Server WMC Stopped Working?

cbanakis
Go to solution Solved by swingman,

cbanakis

I've had a windows server running Emby with Server WMC running perfectly for years, and a few days ago, all TV options disappeared from my Emby home page.

The same server is using WMC to stream to some computers running KODI, and everything on that end is still working fine.

Nothing changed except that it somehow stopped working with Emby.

Tried rebooting, uninstalling and reinstalling the WMC add on in Emby and nothing seems to fix it.

It has to be something within the emby server app, because KODI works the same as always, but nit Emby, whether I'm using the android app or a web browser on a windows machine.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Edited by cbanakis

cbanakis

Just noticed another thing.

It looks like the live TV options are on my home screen for a fraction of a second before disappearing.

Again, both through the android app and through web browsers on windows desktops.

cbanakis

Yeah, it looks like it updated a few days ago, which coincides with when I noticed the problem.

Not positive that they both happened at the same time, but it can't be a coincidence.

emveepee

Note when you migrate to the 4.7 tuner model, Emby and Kodi will be totally isolated so will likely have some decisions to make on which clients you want to use.

Martin

• Like 1

swingman

still having a hell of a time getting it to work. For some reason it won't pull any guide data or recording schedule anymore

• Haha 1

cbanakis
28 minutes ago, swingman said:

sounds like serverWMC has to be added as a tv source now 

image.png.c0abc9fe750321871528be388fc454a1.png

Yep, turned out to be quite the rabbit hole.

Downgraded before seeing your post, but thar didn't work.

Then upgraded and set it up that way.  (Speaking of, why is Server WMC still an available add-on then?)

Then my guide data wasn't pulling, then I found out I shouldn't have been using Schedules Direct for the last 2 years.

Then realized Emby supplies it's own guide data now.

What an adventure.

Now, everything is back to the way it was for the last decade.

Working.

Thanks.

Lol

Hi, to answer your question, serverwmc is still available because you can still use it as a tuner source for emby server.

swingman
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, to answer your question, serverwmc is still available because you can still use it as a tuner source for emby server.

Should it still function the same? Meaning still allow me to view existing scheduled recordings,  create new ones and pull guide data via serverwmc?

15 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

I suppose you shouldn't have had updated:

That is completely different - Emby for WMC (a deprecated client) vs Server WMC (an external live TV tuner source).  As mentioned above, the latter is still supported but in a different way.

6 hours ago, swingman said:

Should it still function the same? Meaning still allow me to view existing scheduled recordings,  create new ones and pull guide data via serverwmc?

Yes, it just requires a slightly different initial setup process: 

swingman
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes, it just requires a slightly different initial setup process: 

Am I missing a step maybe? I added serverWMC as a source. I see it run the Refresh Guide data for a few minutes

image.png.0a1fa36bc223c2711a6833c165428169.png

I see Emby is  making the connection to serverWMC

image.png.dc26de253b1cb2c4b60c85d970a14a82.png

I see the connection in the logs and a request for channels. Nothing further

image.png.e4a068754e83ef818dcb2d6b9ae53a5c.png

However I don't see any guide data, sched uled recordings, or series recordings in emby.

I'm just trying to get the system back to where I was prior to the upgrade where I could see my schedule and see my scheduled recordings using serverWMC and emby. 

embyserver.txt

However I don't see any guide data, sched uled recordings, or series recordings in emby.

Hi, do you have guide data in WMC? Existing recordings will no longer be imported. You can set those up as a regular Emby library by pointing to your recordings folder just like you'd set up any other library.

Recording schedules can be created in Emby and Emby will handle the recording process.

swingman
32 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, do you have guide data in WMC? Existing recordings will no longer be imported. You can set those up as a regular Emby library by pointing to your recordings folder just like you'd set up any other library.

Recording schedules can be created in Emby and Emby will handle the recording process.

Yes I have existing guide data in WMC.

So do I need to now cancel all my existing scheduled recordings in WMC and re-set them up in Emby? That sounds like a giant pain. Is any of this documented anywhere? 

image.png.a0688218c6930f283232f74184ad0633.png

Hi.  You could leave your current schedule and continue to manage them in WMC and then just use Emby to view them via the library.

swingman
43 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You could leave your current schedule and continue to manage them in WMC and then just use Emby to view them via the library.

I'm not really concerned about the recordings showing up in the library. I convert them using mcebuddy and add them to my library.

I'm kinda frustrated that for many years I had a solution (I paid for with emby premier) that allowed me to view and manage my WMC recording schedules. Post Emby upgrade it's not working for me anymore and I can't seem to get a clear answer on if that is intentional or not.  

I guess you could say it was intentional or necessary.  It was becoming too cumbersome for us to continue to try and support all the different APIs and systems to integrate in this way - especially with systems like WMC that have basically been out of support for years.

So we greatly simplified how these interfaces operate so that the recordings are all now managed by Emby instead of all the different external systems.  This will allow us to support these external sources much more easily going forward but does require you to change how you manage them a bit.

We apologize for the disruption but it was really the only realistic way forward for these integrations for us.

Thanks.

swingman
1 minute ago, ebr said:

I guess you could say it was intentional or necessary.  It was becoming too cumbersome for us to continue to try and support all the different APIs and systems to integrate in this way - especially with systems like WMC that have basically been out of support for years.

So we greatly simplified how these interfaces operate so that the recordings are all now managed by Emby instead of all the different external systems.  This will allow us to support these external sources much more easily going forward but does require you to change how you manage them a bit.

We apologize for the disruption but it was really the only realistic way forward for these integrations for us.

Thanks.

That is very unfortunate and I feel like the blog post leaves a lot of information out then. It sounded like you just needed to add serverWMC as a TV source and everything would just work like it has for years prior. What exactly does the serverWMC plugin even do anymore? 

Just now, swingman said:

That is very unfortunate and I feel like the blog post leaves a lot of information out then. It sounded like you just needed to add serverWMC as a TV source and everything would just work like it has for years prior. What exactly does the serverWMC plugin even do anymore? 

It allows you to pull tuner channels and guide data from WMC, but Emby will manage the recordings.

1 hour ago, swingman said:

Yes I have existing guide data in WMC.

So do I need to now cancel all my existing scheduled recordings in WMC and re-set them up in Emby? That sounds like a giant pain. Is any of this documented anywhere? 

image.png.a0688218c6930f283232f74184ad0633.png

Hi, this is not intended .You should be getting guide data. Can you please run the refresh guide scheduled task and then attach the emby server log? Thanks !

swingman
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, this is not intended .You should be getting guide data. Can you please run the refresh guide scheduled task and then attach the emby server log? Thanks !

Please find attached. The task completed very quickly.  

embyserver (2).txt