Emby Server Update "Please restart the server..." no update happens

phlox

phlox

I did a quick search and didn't see this anywhere so apologies if this is a duplicate issue.

I have updates turned on and the server should reboot itself, however, whenever it "updates" it reboots and loads to the previous version (currently 4.7.1.0 trying to update to 4.7.2.0) and then continues to give a "Please restart the server to finish applying updates." It did this when updating to 4.7.1.0 from the version before that as well and i manually downloaded and installed the version. But i don't want to have to keep doing that. How can I get the server to actually complete the installs to the new versions?

Operating in Windows 10 (Pro)

Hello phlox,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi.  Rebooting the machine should work.  Something is holding open a file that is preventing the update most likely.

visproduction

I have Windows 10 32bit which might contribute to this issue. 

I fixed this by downloading the latest version Windows X86 from https://emby.media/windows-server.html and manually copying the system folder over the old system.  I had to tweak a few issues with custom css again.  Otherwise everything works and the update showsversion 4.7.2.0 up to date.

phlox

so when i manually tried to install it was saying a file was in use, exiting the server and trying the install still showed a file in use so the reboot and then install fixed this.. but i still want to not have to reboot my PC every time when it should just be a basic server restart.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, phlox said:

so when i manually tried to install it was saying a file was in use, exiting the server and trying the install still showed a file in use so the reboot and then install fixed this.. but i still want to not have to reboot my PC every time when it should just be a basic server restart.

You would have to figure out what on your system is still holding the server folder open.  Most of the time if I have this issue it is usually the Browser holding the folder.

A quick google search will give you option to try and find the process locking the folder.

blizbiggy

I too had this problem.  What I had to do to resolve this is to download the latest version (don't install yet), disable the automatic start up on boot in the settings, reboot my machine, run the update that I downloaded, and re-enabled the startup on boot.  All is well now.

• Thanks 1