Tone mapping and GPU vs CPU

adamzune

adamzune

Hello,

I want to use my GPU for the transcoding, it works well on most things that need transcoding but on a 4k HVEC HDR blu ray the colours get all washed out when i use the a GPU but work fine with the CPU. with the stats on the different is the CPU has "tone mapping (hable)" and the GPU doesn't but the only thing I change in the transcode settings is whether i want to use the GPU or not. h.264 encoding CRF number changes doesn't make it better or worse, 

Any help on improving this would be nice as the CPU can't keep up sometimes when transcoding.

thanks

GPU.png

CPU.png

Q-Droid

You can select which tone mapping algorithms to use which can change the visual results.

Info in this thread: 

And even more detail in this thread: 

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Like 1

rbjtech

It's not immediately obvious where this is to be fair ..

image.thumb.png.7d94fd66f52e9e7093c0fbda1c3c686f.png

7 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

It's not immediately obvious where this is to be fair ..

Yes, I know. It doesn't make sense that those settings require a "Diagnostics Plugin" to be changed..

adamzune

Thanks, I have installed the Diagnostics plugin and see all the new options. I'll play around to find a solution.

Thanks

• 7 months later...
adamzune

Hi,

they way i fixed this unfortunately was to rip the Blu ray again but with handbrake (i cant remember the video encoder i used (h.265 (AMD VCE) i think), the result below streamed over a dodgy internet connection), I could not find a solution with the full sized MKV rip from makeMKV as it would wash out every time it transcoded to a lower resolution no matter what i tried. 

image.thumb.png.e76e236896e8667e392ee411ae0ccb9d.png4K HEVC HDR

• Thanks 1