Transcode in Advance

nsmal24

I am new to Media Browser and am loving it.  What a great team supporting/building an awesome product.  

In my testing, I have found that my son (almost 3yrs old) watches the same stuff over and over.  It would be awesome if we could pre-transcode select movies or even an entire library and save the result permanently (without having duplicate movies in our libraries).  I have tons of unused disk space so storing the files wouldn't be an issue.  HDDs are so cheap/GB now that most people probably wouldn't mind either.

Just an idea.  Thanks for all you do.

• Like 1

Beardyname

This is an cool idea, and i for one would like to see something like this in some format in the future. Maybe this can be implemented when the devs are going for content syncing? anyways +1 from me.

Chris Jones

Would the result be stored as well as the originals or would it replace them?

You could always just run your content through Handbrake to get it into the right format? That's what i do with mine: (MakeMKV -> Handbrake -> MediaElch -> MediaBrowser, though i've automated the first two and i want the MediaElch rename step to be part of MediaBrowser ideally).

Spaceboy

Its been asked for. I support the idea. Not to replace at all, but if the movie is being transcoded for mobile use, I'd rather have the transcoded copy retained for future use than transcode again

Would the result be stored as well as the originals or would it replace them?

You could always just run your content through Handbrake to get it into the right format? That's what i do with mine: (MakeMKV -> Handbrake -> MediaElch -> MediaBrowser, though i've automated the first two and i want the MediaElch rename step to be part of MediaBrowser ideally).

Retain original. Preferably, I'd like to store 480/720/and 1080p transcodes for highly-used media permanently without duplicate library entries.