User accounts with shared devices disabled cannot see their local TV

strichmo

strichmo

I have an emby server with a number of accounts setup for the family. For one of the accounts the family member is in the same local network as the server. If I have "Allow remote control of shared devices" disabled then they are banned from seeing devices on their own local network (the servers' network). I have enabled this feature for now. But if ever a family member visits this home and wants to use Emby, they will not be able to see this homes devices.

It appears the Emby app is incorrectly banning this local device as it is also a "remote" device.

Hi, yes it's all based on the server network but it's possible we may rework this in future updates. Thanks.

strichmo

> Hi, yes it's all based on the server network but it's possible we may rework this in future updates. Thanks.

I definitely think this needs to change - Surely the intended behaviour is that these accounts are given to users both local and remote and that devices they can access should only be ones that they're locally within (ie the house they're in). The current way it is done must surely lead to a lot of confusion amongst standard end users when their "Samsung TV" at home isn't actually their local TV.

Okay a further question - It appears that these server accounts can ONLY see devices on the server network or devices directly connected via the Emby app (IE mobile phones). I am getting reports that none of my family can see their own home network devices.

Edited by strichmo

Okay a further question - It appears that these server accounts can ONLY see devices on the server network or devices directly connected via the Emby app (IE mobile phones). I am getting reports that none of my family can see their own home network devices.

Correct that's how it currently works because the server handles the device detection, not the client device.

strichmo
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Correct that's how it currently works because the server handles the device detection, not the client device.

Wait so what's the solution? Are you saying the Emby phone app does no device detection at all under any circumstances?

For Emby to cast to anything at all it must be within the servers own network?

As I said we are likely to rework this in future updates. Until then you just have to choose the options that best give you what you need in terms of device access control.

strichmo
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

As I said we are likely to rework this in future updates. Until then you just have to choose the options that best give you what you need in terms of device access control.

I can't tell if we're talking about the same issue here. I'm okay with you working on the privacy settings of the local server network over time.

However I'm shocked to learn that the Emby app itself does no device discovery of its own local network for casting! Surely this is untrue? It would make Emby unusable for any kind of remote use no?

However I'm shocked to learn that the Emby app itself does no device discovery of its own local network for casting! Surely this is untrue? It would make Emby unusable for any kind of remote use no?

Hi, yes I've already confirmed this and As I said we are likely to rework this in future updates.

strichmo
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes I've already confirmed this and As I said we are likely to rework this in future updates.

I understand. I guess this revelation just blows my mind - I would say it is a critical feature above all others at this point.

I understand you don't want to be held to any kind of time frame so I won't ask for one, but is there a general roadmap of what's actively being worked on amongst the team so I can gauge when this feature might be added? I'm just not sure if Emby will work for us if its like a >6 months away thing.

• 2 weeks later...