Problem watching while recording

FrAllard

FrAllard

Hi,

I have a problem where I cannot watch a show while it's recording. If I wait for the recording to stop, then I can watch properly. I think this is due to a bad signal or a glitch in the IPTV signal. I have both IPTV provider and HDHomeRun OTA and they both do the same. When the problem appear the image freeze and I can't start it back again. I can start it back from the beginning and if I skip forward it crash at the exact same place. Then I wait for the recording to finish and I can continue from where it crashed like nothing happened. On IPTV it sometimes can recover and after 3 or 4 times it just freeze there and do nothing. IPTV is h264 where HDHomeRun is MPEG2 in my case, no way to transcode at the device.

Unfortunately I don't have a log at the moment, I just tried to generate a problem I disconnected the antenna for a second on the tuner and Emby happily carried on. I really don't know what is happening, I'm hoping some one else has the same problem and can provide some insight.

I began the setup of tvheadend in order to bypass Emby recording process, but found out that only the "tuner" part of tvheadend is used, Emby still does the recording.

I'll try to isolate a log when the problem happen next time.

Can you tell me how many logs should I expect of a show recording and watching the recording show from the beginning skipping commercials? Would that be two separate logs?

FrAllard

I will try to create the problem tonight and extract the logs right away. Even with the "Anonymize log contents" I seem to still see url and ip addresses... My server is using a FQDN and it still show. The IPTV source is also showing. Is there a way to remove that from the logs and still show relevant information for you?

1 hour ago, FrAllard said:

I will try to create the problem tonight and extract the logs right away. Even with the "Anonymize log contents" I seem to still see url and ip addresses... My server is using a FQDN and it still show. The IPTV source is also showing. Is there a way to remove that from the logs and still show relevant information for you?

The new log anonymization feature should help take care of that.

FrAllard

Oh and I can listen live during hours without any problem whatsoever on the same channel I used to create the problem for the logs.

But recording and listening to the recording from the beginning while still recording doesn't work.

I wait until the end of the recording and I can play it without any issue.

Apparently the client doesn't seem to matter, it did that on my nVidia Shield and on the Windows App.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I really want to explain the problem clearly so it can give you a clue of what is happening.

FrAllard

Was my logs what you needed to find the problem. I looked at it a little bit but could not find the cause of the error.

Are you still having an issue with this? Have you updated to Emby Server 4.7.2?

FrAllard

Yes I updated 2 days ago and yes the problem is still happening. 

It's a little bit different it seems. The video is playing as usual until I try to skip forward or backward then big problem. The video restart from the beginning or just sometimes it just go back a little bit even though I try to skip forward. 

I will do a new log capture when no one else is on the server, I have someone on the server at the moment and it make it difficult to extract the right logs.

Regards

nikdom

I have the same issue. 
What I observed is, that for me it is just happening in the ATV client. Via web client I am able to start watching ongoing recordings from the beginning.

FrAllard

I was using the Windows Client today and it does happen when I use the ATV too. Will try the web client later. 

• 3 weeks later...

HI, are you still running into this? Can you please try with Emby Server 4.7.5?

nikdom

@Luke on AppleTV the fix does not have any implications, the issue still exists. 

• I schedule a recording from now to +1h
  • start watching the recording in 5 minutes
  • the stream on ATV will start playing the live stream (so from +5min) and it is not possible to go back to the beginning

In the Web Player it works fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
mike3821

Because of this issue, I’m starting to look at alternatives that will allow you to watch a recording in progress.

will this be fixed any time soon?

Edited by mike3821

mike3821

Any progress with this? I just moved over to Channnels DVR because my wife is giving me shit.

Please fix so I don’t have to depend on two services. Bah 

mike3821

Found something of interest. I changed my DVR path to local storage instead of my shared folder.

It appears I can watch currently recorded TV now. I was reviewing the logs and I was getting Access Denied Permissions? Strange, since it can create recordings and I can also watch recordings...

Picture below shows when mapped via CIFS off Debian 11.

image.thumb.png.943ee86415a0bb10a2280899d95fc436.png

Edited by mike3821

mike3821

Yep this was it. I moved to NFS and now recordings seem to be working and I CAN now watch while recording.

ODD....

For the Emby team....

image.png.39e303145a0bac4a9b779352024ea663.png

Edited by mike3821

3 hours ago, mike3821 said:

Yep this was it. I moved to NFS and now recordings seem to be working and I CAN now watch while recording.

ODD....

For the Emby team....

image.png.39e303145a0bac4a9b779352024ea663.png

Hi, what does this tell us?

mike3821
40 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, what does this tell us?

Besides logs, would this not help any to know the versions. Maybe cifs is a better option to see?

I recall issues with samba/cifs a few Emby versions back. Maybe still issues lingering?

• 2 weeks later...