Movie darker in Edge

fillidill
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

fillidill

As you can see in the screenshots, the same movie gets darker for some reason when playing it in the browser Edge, in Chrome however it looks correct. After these images where taken I updated and tested both in latest version of stable and beta but same problem.

I also attached an image of the dashboard when the movie was playing in both browser and it seems to differ. Why is that? Also please note that the one on the right is played in Edge even though Emby incorrectly says it's played in Chrome.

chrome.png

edge.png

dashboard.png

Hi, looks like edge is direct playing. The browser doesn't support tone mapping hdr by itself so this can only be done via server transcoding.

fillidill
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, looks like edge is direct playing. The browser doesn't support tone mapping hdr by itself so this can only be done via server transcoding.

Thanks for a quick reply Luke. Is there any fix? I have tried changing this setting but makes no difference.

hdr.png

• Solution
GrimReaper
1 hour ago, fillidill said:

Thanks for a quick reply Luke. Is there any fix? I have tried changing this setting but makes no difference.

hdr.png

And it can't make any difference, as it is Direct Played in  Edge. If you're keen on using Edge to play it, you need to force transcoding, i.e. lower in-app quality below item bitrate (while accepting loss in PQ). Else use different browser that doesn't Direct Play HEVC (Chrome, Firefox) and transcoding will be triggered automatically. 

Alternatively, you can disable Hardware accelleration in Edge System settings - note that that will apply to all HEVC content, causing transcoding on any HEVC flavor (8-bit, 10-bit, SDR, HDR).

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1

Eventually we'll have a better way of forcing the transcoding for hdr

• Like 1

fillidill
53 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

And it can't make any difference, as it is Direct Played in  Edge. If you're keen on using Edge to play it, you need to force transcoding, i.e. lower in-app quality below item bitrate (while accepting loss in PQ). Else use different browser that doesn't Direct Play HEVC (Chrome, Firefox) and transcoding will be triggered automatically. 

Alternatively, you can disable Hardware accelleration in Edge System settings - note that that will apply to all HEVC content, causing transcoding on any HEVC flavor (8-bit, 10-bit, SDR, HDR).

Thanks a lot for that detailed explanation :) I disabled hardware acceleration in Edge for now.

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Sounds good.
You guys are doing really good work, can't say that enough. Been using Emby daily for a long while now and loving it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
ryderjj89

I know this is an old post but wanted to bump it. Seems even in 4.8.0.34, this issue persists in Edge where it will direct play instead of transcoding for HDR. The original file plays as it should when viewed outside of Emby in something like Windows Media Player. Any way to force this without having to disable hardware acceleration or lower quality?

1 hour ago, ryderjj89 said:

I know this is an old post but wanted to bump it. Seems even in 4.8.0.34, this issue persists in Edge where it will direct play instead of transcoding for HDR. The original file plays as it should when viewed outside of Emby in something like Windows Media Player. Any way to force this without having to disable hardware acceleration or lower quality?

Hi, force what exactly? This sounds like an issue with the browser's video player.

ryderjj89
On 5/25/2022 at 11:17 AM, Luke said:

1 minute ago, Luke said:

Hi, force what exactly? This sounds like an issue with the browser's video player.

I'm referring back to your comment from 5/2022. The "forcing transcoding for hdr".

Im aware it's probably Edge's issue but lowering the quality did force the transcode which then was the proper brightness. But I didn't get something in 4K to play it in lower quality. I'm using the Emby Theater app instead for now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 1:48 PM, ryderjj89 said:

I'm referring back to your comment from 5/2022. The "forcing transcoding for hdr".

Im aware it's probably Edge's issue but lowering the quality did force the transcode which then was the proper brightness. But I didn't get something in 4K to play it in lower quality. I'm using the Emby Theater app instead for now.

OK yes, more options to control this are certainly possible. Thanks.

• Like 1