Two things for Android Auto

Meijinhada

Meijinhada

I just have a question or two, actually.

One, is it possible to add Genre to AA?  Like right now, I can select from playlists, and then folders, but I tend to use one Genre pretty often, and it isn't available from the main AA screen; I have to actually pick up my phone to shuffle a Genre and get it playing. 

Additionally to that, how does the Android app deal with random play?  If I play the Genre randomly, or even one of my playlists, even though I have a lot (and I mean a LOT) of music available through those, it only seems to be able to assemble a rough play time of maybe eight hours, and then it's "done." And then I have to go back into the playlist (or my phone for Genre) and hit shuffle again to get a "new" playtime. I mean, one of my playlists alone is big enough to play for a week straight, but if I'm playing it in the car, I've had so many times where it just....ends.  As if there's no more music for it to possibly continue playing from.  And it's generally around eight hours or less.  (That does carry over, so it's eight hours or so of cumulative play.)  It just seems a little strange that, considering it's really only mirroring from my phone to the car, that this is an issue.  Is it a memory thing?  Can the app just not handle more than a certain amount of on-the-fly randomness?  (I also did notice the same issue with some of the same things playing in general that another post has mentioned, but that's been a thing on almost every player I've ever had, and I've kind of resigned myself to that.)

Oh, I guess three questions: can album titles or other info be put on the AA screen as well?  Or does that take up too much real estate?

One, is it possible to add Genre to AA?  Like right now, I can select from playlists, and then folders, but I tend to use one Genre pretty often, and it isn't available from the main AA screen; I have to actually pick up my phone to shuffle a Genre and get it playing. 

Hi, yes we can look at adding genres to the main AA screen.

Additionally to that, how does the Android app deal with random play?  If I play the Genre randomly, or even one of my playlists, even though I have a lot (and I mean a LOT) of music available through those, it only seems to be able to assemble a rough play time of maybe eight hours, and then it's "done." And then I have to go back into the playlist (or my phone for Genre) and hit shuffle again to get a "new" playtime. I mean, one of my playlists alone is big enough to play for a week straight, but if I'm playing it in the car, I've had so many times where it just....ends.  As if there's no more music for it to possibly continue playing from.  And it's generally around eight hours or less.

There is a limit to how much it queues up but we are working towards removing that.

Oh, I guess three questions: can album titles or other info be put on the AA screen as well? 

It already does, no? Can you show an example of what you mean?

Meijinhada

Maybe it's just my screen then, but it's just the song title, and the artist, no album, but there IS album art.

20220519_164940.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 7:18 PM, Meijinhada said:

Maybe it's just my screen then, but it's just the song title, and the artist, no album, but there IS album art.

20220519_164940.jpg

I wonder what that Mae is, and if that's supposed to be the album title?

Meijinhada
3 hours ago, Luke said:

I wonder what that Mae is, and if that's supposed to be the album title?

Mae is the song artist. 

OK. Maybe android auto on your device just doesn't show the album title on that screen.

Yes, I noticed AA does not show album anymore. Same with other apps. 

Meijinhada
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes, I noticed AA does not show album anymore. Same with other apps. 

Believe SiriusXM does, though it's messed up on my car HUD. Emby shows the album on there, just not on the AA screen. I don't think it ever has on mine.

6 minutes ago, Meijinhada said:

Believe SiriusXM does, though it's messed up on my car HUD. Emby shows the album on there, just not on the AA screen. I don't think it ever has on mine.

Maybe that's a different user interface, but the way Android Auto works is we just feed it data, and it decides what the screen looks like. We are giving it the album information but it looks like in recent updates they've elected not to display it on this particular screen anymore.

Meijinhada
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Maybe that's a different user interface, but the way Android Auto works is we just feed it data, and it decides what the screen looks like. We are giving it the album information but it looks like in recent updates they've elected not to display it on this particular screen anymore.

Well, I've been using Emby in Android Auto for over a year now, I think, and I never saw the album on there.  Huh. Seems weird they would decide that.

Yeah, I'm not sure if AA ever did show the album - seems like maybe they did before the last major interface update.  They are trying to simplify the interface and, these days, people listen to artists and songs - not so much albums anymore.