Some videos won't play on Nvidia Shield (HTTP error code 416 in logs)

Guest idiom5570
Go to solution Solved by Guest idiom5570,

Guest idiom5570

Hello,

Thanks for making a great app! I'm hoping someone can help...

I use the Nvidia Shield TV and occasionally have videos that will not play. I just get the loading icon and nothing happens. For the same video, though, I can watch it on my Android phone with no problems.

After using Emby's "convert" functionality, the video will then work.

I've looked in the server logs and see a lot of this repeating when the error condition occurs:

Info Server: http/1.1 Response 416 to host2. Time: 5ms. http://host1/emby/videos/195/stream.mkv?DeviceId=xxx&MediaSourceId=xxx&Static=true&PlaySessionId=xxx

The "416" error does not appear anywhere else in the logs when things are working properly. I see that this code refers to "416 Range Not Satisfiable". This makes me wonder if this is some client-side issue where the Android TV app is requesting an invalid video range.

Once the conversion completes and the video plays, there are no HTTP 416 codes being returned.

The video type is 1080p/H264 and the audio is AAC 5.1, both before and after conversion, and .mkv files. The Nvidia Shield is doing direct play, the Android phone was transcoding.

Everything is up to date on the most recent versions.

If anyone has an idea of what might be happening, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Edited by idiom5570
add info on direct/transcode

5 hours ago, idiom5570 said:

the Android phone was transcoding.

Hi.  That is why that app is not having the issue - it is being converted during playback.

5 hours ago, idiom5570 said:

This would indicate to me a problem with the file.  If you simply remux it, does it then play okay?

Guest idiom5570

Thanks everyone.

I wanted to add more info. My Nvidia Shield is still stuck with a spinning circle, not playing anything. However, the server dashboard shows the client as playing with the time counter moving forward, as if it is actually progressing through the video.

Also, the video plays fine on a desktop with VLC.

@Luke - Attached is a log file taken when this is happening - I rotated the log right before playing on the Nvidia, so it is short.

@ebr - I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to "simply remux" the video. 😕 If you let me know, I can try.

@justinrh - Really? Is there some difference between the APK on GitHub and the one in the Play Store? Sorry if this is a silly question, fairly new to Emby.

emby-screenshot.png

embyserver.txt

• Solution
Guest idiom5570

Hmmm... I just selected "Playback Correction" in the Nvidia app and it started playing fine.

Honestly, that is probably good enough for me. It happens seldomly enough that this isn't a big deal.

Here it is playing now. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time, I wasn't aware of this option.

emby-2.png

justinrh

You are saying the Emby app on the Shield has a "Playback Correction" button?  Where might this be?

13 hours ago, justinrh said:

You are saying the Emby app on the Shield has a "Playback Correction" button?  Where might this be?

image.png