[Samsung App] TrueHD not supported?

AndaPlays

AndaPlays

Hey,

so yesterday I did watch The Batman. I wanted to watch with TRUEHD. But Emby said that the Audio Codec was not supported.

I have a QN95B and a Q900A Soundbar. The Soundbar is connected via HDMI with eARC and does support Dolby Atmos or TRUEHD. 

Is this perhaps a bug, or am I missing something? 

I attached the logs.

TV.jpg

ffmpeg-remux-74131502-dc40-449f-9d40-842a4dbb6e19_1.txt embyserver.txt

FrostByte

It doesn't matter if you have a good soundbar and eARC.  Since you're playing the movie from the TV then the TV has to have a TrueHD decoder also in order to pass it to your soundbar. 

Check the back of your user's manual and you should see a chart similar to the one in the link below.  Those are the codecs and file formats your TV can support when running apps.  Anything not supported requires transcoding.

You will need something like a nVidia Shield to use HD audio, or use an alternate audio track in order to use the Samsung app.

2022 TV Video Specifications | Samsung Developers

• Like 1

BalthazarBux

I don't know if that is true though FrostByte

I can play files with truehd atmos from USB when in EARC passthrough mode and the ATMOS option chosen.

It was the first thing I tested when I got my Q950A soundbar.

Now I have a Nvidia Shield too though, I wanted the DTS functionality

FrostByte
2 hours ago, BalthazarBux said:

I don't know if that is true though FrostByte

I can play files with truehd atmos from USB when in EARC passthrough mode and the ATMOS option chosen.

It was the first thing I tested when I got my Q950A soundbar.

Now I have a Nvidia Shield too though, I wanted the DTS functionality

That doesn't necessarily mean apps can use TrueHD though.  The chart on the Samsung developer's page (and user's manual) is supposed to be what is available to devs so they know what is supported and what needs converting

Of course, there is always one way to test that.  Turn off transcoding and try playing TrueHD using the Emby client.  If it direct plays without error then the chart on the developers page is wrong and the devs can add an exception for TV model year X and newer.

If you have the opportunity to try it that would be great.  

Edited by FrostByte

AndaPlays

The TV does support AC-4 and DD+ but It seems like not TrueHD. At least according to the chart in the manual. I'll dig around tomorrow. 

supported.PNG

Also this might be interesting:

https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408217194772-Appendix-C-Dolby-Atmos-Delivery-Codecs-

https://developer.dolby.com/technology/dolby-audio/dolby-truehd/

Edited by AndaPlays

• 7 months later...
BalthazarBux

Ok, I totally forgot about this.

I did some testing today.

With dolby-chameleon-lossless-uhd-(www.demolandia.net).m2ts

No re-encoding, transcoding on.

If I direct play from my Emby server with my Samsung QN95A DLNA function it plays with TrueHD.

If I direct play with my app on Nvidia Shield Pro, it does not even start WHEN it is a m2ts-file.

If it is a mkv file (like Dolby_Amaze_Lossless-ATMOS-thedigitaltheater.mkv) , then it plays TrueHD.

Hmm, I´m gonna look a little deeper, if it is something with container or codec or something.

Edit.
Oh, I´m dumb... just realized the file had an E-AC3 track with the Atmos on too...

When I removed all tracks but the TrueHD the TV says it does not support the audio.

Still weird why the m2ts file doesnt play on my Nvidia Shield though, but this is not the forum for that.

Edited by BalthazarBux