Questions Regarding Nvidia Shield

NeverExists

NeverExists

Hi I see that there is a server for Android and nvidia shield. I dont know which one is best to use. I currently am running the server on my laptop and then using the emby app on my shield that's connected to my laptop. Unfortunatley my laptop isn't handling that much strain so well now. I think the graphics card or the processor is going bed. Anyway would there be any disadvantages to using one of the options listed above? Also which is best to use? Thanks!

Edit: I'd like to add that I am using emby for my anime library which means I need Ass subtitle functionity. Which causes transcoding for the subtitles to be displayed properly. Also I have a large library and the Nvidia Shield is limited with its internal storage. That plus enough space for the transcoding. Not sure If it would work.

Edited by NeverExists

I would not suggest using a Shield as a server for a large library that requires transcoding.  However, ASS subtitles should not require transcoding when using the Android TV (Shield) app for playback...  There must be some other condition that is causing that.

NeverExists

They do cause transcoding. Cause it says in the app that it will cause transcoding when I choose the option burn in subtitles if they are not displaying correctly. Which they do not display correctly unless I enable the option. I have over 500 anime and 75% of thr subtitles in all the different releases do not display correctly.

1 minute ago, NeverExists said:

do not display correctly

Can you define that a bit more precisely?

NeverExists
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you define that a bit more precisely?

I've talked with the emby team 6-8 different times in the last few years regarding there beta releases and a few bugs with the transcoding and ass subtitles and not once did they tell me that it should not cause transcoding. There is an option in the emby app that if you choose that option. It helps Ass subtitles show correctly. And it comes with a warning that says "Will cause transcoding"

If you turn that option off, exactly what doesn't display properly?

NeverExists
13 hours ago, ebr said:

If you turn that option off, exactly what doesn't display properly?

Seeing ass it's for subtitles then it would be subtitles that don't display correctly..... In anime they use subtitles differently. Say your watching a Japanese anime and there is a sign from store or a stop on the subway. Seeing as it's in Japanese, a lot of the time they don't bother switching it to English. What the ASS subtitles do is Take the English translation of that sign and put it overtop of the Japanese word, so it looks like the anime was made that way, instead of just having plain ugly text to read. Also the ASS add animated English translation to the opening and closing Songs for the show. If I don't select that option in the app, then the subtitles only work 65% of the time. Which means some signs don't show up. I hope that clarifies things.

Hi.  Yes, I understand that and we have a test item that does those very things with subs and it works fine with the internal rendering of the video player.  I guess maybe if they are really complex, there may be issues but can you show us an example of one that has this specific problem?

NeverExists
13 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Yes, I understand that and we have a test item that does those very things with subs and it works fine with the internal rendering of the video player.  I guess maybe if they are really complex, there may be issues but can you show us an example of one that has this specific problem?

Actually this latest update has it so if the show has Ass subtitles and they are not selected. It actually crashes. Then turning on the ASS subtitles, it plays fine. So I can't test it.

Edited by NeverExists

11 hours ago, NeverExists said:

Actually this latest update has it so if the show has Ass subtitles and they are not selected. It actually crashes. Then turning on the ASS subtitles, it plays fine. So I can't test it.

Hi there @NeverExists, what update? Let's look at an example:

Thanks !

NeverExists
On 27/05/2022 at 10:33, Luke said:

Hi there @NeverExists, what update? Let's look at an example:

Thanks !

Hey Me again. I'm trying to watch a show that has ASS Subtitles again and if I don't check the burn in subtitles option in the emby app on my shield, The episode gets all choppy whenever the ASS Subtitles are being used. Some shows look like they're buffering all the time in the same situation using ASS.

embyserver (1).txt

Hi.  Are they extremely complex subs (a lot showing/animating at once)?

NeverExists

Yes, most anime ass subtitles are complex. That's what I was trying to say before. Sometimes its just a few words but emby has trouble with it.

Edited by NeverExists