Unable to see any media post-DSM 7 upgrade

Tackster
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

Tackster

So I attempted multiple methods to backup emby and follow guides for accurate removal and reinstall from DSM 6 > 7. After encountering a host of issues I gave up the ghost and just went ahead and uninstalled emby, updated the server and reinstalled. I knew this would require me recreating the server - whatever, I have time.

Now that I've done this I can't see any of my media when adding libraries. They don't even appear to scan - I see no percentage check or anything. Just empty libraries. I've used the emby install from package center and the updated one with a manual pkg

I've tried changing permissions on the shared folders to other users, including the embysvr user itself. I've tried reinstalling. I've tried chowning all my folders. I've tried everything, up to and including making embysvr an admin! Nothing is working!

Any assistance, next steps or links to guides would be more than welcome.

library.png

perms.PNG

embyserver.txt

Tackster

I did but I assumed that only applied to people who were transferring their existing emby server from 6 to 7. I can take the extra steps at the bottom if they also apply to people doing a clean install on dsm 7. Will try that and check back in!

• Solution
FrostByte

Your permissions are wrong.  Emby no longer uses embysvr or any local users.  You need to set the system internal user 'emby' to read/write

FrostByte
1 minute ago, Tackster said:

Thank you! That was the exact info I needed 💖

Glad it's working.  You definitely aren't the first :)

10 minutes ago, Tackster said:

I did but I assumed that only applied to people who were transferring their existing emby server from 6 to 7. I can take the extra steps at the bottom if they also apply to people doing a clean install on dsm 7. Will try that and check back in!

If you upgraded from DSM 6.x to DSM 7.x you need to follow the steps in that guide from top to bottom.  It's addresses changes in the operating system and new code librarys as well as their new security model which requires moving applications.

So that's what the migration instructions are about.  You just want to make sure you install the same version of Emby for DSM 7 (yes different build) that matches the DSM 6 build.
Follow the migration instructions and you will be fine.

FrostByte
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

If you upgraded from DSM 6.x to DSM 7.x you need to follow the steps in that guide from top to bottom.  It's addresses changes in the operating system and new code librarys as well as their new security model which requires moving applications.

So that's what the migration instructions are about.  You just want to make sure you install the same version of Emby for DSM 7 (yes different build) that matches the DSM 6 build.
Follow the migration instructions and you will be fine.

It was a clean install.  We probably need instructions for people who install for the first time.  They aren't going to use that guide, especially when they see putty.