Weird problem about tmdb scrap

MutuMutu

MutuMutu

Sorry I posted this is wrong section, should be Emby Server > Synology, could admin plz move it to where it should be?

=====================================================================================

Hey guys,

I am new to nas and emby, and just met this weird problem that drives me crazy. I cannot scrap anything from tmdb in my emby server, but on jellyfin, everything is fine.

To be more specific, I am currently in China mainland and I do edit etc/hosts to unblock api.themoviedb.org. I tested it out, on jellyfin, the hosts editing does make the scraping work or not. but on emby, no matter what IP I edited in hosts, it just wont work. 

I tried to figure it out by myself, and found that on emby server there is a plugin installed by default, MovieDB. but on jellyfin server there is no such thing in plugin list, probably it is embedded? I cannot found any detail about the MovieDB plugin, but on github I found out in jellyfin/jellyfin-plugin-tmdb/Jellyfin.Plugin.Tmdb/Configuration/PluginConfiguration.cs there is a piece of text:

• public string ApiKey { get; set; } = "4219e299c89411838049ab0dab19ebd5";

I am not a programmer, so that's all what I think may be the key to my problem.  It has made me crazy for like 3 days and I am already in a dead end now. Any advice would be helpful, thank you sooo much. 

FYI my emby server is on docker on synology, and the network mode is host not bridge. Same settings on both emby and jellyfin server. 

and in log I do find info like 

2022-06-03 17:33:27.306 Info HttpClient: GET https://api.themoviedb.org/3/configuration?api_key=x_secret1_x
2022-06-03 17:33:40.189 Error HttpClient: Connection to https://api.themoviedb.org/3/configuration?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669 timed out

is it possible that the api_key is the key to solve my problem?

embyserver.txt

Edited by MutuMutu
typo

Hello MutuMutu,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

HI, I don't think that is the problem. I think it is a problem of connectivity. I would take another look at your hosts file.

What address did you use in the hosts file?

MutuMutu
17 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, I don't think that is the problem. I think it is a problem of connectivity. I would take another look at your hosts file.

What address did you use in the hosts file?

54.230.62.121 api.themoviedb.org
143.244.49.180 image.tmdb.org 
54.230.62.22 www.themoviedb.org

and I put these in my pc hosts file and it works fine as well. also it works completely fine on jellyfin server. 

Edited by MutuMutu

Have you tried rebooting the machine after making this change? You may also want to try specifying the ipv6 address of moviedb. It's possible the .net networking libraries are connecting via ipv6.

You could install something like wireshark to monitor the traffic and see what's going on.

MutuMutu
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Have you tried rebooting the machine after making this change? You may also want to try specifying the ipv6 address of moviedb. It's possible the .net networking libraries are connecting via ipv6.

You could install something like wireshark to monitor the traffic and see what's going on.

1. rebooting

Yes I've done that, reboot container, docker, or even entire nas, not work. On jellyfin server, hosts editing works right after I turn off and on container, but it doesn't on emby server. 

2. ipv6

I use these ip below and it still not working, and on jellyfin server it's not working in ipv6 hosts as well. 

2600:9000:2001:a000:c:174a:c400:93a1 api.themoviedb.org
2600:9000:2366:7600:14:41bb:de80:93a1 image.tmdb.org 
2600:9000:2150:3000:e:5373:440:93a1 www.themoviedb.org

3. wireshark

Found wireshark in docker, but I basically know nothing about linux :( gonna try google how to use it tmr cuz it's 4am here, gotta go sleep. Anyway thx for your help, if you come up with any other idea about fixing this painful problem plz let me know. Thx bro. 

Can you capture the Wireshark output and then provide it here? That would be very helpful. Thanks.

MutuMutu
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you capture the Wireshark output and then provide it here? That would be very helpful. Thanks.

I tried to use wireshark and these are what I get, and fyi this below is my hosts setting.

54.230.62.121 api.themoviedb.org
143.244.49.180 image.tmdb.org 
54.230.62.22 www.themoviedb.org

In jellyfin output I do see the ip 143.244.49.180, but nothing about these 3 ips in emby out put. 

I have done the same thing during 2 captures, right clicked the same movie and select refresh metadata, and manually input TheMovieDB Id to search in "Identify". Again works fine on jellyfin and nothing on emby (

emby.pcapng jellyfin.pcapng

Edited by MutuMutu

MutuMutu
5 hours ago, Luke said:

and this is the emby capture while using ipv6 hosts:

2600:9000:2001:a000:c:174a:c400:93a1 api.themoviedb.org
2600:9000:2366:7600:14:41bb:de80:93a1 image.tmdb.org 
2600:9000:2150:3000:e:5373:440:93a1 www.themoviedb.org

BTW I do realize that there is another difference between my jellyfin and emby settings. When creating embyserver container I followed a guide to add --env UID=0 --env GID=0 --env GIDLIST=0, as it says to grant all the permission for iGPU transcoding, but on jellyfin server container I did not do that. Could it be the reason for the problem? sry if its a dumb question :(

emby ipv6.pcapng

MutuMutu
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Damn I think I fixed it. Edit hosts in my router and it worked, at least so far.

So it means etc/hosts doesnt affect embyserver container? I think I checked /volume1/@docker/containers/blablablablablabla/, the hosts file there do update after editing /etc/hosts and reboot container.  

Edited by MutuMutu