bad image and sound quality by switching channel on second device

pcmediapear

pcmediapear

hello

for few days I am testing emby live TV feature and have issue in case two devices are playing live TV stream and one of them is switching channel
if on second device is switched channel on first device is decreased image and sound quality for at least 20-30 but often it takes much longer
worst is that often it causes shifted sound and only solution is to stop stream and start it again
most sensitive is android TV where direct play helps little bit but not much and on apple TV and tizen it is bit better but still bad

my setup is: digibit twin -> tvheadend -> emby
digibit twin: dual sat>IP tuner
tvheadend: as docker container (everything should be configured correctly)
emby: docker container running on same host as tvheadend (video transcoding is disabled)
both tvheadend and emby containers are configured to use host network

by starting tvheaded streams using tvheadend app or VLC is image and sound quality also decreased by switching channel but just for one or two seconds

I have tried with tvheadend plugin, m3u playlist and also antennas hdhomerun emulation (antennas worked well with plex)
all three setups worked almost identical (after reading how many troubles have users with live TV I am surprised that I was able to run all three option)

after testing of almost all configuration combination on tvheadend and emby I lost now so any suggestion is welcome

thanks

pcmediapear

first device (android TV) streaming channel "Nova Fun HD"
second device (apple TV) streaming channel "AutoMotorSport HD"
so far so good and no issues...
second device (apple TV) switching to other channel "Arirang HD"
and here it comes...
on first device (android TV) stream quality is bad (sometimes just black screen)

image.png.92897f6f0e5f037f02fe0fd2bb86ecf8.png

Hi.  This just looks like your server just cannot handle the load of multiple channels being streamed at once.  The delivery is getting slower and slower and then lots of errors are being produced (perhaps due to bad signal or perhaps just due to things not moving fast enough).

pcmediapear

@ebr it is definitely not an performance issue...

CPU is more or less idle, lot of ram is free and there is also not problem with disk IO (no difference after testing on SSDs)

watching three HD live TV channels at once from three different devices is running without issues

issue always start after switching live tv channel sometimes not after first switching but after second, third or fourth...

after watching logs it seems that emby is very sensitive in case tvheadend drops "continuity counter error"

@Luke how should this help? I have this issue also on tizen, ios, apple tv and also windows app

another issues what I have discovered by testing are:

- not always closing connection to tvheadend what causes that tuner is still in used

- embyserver process keeps hanging and one CPU core runs on 100% (all client devices have been turned off)

all logs from todays testing attached

logs.tar.gz

pcmediapear

with following changes in configuration I was able to decrease amount and shorten time of tvheadend continuity errors:

- other protocol for descrambling with oscam and additional reader with load balancing have been configured

- instead of using digibit twin as dual tuners both have been configured as single tuners

decreased image/sound quality or dropouts in emby have been reduced but it is still not comfortable enough for daily use

- not always closing connection to tvheadend what causes that tuner is still in used

The server will close the connection, but if you just turn off the TV instead of stopping in the video player first, then it may take a couple minutes for that to happen.

• 4 weeks later...
pcmediapear

hello @Luke, @ebr

FYI

after additional changes it seems that issue is gone on tizen, apple tv and ios devices

- between my digibit twin and tvheadend is now minisatip container (no idea why additional piece of software helped but it is so...)

- additional change is that descrambling has been moved from tvheadend to minisatip (start of descrambling by channel change is faster)

- last change was moving from tvheadend plugin to m3u playlist (channel switching takes longer but my feeling is that it is more stable)

and regarding android tv it seems that issue is related with TV (failing to black screen and shifted sound is there also in other apps)

many thanks for your support

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 6:39 AM, pcmediapear said:

hello @Luke, @ebr

FYI

after additional changes it seems that issue is gone on tizen, apple tv and ios devices

- between my digibit twin and tvheadend is now minisatip container (no idea why additional piece of software helped but it is so...)

- additional change is that descrambling has been moved from tvheadend to minisatip (start of descrambling by channel change is faster)

- last change was moving from tvheadend plugin to m3u playlist (channel switching takes longer but my feeling is that it is more stable)

and regarding android tv it seems that issue is related with TV (failing to black screen and shifted sound is there also in other apps)

many thanks for your support

Thanks for the feedback.