Port Mapper problem

Prydwyn

Prydwyn

Sorry I haven't added much since starting the topic. I'm also updated to 1.17, but I still don't have any remote access. I'm now worried that I've screwed something in the settings trying to fix the problem when it first occurred.

AndyNelson

I have had no issues with emby over the past couple of years, last few days I have not been able to connect remotely properly, I have to restart the server and it works for a few hours and then it just goes off again and I have to restart the server and I just keeping having to repeat the process which is really frustrating.  I tried uninstalling and installing port mapper and updating to the new one but still the issue persists.  I’ve never had to mess with port forwarding on my router!  I’m at a loss.  Checked my hard drives and I’m not low on disk space so not sure what I can try next

text.txt

Edited by AndyNelson
Upload log file

On 5/31/2022 at 4:52 AM, AndyNelson said:

I have had no issues with emby over the past couple of years, last few days I have not been able to connect remotely properly, I have to restart the server and it works for a few hours and then it just goes off again and I have to restart the server and I just keeping having to repeat the process which is really frustrating.  I tried uninstalling and installing port mapper and updating to the new one but still the issue persists.  I’ve never had to mess with port forwarding on my router!  I’m at a loss.  Checked my hard drives and I’m not low on disk space so not sure what I can try next

text.txt 29.53 kB · 3 downloads

@AndyNelson are you still having an issue with this?

Prydwyn

Ok, I have an update, which may be relevant in pinpointing the issue.

I run a VPN (Windscribe) 24/7, in which I have EmbyServer.exe whitelisted. This has been fine for over a year (until the recent port mapper updates).

The storms over southern England last weekend blew my router. I received my new one today, and had to set it up from scratch, so I manually configured the ports for Emby.

I tried remote connecting, but it still didn't work. For some reason I turned off the VPN. Voila, I can now connect to Emby remotely. I removed Emby from the VPN whitelist, and then re-added it (restarting both the VPN and Emby after each change). And now I can't connect, despite Emby being whitelisted. There hasn't been a recent update to the VPN software, so I have to assume that there is something in the Port Mapper (or Emby itself) that doesn't like the VPN. Hopefully this may assist in locating the issue...

3 hours ago, Prydwyn said:

Ok, I have an update, which may be relevant in pinpointing the issue.

I run a VPN (Windscribe) 24/7, in which I have EmbyServer.exe whitelisted. This has been fine for over a year (until the recent port mapper updates).

The storms over southern England last weekend blew my router. I received my new one today, and had to set it up from scratch, so I manually configured the ports for Emby.

I tried remote connecting, but it still didn't work. For some reason I turned off the VPN. Voila, I can now connect to Emby remotely. I removed Emby from the VPN whitelist, and then re-added it (restarting both the VPN and Emby after each change). And now I can't connect, despite Emby being whitelisted. There hasn't been a recent update to the VPN software, so I have to assume that there is something in the Port Mapper (or Emby itself) that doesn't like the VPN. Hopefully this may assist in locating the issue...

This is most likely the issue with your VPN bypass: https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/47267#issuecomment-764624449

AndyNelson
On 06/06/2022 at 05:27, Luke said:

@AndyNelson are you still having an issue with this?

Sorry Luke I have been away on holiday and not been using it!  Last 24 hours I’ve been testing it and still I’m having the exact same issue, removing port mapper worked briefly and then stopped again so I installed the latest one and it’s working again but then it’s just stopped , I have to restart the emby server and it works again for me but doesn’t stay on long before I can’t connect remotely.   Very very strange, I’ve never had any issues like this before so I’m at a loss as to what it could be 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 7:22 AM, AndyNelson said:

Sorry Luke I have been away on holiday and not been using it!  Last 24 hours I’ve been testing it and still I’m having the exact same issue, removing port mapper worked briefly and then stopped again so I installed the latest one and it’s working again but then it’s just stopped , I have to restart the emby server and it works again for me but doesn’t stay on long before I can’t connect remotely.   Very very strange, I’ve never had any issues like this before so I’m at a loss as to what it could be 

Hi @AndyNelson, @cayars can jump on with you and take a look at what's going on. Thanks.