Frame rate sync doesn't work (any more) on my ATV 4K clients

DocEagle

DocEagle

I'm fairly new to Emby and I love it. My server runs on a QNAP NAS and I use ATV 4K devices as clients. I recently upgraded to version 4.7.1.0 and today I upgraded to 4.7.2.0. With these versions I have problems with frame rate sync. On the ATV's the option "Match Frame Rate" is set, but using the Emby app the adjustment does not work, neither with the native player nor using mpv.

If I play the same media with the player from MrMC, the synchronization works flawlessly.

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63790029118.txt MediaInfo.txt

vdatanet
2 hours ago, DocEagle said:

I'm fairly new to Emby and I love it. My server runs on a QNAP NAS and I use ATV 4K devices as clients. I recently upgraded to version 4.7.1.0 and today I upgraded to 4.7.2.0. With these versions I have problems with frame rate sync. On the ATV's the option "Match Frame Rate" is set, but using the Emby app the adjustment does not work, neither with the native player nor using mpv.

If I play the same media with the player from MrMC, the synchronization works flawlessly.

embyserver.txt 42.03 kB · 0 downloads hardware_detection-63790029118.txt 184.61 kB · 0 downloads MediaInfo.txt 3.54 kB · 1 download

ffmpeg log? Frame rate match only works using native player, mkv files require at least direct streaming, so at least there's a direct streaming ffmpeg log.

DocEagle

I found out what happened. Changing the player (from mpv to native player) a message box says you have to restart the app. Obviously this didn’t work for me, but after restarting the ATV frame rate change (using the native player) works as expected. Thanks to @vdatanet.

• Thanks 1

DocEagle

Unfortunately, this was not the solution that was found after all, but rather a random result. Today, despite a restart, the synchronization did not work again. Instead of 23.976 fps, the media file was played with the system default of 50 fps. 

A ffmpeg log matching the session was not generated either. That's why I have uploaded yesterday's ffmpeg log instead.

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63790143765.txt ffmpeg-directstream-b6d97a28-70fc-4631-ad29-329e09b2ca86_1.txt

DocEagle

Am I really the only ATV user who has problems with the frame rate sync? Is it possible that switching to the native player is not done correctly? I think that happens just by deselecting the mpv player in the settings menu and restarting the app. Meanwhile I have converted the mkv files to mp4, yet the sync does not work. It is exasperating.

stefan1983
2 hours ago, DocEagle said:

Am I really the only ATV user who has problems with the frame rate sync? Is it possible that switching to the native player is not done correctly? I think that happens just by deselecting the mpv player in the settings menu and restarting the app. Meanwhile I have converted the mkv files to mp4, yet the sync does not work. It is exasperating.

I have the same issue and use mrmc because of that.

DocEagle
1 hour ago, stefan1983 said:

I have the same issue and use mrmc because of that.

This is true and I'm aware of that, but apparently MrMC software maintenance has been discontinued.

We looked at their source code a while back and they are using a private Apple method to change the refresh rate that violates Apple store policy. That's why we've never added it ourselves to the mpv player. They're using a clever technique to hide it, but we're not taking that chance and submitting it to the store like that.

However it should still work with Emby when you use the native player option and not mpv.

DocEagle
33 minutes ago, Luke said:

However it should still work with Emby when you use the native player option and not mpv.

I would be happy if it worked that way. As I wrote above, I unchecked the mpv player in the settings, which means I use the native player. Unfortunately the frame rate match does not work for me. Obviously the same for @stefan1983.

3 minutes ago, DocEagle said:

I would be happy if it worked that way. As I wrote above, I unchecked the mpv player in the settings, which means I use the native player. Unfortunately the frame rate match does not work for me. Obviously the same for @stefan1983.

Is the media direct playing?

stefan1983
17 minutes ago, DocEagle said:

Yep, same for me.

• 1 month later...
unisoft
On 15/06/2022 at 21:23, Luke said:

We looked at their source code a while back and they are using a private Apple method to change the refresh rate that violates Apple store policy. That's why we've never added it ourselves to the mpv player. They're using a clever technique to hide it, but we're not taking that chance and submitting it to the store like that.

but the native player cant play normal recorded tv files that are H264 1920x1080 50i in mp4 container. It puts a message up saying "incompatible". Fine if 50p just not 50i at that resolution. Emby doesnt even try a transcode. Plays fine in MPV but MPV can't frame rate match for other stuff like movies.

On 8/1/2022 at 3:25 AM, unisoft said:

but the native player cant play normal recorded tv files that are H264 1920x1080 50i in mp4 container. It puts a message up saying "incompatible". Fine if 50p just not 50i at that resolution. Emby doesnt even try a transcode. Plays fine in MPV but MPV can't frame rate match for other stuff like movies.

This will be changing in the near future so that it would play with the best available method rather than just putting up an error message.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
GaryMUK

Could an option be added to use MPV for TV streams and recordings and then Native player for everything else?   The main problem with the native player is that it freaks out about various TV streams, some BBC streams will come up with blank video, but the audio is fine, sometimes it plays, sometimes it errors.   MPV would be fine for this as TV will only normally be at one set refresh rate.  So we could set the default refresh rate of the ATV to the native TV broadcast rate, then use Native player to refresh rate sync everything else.

Would this be workable until such time as MPV playback can incorporate refresh rate switching?

Edited by GaryMUK

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2022 at 12:03 PM, GaryMUK said:

Could an option be added to use MPV for TV streams and recordings and then Native player for everything else?   The main problem with the native player is that it freaks out about various TV streams, some BBC streams will come up with blank video, but the audio is fine, sometimes it plays, sometimes it errors.   MPV would be fine for this as TV will only normally be at one set refresh rate.  So we could set the default refresh rate of the ATV to the native TV broadcast rate, then use Native player to refresh rate sync everything else.

Would this be workable until such time as MPV playback can incorporate refresh rate switching?

Stay tuned. It's going to get more automatic in the near future: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
GaryMUK

Luke, this is great news!   Awersome.   The sooner the better.  I changed from Fire TV sticks to Apple TVs, but I had to switch to using Plex (which works perfectly on refresh rate switches and Recorded TV playback),   But my goodness I want to move back to Emby once this is working.  Emby server is light years ahead of Plex in terms of metadata grabbers and EPG data.  So the day this port completes I'll be back on Emby!

Edited by GaryMUK
  • Thanks 1