The bitrate of the file exceeds the limit

Super957

Super957

I see this "The bitrate of the file exceeds the limit" on control panel.

Is this normal or I have to set something in the options ?

Thank

Hispa

Senza titolo.jpg

Edited by Super957

Happy2Play

May want to edit image of your remote users ip address.

Please post the ffmpeg log for that playback session.

But suspect all client have playback quality set to Auto and for remote connections it can be conservative and use the default hard coded fallback bitrate which is 3Mbps and/or 1.5Mbps.

May need user to set to a specific value.

I have everyone set to highest value then I control/set users "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):".

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

As mentioned, it looks like Auto on client playback quality fell back to default value of 3Mbps.  But there are dozens of topics on Auto being to conservative.

&VideoBitrate=2616000&AudioBitrate=384000

&TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

• Confused 1

Super957
20 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

As mentioned, it looks like Auto on client playback quality fell back to default value of 3Mbps.  But there are dozens of topics on Auto being to conservative.

Please i dont understand how to set the settings you write 

Thanks to you I have already made giant steps on the use of Emby Server but in this matter I know little...so please help me set the server up

Hispa

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Super957 said:
26 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Expand  

Please i dont understand how to set the settings you write 

Those are from the ffmpeg log in the first section showing the returned playbackprotocal for that session.  Is shows the 3Mbps limit in those two video and audio variables.

The user on the device would have to change playback quality, but personally have never used or seen this app but there would/should be a playback quality setting in the app settings.

image.png.fba346ea1fdfc97aa97666469464347e.png

Super957

Yes, I understood the version of Emby 1.088 that I had a friend of mine install with an old samsung TV 

Hispa

• 4 weeks later...
Super957

PLS some suggestions:

again same warning...and this time my friends use a FireTV 4MAX with last Emby installed. I enclosed settings and log.

So i think is better to set for all my user a: Bitrate limit for internet streaming (Mbps)

But which is this Birtrate limit ? I have Fiber 1000Mbps and i have 50 users... sometime i have 50% users connect in same time.

My files are movie 1080 and 4K

Thank for your suggestions

Hispa

Senza titolo 2.png

Senza titolo 3.png

ffmpeg-transcode-e9d3ecd3-80d7-46ae-8d0a-d8eff20ee01e_1.txt

Edited by Super957

2 minutes ago, Super957 said:

PLS some suggestions:

again same warning...and this time my friends use a FireTV 4MAX with last Emby installed. I enclosed settings and log.

So i think is better to set for all my user a: Bitrate limit for internet streaming (Mbps)

But which is this Birtrate limit ? I have Fiber 1000Mbps and i have 30 users... sometime i have 15 users connect in same time.

My files are movie 1080 and 4K

Thank for your suggestions

Hispa

Senza titolo 2.png

Senza titolo 3.png

ffmpeg-transcode-e9d3ecd3-80d7-46ae-8d0a-d8eff20ee01e_1.txt 656 kB · 0 downloads

Hi there, it could be the quality setting in the app on your friend's device.

keithsrobertson

I noticed that MKV with subtitles embedded will cause this transcoding. I set each users subtitle preference to Smart, which seemed to prevent it reoccurring.

Super957
1 hour ago, keithsrobertson said:

I noticed that MKV with subtitles embedded will cause this transcoding. I set each users subtitle preference to Smart, which seemed to prevent it reoccurring.

PLS keithsrobertson which option in user menu you set "smart" to avoid this problem ?

My menu sry is in Italian language so i dont see "smart" option

Thank

Hispa

Senza titolo.png

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Super957 said:

PLS keithsrobertson which option in user menu you set "smart" to avoid this problem ?

My menu sry is in Italian language so i dont see "smart" option

Thank

Hispa

That would be User settings-subtitles.

image.png.d9b61c199e11d2bc6680f0202310a8e2.pngimage.png.70939aeaabaedf0ec5770fb97dc701b9.png

But you as admin would select "Edit this user's profile, image and personal preferences." on each users.

image.png.248571d5de9157e2801c24ae5fca7705.png

I would not worry about that. The emby user subtitle preferences only affect whether subtitles are turned on when playing, and which subtitles are picked.

Super957
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi there, it could be the quality setting in the app on your friend's device.

Sry and thank Luke...but if i read  well in the option: Bitrate limite per lo streaming via internet (Mbps)

"....An optional per-stream bitrate limit for all network devices. This is useful for preventing devices from requesting a higher bitrate than the Internet connection can handle. This can result in increased CPU load on the server to transcode in-flight video at a lower bit rate.
This will override the global default value set in the server's playback settings...."

if i understand well, if i set a limit Bitrate, i can avoid to ask to my user to change quality stream ...correct ?

But really i dont know which Bitrate limite is the best.

Majority of my movies are 1080p and also 4K. the dimension of movies vary from 5-10gib to 30-40gib

Thank again

Hispa

Just now, Super957 said:

Sry and thank Luke...but if i read  well in the option: Bitrate limite per lo streaming via internet (Mbps)

"....An optional per-stream bitrate limit for all network devices. This is useful for preventing devices from requesting a higher bitrate than the Internet connection can handle. This can result in increased CPU load on the server to transcode in-flight video at a lower bit rate.
This will override the global default value set in the server's playback settings...."

if i understand well, if i set a limit Bitrate, i can avoid to ask to my user to change quality stream ...correct ?

But really i dont know which Bitrate limite is the best.

Majority of my movies are 1080p and also 4K. the dimension of movies vary from 5-10gib to 30-40gib

Thank again

Hispa

You set the limits on the server to lower the quality based if that's what you need based on your network bandwidth.

But it sounds like you need to raise the quality to avoid transcoding, and that needs to be done directly in the client app. You could also restrict transcoding permissions from the user, but make sure to read the help text because that could lead to playback errors when transcoding is needed.

• Thanks 1

Super957
16 hours ago, Luke said:

You set the limits on the server to lower the quality based if that's what you need based on your network bandwidth.

But it sounds like you need to raise the quality to avoid transcoding, and that needs to be done directly in the client app. You could also restrict transcoding permissions from the user, but make sure to read the help text because that could lead to playback errors when transcoding is needed.

I will not do it following your advice, but if I wanted to try with the characteristics of my fiber line and my movies that I wrote to you above, which one could you recommend me to try as Limit Bitrate ?

Thank again mate

Hispa

29 minutes ago, Super957 said:

I will not do it following your advice, but if I wanted to try with the characteristics of my fiber line and my movies that I wrote to you above, which one could you recommend me to try as Limit Bitrate ?

Thank again mate

Hispa

I guess start with all of them or just the video transcoding one.

• Like 1

Super957
2 hours ago, Luke said:

I guess start with all of them or just the video transcoding one.

I would like to start putting a bitrate that is the same for everyone ... what do you say?

Thank

Hispa

Just now, Super957 said:

I would like to start putting a bitrate that is the same for everyone ... what do you say?

Thank

Hispa

You can set the limits on the server to lower the quality based if that's what you need based on your network bandwidth.

If you need to raise the quality to avoid transcoding, that needs to be done directly in the client app. You could also restrict transcoding permissions from the user, but make sure to read the help text because that could lead to playback errors when transcoding is needed.