Roku no longer working 'held forward' to scroll through commercials

mohoelx
Go to solution Solved by mohoelx,

mohoelx

Not sure if it's the new release of Emby or if my remote is dying, but my Roku Ultra no longer recognizes when I hold down the forward arrow. Any options I should be looking for to toggle?

Thanks 

Hi.  You can just press the forward arrow multiple times until it is going at the rate you wish.  Then press OK or Play when it gets where you want.

• Sad 1

mohoelx

Well, I've confirmed that it is a) not the remote (a second Roku with a different remote is behaving the same) and b) it does appear to be Emby, likely the latest release. On both Roku's I see the same behaviors;

In Emby, push and hold the right or left directional arrow keys only jumps one frame forward or backward, whereas it used to jump one, then start scrolling until released.

In other apps (i.e.; Netflix, Philo) the behavior is the same as it has always been - push and hold, it jumps one frame then starts scrolling until released.

Yes, I can use the FFWD and REW buttons instead, but just wanted to let you know in case this was not an intentional change. Also will have to retrain my fingers! :) #FIRST-WORLD-PROBLEMS!

This is purely an oversight. We do not want you to press more keys. We want to mimic the native Roku experience. You will not have to retrain your fingers. Please give us some time to adjust to feedback. We listen to you guys. Thanks for giving us clues where we need to do better. We want you to be happy because it makes us happy. Thank for choosing Emby. :)

Any other concerns? Did we drop the ball anywhere else? Do not feel the need to pull punches. We want honest feedback. Thank you.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

pwhodges

I prefer known jumps rather than scrolling forward - because advertisement breaks here are almost always a fixed length, so I can just press the right button the requisite number of times to arrive at the right place to continue.  But the jump forward (or back) in the Roku app is fixed at a stupidly small 10sec - I wish I could customise it (I'd choose 30 or even 60 sec forward, 10 sec back).

Paul

13 hours ago, pwhodges said:

But the jump forward (or back) in the Roku app is fixed at a stupidly small 10sec

This is your thumbnail frequency.  If you change that, then the Roku amounts will change as well.

pwhodges

Thanks - but won't that only apply to newly added media?  What will I need to do to change the thumbnails on existing media?

Paul

1 minute ago, pwhodges said:

What will I need to do to change the thumbnails on existing media?

I believe a full metadata refresh should do it.

pwhodges

I'll try that, thanks; I'd wondered if I'd need to find and delete the old thumbnails..

Paul

pwhodges

Hmm.  As the only options available for thumbnails are "chapters" (my preferred setting) and "10 seconds", there isn't any way for me to use this information usefully.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
mohoelx

Hey @speechles ... I noticed a new server release a couple days back (running 4.7.3.0 now). If that was supposed to resolve the Roku buttons I brought up, I don't think it did. I've also rebooted my Roku since updating to 4.7.3.0. 

The only other odd thing (and appoligies for not responding sooner) is the large back arrow next to the Home button - if my program is paused, when I hit that button, it resumes play instead of going back a level in the tree so to speak. It used to go back out of the playing screen to the program's folder. A second push of that button does take me back out of playing to the program folder like expected. 

Thanks.

11 hours ago, mohoelx said:

Hey @speechles ... I noticed a new server release a couple days back (running 4.7.3.0 now). If that was supposed to resolve the Roku buttons I brought up, I don't think it did. I've also rebooted my Roku since updating to 4.7.3.0. 

The only other odd thing (and appoligies for not responding sooner) is the large back arrow next to the Home button - if my program is paused, when I hit that button, it resumes play instead of going back a level in the tree so to speak. It used to go back out of the playing screen to the program's folder. A second push of that button does take me back out of playing to the program folder like expected. 

Thanks.

Hi.  The recent server release would not affect your app behavior.  For now the FF and Rew buttons are the right thing to use if you want to automatically advance.

I came here to report the same issue and found this thread. On my Roku, not only does holding the arrow button not move like it used to, I only have a pause icon. There is no longer a Forward or Rewind button like there used to be. Attached is a photo of my pause screen.

PXL_20220621_142843159.thumb.jpg.89854d33752c6151077c793d79b5f228.jpg

4 minutes ago, ChipL said:

There is no longer a Forward or Rewind button

Hi.  You use the buttons on your remote.

Facepalm! I seriously never noticed those buttons before because every other app I use has the OSD Forward/Rewind icons as well as the ability to hold the arrows to scan through. I can adapt to using the remote buttons -- it actually seems faster -- but consistency with other apps would be nice.

• 1 month later...
mohoelx

Any update on when the app will work like normal, i.e.; holding the forward or backward directional arrows to slide through the thumbs?

• Solution
mohoelx

Looks like it is working as expected again. Holding down the directional arrow starts sliding through the thumbs, the longer held the faster the slide....

Thanks.

• Thanks 2