Unbearable judder on iPhone 13 Pro Max

dsadlek

dsadlek

So as in the title Emby for iOS suffers from terrible judder when playing 24fps content regardless if it is transcoded or directly playing. 
I’m not sure if that happened with Emby or iOS update or when I upgraded from iPhone 11 Pro Max to 13 Pro Max but on iPhone 11 playback was smooth. 
In theory 24fps content played back on 120hz screen should be very smooth but that is not the case and it looks like it’s playing at 15fps. Playback in web browser (Safari) is fine and fluid but I can’t watch in full screen without cropping some of the video which is why I want to use the app. Is that the case for other iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max users.? I think it might be related to variable refresh rate in iPhone 13 Pro which is using incorrect rate for playback in Emby app  

Thanks for any help. 

Edited by dsadlek
  • Agree 1

dsadlek

What kind of example would you like me to show you.?

Also just tried 30fps content and that’s stuttering as well in Emby iOS app. 
Again playback in web browser on my iPhone is perfectly fine. 

Edited by dsadlek

dsadlek

Tested on my wife’s iPhone 13 Pro Max and it also stutters while playback on my iPad Pro M1 is smooth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, dsadlek said:

What kind of example would you like me to show you.?

Also just tried 30fps content and that’s stuttering as well in Emby iOS app. 
Again playback in web browser on my iPhone is perfectly fine. 

• Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred. See the section below titled Emby Server Logs. Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us. If a server transcoding log was also generated during playback (in the server logs folder), please attach that as well.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Frozenbroccoli
On 5/31/2022 at 5:57 PM, Luke said:
  • Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred. See the section below titled Emby Server Logs. Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us. If a server transcoding log was also generated during playback (in the server logs folder), please attach that as well.

Thanks.

This is one of the threads I’ve found for the iPhone 13 Pro Max stutter/judder. Some shows play fine, but others never feel 24 fps. When it’s not juddering, it feels like it’s 22 fps. When it starts to stutter more, it feels like it drops well below 20 fps. The video never pauses, it only drops frames. It also drops frames at random times. I can play a fight scene for 10 seconds and it looks like it’s maybe 22 fps the whole time. If I replay the scene, there’s like a 50/50 chance that it stutters pretty bad. It’s not horrible, but it’s definitely noticeable and very annoying when the video is never smooth and very frequently drops well below 20 fps and then jumps back to maybe 22, then drops a lot, then back up to fps that isn’t 24. This problem happens when shows are both streaming and downloaded. I only use EMBY on my iPhone 13 Pro Max to download shows so I’m more focused on that than streaming, but the problem is there for both. I tried limiting the iPhone 13 PM frame rate to 60 in the iPhone settings but that didn’t help. I’m direct playing these shows and not transcoding. I have no problems playing the same shows on my Shield. I don’t know if it’s a problem that is fixable on your end, but please look into it and try to fix it. 

Edited by Frozenbroccoli

dsadlek
44 minutes ago, Frozenbroccoli said:

This is one of the threads I’ve found for the iPhone 13 Pro Max stutter/judder. Some shows play fine, but others never feel 24 fps. When it’s not juddering, it feels like it’s 22 fps. When it starts to stutter more, it feels like it drops well below 20 fps. The video never pauses, it only drops frames. It also drops frames at random times. I can play a fight scene for 10 seconds and it looks like it’s maybe 22 fps the whole time. If I replay the scene, there’s like a 50/50 chance that it stutters pretty bad. It’s not horrible, but it’s definitely noticeable and very annoying when the video is never smooth and very frequently drops well below 20 fps and then jumps back to maybe 22, then drops a lot, then back up to fps that isn’t 24. This problem happens when shows are both streaming and downloaded. I only use EMBY on my iPhone 13 Pro Max to download shows so I’m more focused on that than streaming, but the problem is there for both. I tried limiting the iPhone 13 PM frame rate to 60 in the iPhone settings but that didn’t help. I’m direct playing these shows and not transcoding. I have no problems playing the same shows on my Shield. I don’t know if it’s a problem that is fixable on your end, but please look into it and try to fix it. 

Yep same here I tried everything.

It’s only Emby app that suffers from that as when played in Infuse, MrMC or safari browser  the playback is smooth but I need to use it when away from home network for transcoding to work and be able to use full screen without cropping. 
Also all betas I tested still suffer from it. 
All the answers from @Luke were asking for server logs but the problem clearly isn’t server related as it only affects iPhone 13 Pro/Max regardless if transcoding or not. 
I tried using new server on another machine and again the issue was still there. 

Edited by dsadlek
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

HI, we found the reason for the playback stutter in the recent app update and we'll get getting an update out to the store to resolve this as quickly as we can. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Frozenbroccoli

Thank you very much for looking into it and finding the problem. Hopefully it’s the same problem @dsadlekand I are talking about. I don’t know when the update is coming, but I’ll give feedback whenever that happens. Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

Frozenbroccoli

I feel like it might have improved a little, but it’s hard to tell. The juddering is still there. I downloaded an episode post-update to see if that would change anything and it didn’t. I’m hoping you guys can still fix this.

• 5 months later...

HI, Emby for iOS 2.2.6 has been released. Please try it out and let us know how it compares. Thanks !