android app before it goes to the store for TV devices.

• Agree 1

rbjtech
10 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

There are a few more things in the ATV app I hope they bring over to the standard Android app before it goes to the store for TV devices.

Maybe all of it ? 🤪

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
purger500

I have the same issue. Video stutters when resuming video with DTS-HDMA in Android TV app (2.0.83) on Shield Pro 2019. Manual rewind solves the problem, but it is annoying. On standard android app on the same device (Shield Pro 2019) there is no problem.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 12:03 PM, purger500 said:

I have the same issue. Video stutters when resuming video with DTS-HDMA in Android TV app (2.0.83) on Shield Pro 2019. Manual rewind solves the problem, but it is annoying. On standard android app on the same device (Shield Pro 2019) there is no problem.  

Hi @purger500 are you still having an issue with this?

Juan Simón
On 11/18/2022 at 6:03 PM, purger500 said:

This is not entirely true. In the Android app (not TV) on Shield Pro 2019 it also fails when resuming (or fast forwarding/rewinding) a video with DTS-HD audio. In fact, the problem is still in both Android versions of Emby. Although it is true that in the pure Android version it is easier to recover the normal playback.

What I am wondering is if Emby has looked for a solution to this problem because since June 7, which I reported the problem, it has not been fixed.

rbjtech

I don't use the Android App (and won't until it's fully functional and 'released') - but on AndroidTV App and the Shield 2019 Pro - I have never had any issues resuming DTS-HD..nor ff or rewinding ?

I think the 'handshake' between the devices plays a large part in this - some devices seem to 'recover' better (I use a Denon AVR for example), while other devices struggle and need a resync.

The other aspect might be that the player is needing to extract the DTS Core from the DTS-HD because it can't natively play it - and it is this process where it is failing.