Missing genres

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

A few weeks ago, I began to notice my tv shows details page were showing little or even no genres.

When I check a particular serie on TVDB and TMDB, they display consistent genres, usually multi-genres.

For some reason, Emby was showing only one genres, often none at all, while providers website showed multiple genres.

Refresh metadata does not fix it. So far the solution is manual, one by one update,. which takes forever.

Is anyone familiar with this issue ?

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

On a related subject, the order in which multigenres are listed should be alphabetical, but I often find its not.

Fixing this implies adding a dummy genre, then removing it (with trashcan), then save. This forces an alphabetical reorder of all genres,

but is also tedious.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

visproduction

CV,

Hi, I have aTV library with the shows titles exactly what IMDB lists including the year or years.
Show Title (1975-1980) 
or 

Show Title (2018-)

Then I have usually a main folder with no videos and then 'Show title Season 1', Show title Season 2'  etc.  

Then in the season subfolders I put Show Title S01E01, either all videos in the Season folder, or earlier, I used to make another subfolder Show title.S01E01 folder and put the actual episode in the subfolder.  Either way all my shows gets correct genre automatically.

I am guessing you are maybe not using the exact name from imdb,  I remember if I miss one letter, none of the genres, nor thumbnails populate.

===

The alpha sort... hmmm.  only a guess, do you have a browser or workstation with alternate language turned on.  Maybe the sort order is defaulting to the other language and still showing English.  I know that seems weird, but when I test languages in browsers for clients, it's pretty buggy.

Hope that helps.

CharleyVarrick

Hi,

I too have well structured libraries, with few and small differences.

Name is based mostly on tvdb, and I add year after name only as needed (if 2 or more identical named show exist).

In the metadata page, the external id numbers are spot on, so its not because its wrongly named.

Next time I grab a new show to add to my tv show library, I'll post a log if it may help.

CharleyVarrick
1 hour ago, visproduction said:

The alpha sort... hmmm.  only a guess, do you have a browser or workstation with alternate language turned on.  Maybe the sort order is defaulting to the other language and still showing English.  I know that seems weird, but when I test languages in browsers for clients, it's pretty buggy.

Interesting, my Windows is French Canada.

Then again Comedy is Comédie, and Drama is Drame,

Music is Musique and Documentary is Documentaire.

So that wouldn't change sort order.

In fact when I either add, or add and remove a genre, it fixes the alphabetic genre order (same windows, same browser etc)

image.thumb.png.cfe50924db15f3bb05e5623291ac50f5.png

image.thumb.png.054133b35ba7d49d6fc3697d6dd8aa2f.png

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

For the last month or so, I have managed to manually fix missing multi genres/no genres/out of order genres manually for my 3k tv shows, but I need to have a way to automate the process for my movie library, fixing 16k one by one would take me a year.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

You can just refresh the metadata in emby server and it will pull them down again from whatever metadata provider you configured as the highest priority on that library.

CharleyVarrick
1 hour ago, Luke said:

You can just refresh the metadata in emby server and it will pull them down again from whatever metadata provider you configured as the highest priority on that library.

In the last month of fixing the tv show manually, I tried refreshing metadata even just one series at a time, sadly to no effects.

My experience with refreshing MD at a library wide scale is it might kinda works for the first few, then providers just ignore 99.9% of refresh request.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

We'd have to look at a specific example:

But refresh requests are certainly not ignored.

CharleyVarrick
3 hours ago, Luke said:

But refresh requests are certainly not ignored.

This has been discussed and observed before, with large sized libraries, the md providers sense its getting too many requests in a given time from ip: x and just stops "interacting" with it. Kind of a flood control.

CharleyVarrick
17 hours ago, visproduction said:

I am able to reproduce the behavior.

Pick one tv show with multiple genres (ex: "action-crime-drama"),

image.png.4c922ddce1e67f2f86f979288e566dd8.png

edit metadata and delete (trashcan) action, leaving only crime and drama.

Unlock the Genres field and hit Save.

image.png.4ea31e24c432907ef2af6635cd6d0cd0.png

Refresh metadata on the show and it should re tag the movie genres "crime-drama-action"

image.png.3219f7e36c8c0071728c32b10ab50594.png

Here, it even inverted crime and drama.

If you want to fix the out of order genres:

Back in edit metadata/Genres section: lock genres (green), unlock genres (grey) and hit Save.

This manual genres editing forces an alpha reorder....

image.png.84389f00c505b81b469cda2834f37a18.png

Edited by CharleyVarrick

I just tested this and it worked just fine. The genres I deleted came back after the metadata refresh. Let's look at a specific example:

Thanks.

Happy2Play
9 hours ago, CharleyVarrick said:

I am able to reproduce the behavior.

Pick one tv show with multiple genres (ex: "action-crime-drama"),

image.png.4c922ddce1e67f2f86f979288e566dd8.png

edit metadata and delete (trashcan) action, leaving only crime and drama.

Unlock the Genres field and hit Save.

image.png.4ea31e24c432907ef2af6635cd6d0cd0.png

Refresh metadata on the show and it should re tag the movie genres "crime-drama-action"

image.png.3219f7e36c8c0071728c32b10ab50594.png

Here, it even inverted crime and drama.

If you want to fix the out of order genres:

Back in edit metadata/Genres section: lock genres (green), unlock genres (grey) and hit Save.

This manual genres editing forces an alpha reorder....

image.png.84389f00c505b81b469cda2834f37a18.png

This is reproduceable with those steps.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

I just tested this and it worked just fine. The genres I deleted came back after the metadata refresh. Let's look at a specific example:

Thanks.

Emby will use TVDB order from json, but any edit in Emby reorders genre.

Take Star Trek Picard json

"genres": [{
            "id": 2,
            "name": "Science Fiction",
            "slug": "science-fiction"
        }, {
            "id": 12,
            "name": "Drama",
            "slug": "drama"
        }, {
            "id": 18,
            "name": "Adventure",
            "slug": "adventure"
        }, {
            "id": 19,
            "name": "Action",
            "slug": "action"
        }
    ],
  <genre>Science Fiction</genre>
  <genre>Drama</genre>
  <genre>Adventure</genre>
  <genre>Action</genre>

image.png.e532ea439279ea4063510aff2af9668f.png

Now Edit metadata and lock genre and they are reordered alphabetically and nfo rewritten to change order.

<genre>Action</genre>
  <genre>Adventure</genre>
  <genre>Drama</genre>
  <genre>Science Fiction</genre>

image.png.ad65e83f2c46adb072959f99e1806223.png

Since Edit metadata Genre is sorted alphabetically by default vs the actual display order any edit save forces the reorder.

OK but the original issue of missing genres is not reproducible, right? I can't get that to happen.

CharleyVarrick
2 hours ago, Luke said:

OK but the original issue of missing genres is not reproducible, right? I can't get that to happen.

Not as far as I know, it just happened, and i don't know when it did