Emby through Docker or Package Center?

BillybobBilly

BillybobBilly

I've been running Emby through Docker since I first set up my NAS and now I see that there is an Emby package straight through Package Center that appears to bypass Docker altogether.

I tried installing the package but it looked like there were less configuration options and it didn't recognize my configs (so it was asking me all the first-time installation questions). I didn't bother with getting it all configured again because it already works through Docker...

Anyway, my question is this. Can someone give me a brief breakdown of pros/cons to using docker/package for Emby? Ultimately I'm trying to work out ways of making things work a bit more efficiently so my users have a smooth experience using Emby on their various devices.

Hi, I generally would suggest the Synology-specific package as that's what gets more testing from us, and Synology also puts it through their own test process as well.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 5:38 AM, BillybobBilly said:

I tried installing the package but it looked like there were less configuration options and it didn't recognize my configs (so it was asking me all the first-time installation questions). I didn't bother with getting it all configured again because it already works through Docker...

Anyway, my question is this. Can someone give me a brief breakdown of pros/cons to using docker/package for Emby? Ultimately I'm trying to work out ways of making things work a bit more efficiently so my users have a smooth experience using Emby on their various devices.

It would be a new setup/configuration as far as Emby knows.  Your other setup is inside a docker container. If you were going to migrate you could copy the Emby folders out of the container.

The main reason I'd run native is simplicity.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
BillybobBilly

To follow up on this, is there any kind of performance benefit to using the Synology package over doing it through Docker? More efficient RAM/CPU use?

Not necessarily. The primary benefit is that the native package gets more of our Synology testing time.

20 minutes ago, heffeque said:

I'm assuming 4.7.X will come to Synology's Package Center soon?

HI, yes it will.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
30 minutes ago, mata7 said:

hi luke are you guys still going to support DSM 6 on the future? thanks

We are still producing DSM 6 packages and will continue to do so, so yes, that's not going away. But we may not go through the effort of getting it published in Synology package center because at this point DSM 6 usage seems very low.