NextPVR - channel missing and recording question

chjohans

chjohans
4 minutes ago, emveepee said:

You won't be getting XMLTV "tags" from NextPVR.  NextPVR parses XMLTV and other EPG source and then it is provided in JSON Emby.  One thing that NextPVR doesn't support from xmltv_ns format unless the season and episode (first two values) are populated.

I wonder if you have to set you XMLTV data from NextPVR to None in Emby and then save it again to XMLTV like I have to do with the Emby guide source

Martin

Thanks, NextPVR gets fed an XMLTV with the <episode-num> tags and shows the correct season and episode in it's EPG. Emby show the exact same EPG at the moment.

But not sure what you mean by "set you XMLTV data from NextPVR to None in Emby and then save it again to XMLTV". Right now I have no EPG source defined under "Live TV" in Emby, and the NextPVR plugin has no configurable options.

I don't think it's connected but I notice that my Emby server is complaining about "Remove Old Sync Data failed" since a few days, probably since a version update:

snap003149.png.24c16af0c907c9e44f6d2024a7e1f002.png

They all say the same:

snap003150.png.19de8abf7754bc4fd16525284873bcf1.png

57 minutes ago, chjohans said:

Thanks, NextPVR gets fed an XMLTV with the <episode-num> tags and shows the correct season and episode in it's EPG. Emby show the exact same EPG at the moment.

But not sure what you mean by "set you XMLTV data from NextPVR to None in Emby and then save it again to XMLTV". Right now I have no EPG source defined under "Live TV" in Emby, and the NextPVR plugin has no configurable options.

I don't think it's connected but I notice that my Emby server is complaining about "Remove Old Sync Data failed" since a few days, probably since a version update:

snap003149.png.24c16af0c907c9e44f6d2024a7e1f002.png

They all say the same:

snap003150.png.19de8abf7754bc4fd16525284873bcf1.png

Just a guess but maybe that's the Kodi sync plugin. Nothing related to this.

chjohans
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Just a guess but maybe that's the Kodi sync plugin. Nothing related to this.

Yup.. I have that installed. WIll just ignore it for now, hopefully it will be removed soon. If I just can get Live TV in Emby to work ;)

emveepee

I am confused if you use Emby guide data or NextPVR, I recommend Emby for speed.  My point was I have trouble getting the guide data in Emby, it looks like it is mappeded but it isnt and I have to edit each channel to fix it, first saving to none and the then saving to the channel that Emby says i t is mapped to.   Sounds like you have it working.

Martin

chjohans
On 16/06/2022 at 07:55, emveepee said:

I am confused if you use Emby guide data or NextPVR, I recommend Emby for speed.  My point was I have trouble getting the guide data in Emby, it looks like it is mappeded but it isnt and I have to edit each channel to fix it, first saving to none and the then saving to the channel that Emby says i t is mapped to.   Sounds like you have it working.

Martin

Yes, I actually do have it working now, finally! :)

I'm now using NextPVR as my backend as it supports recoding/Live TV from all my tuners. I'm scraping my own XMLTV using WebGrabPlus, to a file and I'm pointing NextPVR to that file. This works fine for guide data in NextPVR, including series info (like season and epsiode number).

When I had all the trouble above I had attached the same XMLTV source to Emby's Live TV, and mapped the guide to each channel. When I did that the guide would show just fine in Emby, but I had all sorts og issues with series recordings, it would not use the season & episode number and only "timed recordings" would work. I then deleted the XMLTV source from Emby's Live TV section, so each channel were not mapped to any guide data. SInce @Luke said that Emby would fetch EPG data through the NextPVR plugin. The problem persited, and I asked if the Guide data were somehow cached by Emby, the response I got indicated that a "Refresh Guide" on the server would refresh the guide data. But my series recording persisted.

That is, until 7 days had passed. which happened to be the timeframe for the Guide data I had attached to Emby's Live TV section and later deleted. After 7 days had passed, all of a sudden like magic series recordings works just fine, and it's using the season & episode numbers just fine when scheduling recordings. Everything seems to work just fine now, I can record series correctly, and use both tuners in my Hauppauge dualHD USB stick.

So my best guess is that the guide data were somehow cached by Emby, and once those data "expired" things works great when just getting guide data through the NextPVR plugin. It's confusing that there is an option for Guide data under Live TV when things totally break if you use it - in case I'm using the NextPVR plugin. WHen I was using the built-in Hauppauge/WinTV support things worked different, then I had to add my XMLTV source under Emby's Live TV settings to get a working EPG.

So to summarize, if you're using the NextPVR plugin, use EPG in NextPVR and *not* in Emby's Live TV section, or you'll probably experience the same mess as I did.

@Luke - so this issue seems pretty much solved, but some help info in Emby re when to define an EPG source under "Live TV" and when not do to that (don't do it when using NextPVR - but what about other TV servers?) would be extremely helpful.

@emveepee or @Luke - do you happen to know if I add a second Hauppauge dualHD to the NextPVR backend and tune in the exact same channels, will nextPVR understand that the channels on all tuners are the same? And will Emby then through the NextPVR plugin still see just one tuner, but with the ability to stream/record 4 streams in parallell from NextPVR? That would be just perfect if it worked that way. :)

I really wish Emby would not have taken upon itself to *be*  the PVR, but instead scheduled recordings through NextPVR (or whatever backend is in use), that way other clients than Emby could have used the same TV server backend. And those TV server backends have been doing this for years and some a decade and two, so they are probably better optimized to handle recordings. But it is what it is I guess.

Anyhow, I'm now pretty happy with my setup, and the "wife acceptance factor" has increased quite a bit after switching from Kodi to Emby on the client side. And Emby Theatre seems much more "lightweight" than Kodi, and works great on cheap Roku sticks, and on the Apple TV. It also helps a lot that EMby looks exactly the same on an iPad or Android tablet, great when you're on the move. Kodi would run pretty slow with the Emby plugin and a Live TV plugin on anything much slower than an Intel NUC, and I don't miss the dreaded "Emby Library sync" issues I had with Kodi either.

emveepee

In NextPVR you can merge channels for many tuners.  If they are different types make sure you don't copy them, scan and then merge.  Depending on the mux you might be able to stream 4 now.

Emby (at least with NextPVR) doesn't have any notion of number of tuners, It blindly schedules, and will never fail when scheduling in the future.  Scheduled recordings will also fail if live TV is playing and there aren't enough tuners.  On its own NextPVR prioritizes recordings over live TV.

Martin

chjohans
6 hours ago, emveepee said:

In NextPVR you can merge channels for many tuners.  If they are different types make sure you don't copy them, scan and then merge.  Depending on the mux you might be able to stream 4 now.

Emby (at least with NextPVR) doesn't have any notion of number of tuners, It blindly schedules, and will never fail when scheduling in the future.  Scheduled recordings will also fail if live TV is playing and there aren't enough tuners.  On its own NextPVR prioritizes recordings over live TV.

Martin

Ok, thanks for the useful info. Sounds like NextPVR are doing things right, so will tick with that as my TV server backend!