Emby scanning really slow.

kamhouse

kamhouse

Since I'm not happy with Plex pursuing trash TV streaming with most of their resources, I figured I would give Emby another try.

I installed the latest 4.7.2.0 on a server running QTS 5.0.0.1986.  Same server as the media and Plex is currently installed on.

I created a TV library from some DVD TV shows and they showed up as expected (I left and returned 30 minutes later).  Then I added another much larger folder of OTA TV recordings. Emby appears to have scanned the top level folders of all the TV show names and then frozen.  After 4 hours it still hasn't added a single poster or season and episode files for the new shows.

I'm assuming that is not normal, but I can't find a status indicator that might indicate what is happening. The TV library does have a progress circle reading 90%.  Seems like it is updated 1% per hour maybe.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Hi, please attach the emby server log from when this happened:

Thanks.

kamhouse

embyserver.txt

I let it run overnight and it has filled in about eight shows. So it isn't completely frozen and is working to some degree. Just seems absurdly slow compared to Plex which rebuilt the entire library once in about half an hour.

Edited by kamhouse

Hi, it looks like you enabled the video preview thumbnail feature? Did you make sure to read the help text underneath the option? I would suggest setting that to Never, and then stop and restart the library scan.

kamhouse

That definitely sped things up.  Plex must do the preview thumbnails in the background after it fills in the main parts of the library.

Edited by kamhouse

6 hours ago, kamhouse said:

That definitely sped things up.  Plex must do the preview thumbnails in the background after it fills in the main parts of the library.

Well so do we, if you set the option to be scheduled task only instead of during both the scan and scheduled task.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I'm having the same issue 😕 really slow scanning. for years i had emby on a desktop PC and now i switched to a Synology DS218+ (6gb ram).

I've downloaded 3 new series/tv show episodes, and it takes more than half hour to get them pop up 😕 i checked multiple community threads and uninstalled plugins based on that, but still slow 😕 

embyserver.txt

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Max6x6x said:

Hi,

I'm having the same issue 😕 really slow scanning. for years i had emby on a desktop PC and now i switched to a Synology DS218+ (6gb ram).

I've downloaded 3 new series/tv show episodes, and it takes more than half hour to get them pop up 😕 i checked multiple community threads and uninstalled plugins based on that, but still slow 😕 

embyserver.txt 280.41 kB · 0 downloads

I'd suggest removing Anime plugin (or disabling it) - or at least not having it as a top preferred provider in your TV shows library. 

42 minutes ago, Max6x6x said:

Hi,

embyserver.txt 280.41 kB · 1 download

There is a lot of log activity coming from the Anilist plugin. You could try removing that, then restarting the server and see how things compare.