4.7 Server broke NextPVR 4 (5 is OK)

serpi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

serpi

Hi,

great, after the update to 4.7.0.60 my Live TV (NextPVR) was gone.

I found the new plugin (4.0), installed it, found the article how to setup LiveTV, did that.

Now I have NextPVR as source but is has no channels and no guide data, so it's completely empty (besides the recordings).

How do I get it back running with guide data from NextPVR (read vom DVB)??

My NextPVR version is 4.2.5, everything was running fine before the server update.

Oh, I see there is some error message in the server log:

2022-05-18 23:28:34.275 Error LiveTV: Error getting channels
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.7.0.60
	Command line: C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19044
	Framework: .NET 6.0.2
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/xxx/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application path: C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Type definitions should start with a '{', expecting serialized type 'ClientKeys', got string starting with: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
	<rsp stat
	   at ServiceStack.Text.Common.DeserializeTypeRefJson.StringToType(ReadOnlySpan`1 strType, TypeConfig typeConfig, EmptyCtorDelegate ctorFn, KeyValuePair`2[] typeAccessors) in C:\BuildAgent\work\912418dcce86a188\src\ServiceStack.Text\Common\DeserializeTypeRefJson.cs:line 173
	   at ServiceStack.Text.JsonSerializer.DeserializeFromSpan(Type type, ReadOnlySpan`1 value) in C:\BuildAgent\work\912418dcce86a188\src\ServiceStack.Text\JsonSerializer.cs:line 62
	   at ServiceStack.Text.NetCoreMemory.Deserialize(MemoryStream memoryStream, Boolean fromPool, Type type, DeserializeStringSpanDelegate deserializer) in C:\BuildAgent\work\912418dcce86a188\src\ServiceStack.Text\NetCoreMemory.cs:line 188
	   at ServiceStack.Text.NetCoreMemory.DeserializeAsync(Stream stream, Type type, DeserializeStringSpanDelegate deserializer) in C:\BuildAgent\work\912418dcce86a188\src\ServiceStack.Text\NetCoreMemory.cs:line 167
	   at ServiceStack.Text.JsonSerializer.DeserializeFromStreamAsync[T](Stream stream) in C:\BuildAgent\work\912418dcce86a188\src\ServiceStack.Text\JsonSerializer.cs:line 225
	   at Emby.Common.Implementations.Serialization.JsonSerializer.DeserializeFromStreamAsync[T](Stream stream)
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.Responses.InstantiateResponse.GetClientKeys(Stream stream, IJsonSerializer json, ILogger logger)
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.InitiateSession(TunerHostInfo tuner, NextPvrAuthInfo authInfo, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.GetChannelsInternal(TunerHostInfo tuner, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.BaseTunerHost.GetChannels(TunerHostInfo host, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.BaseTunerHost.GetChannels(TunerHostInfo host, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.EmbyTV.GetTunerChannelsAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: ServiceStack.Text
	TargetSite: System.Object StringToType(System.ReadOnlySpan`1[System.Char], ServiceStack.Text.TypeConfig, ServiceStack.EmptyCtorDelegate, System.Collections.Generic.KeyValuePair`2[System.String,ServiceStack.Text.Common.TypeAccessor][])

So, now what?

Thanks & Ciao, ALfred

• Solution

Hi, I think you'll need to update to NextPVR 5. The updated NextPVR plugin was built based on NextPVR 5 and hasn't been tested with 4.

If you absolutely can't do that, then I would suggest importing into Emby Server using the m3u method instead.

emveepee

No point in testing the API is different, the NEWA JSON engine Sven  used is gone.   The m3u approach won't work for the OTA EPG the OP is referring to.

Martin

3 minutes ago, emveepee said:

No point in testing the API is different, the NEWA JSON engine Sven  used is gone.   The m3u approach won't work for the OTA EPG the OP is referring to.

Martin

Not for guide data, but it should at least allow basic channel playback, right?

emveepee

For sure but then he will need to find a legal XMLTV source.  Pirate IPTV usually provides pirate XMLTV too, but for people to want to stay honest it is more difficult.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

1 minute ago, emveepee said:

For sure but then he will need to find a legal XMLTV source.  Pirate IPTV usually provides pirate XMLTV too, but for people to want to stay honest it is more difficult.

Martin

Yup, understood, just wanted to make sure.

serpi

OK, thanks.
After uninstalling NextPVR4, installing NextPVR5 (and donating, or else I will only get 5 channels), everything seems to run ok, guide data is also there.

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

• Thanks 1

raymondjpg
5 hours ago, serpi said:

OK, thanks.
After uninstalling NextPVR4, installing NextPVR5 (and donating, or else I will only get 5 channels), everything seems to run ok, guide data is also there.

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

I'm only seeing five channels. Where does one go to find information about donating?

Edit: Never mind I found it in the NextPVR settings page after updating NextPVR.

Edited by raymondjpg
  • Thanks 1

Ed F.

Hum........... I did the donation thing,  confirmed it in the Nexpvr application using the transaction number -----  still with just the 1st five channels appearing in Emby 

(Edit ---- after rebooting my computer, all the channels that I have coming in from my antenna appears --- so that's fixed)

THEN I tried to use my schedule Direct subscription in the spot used to add XML sources under "Live TV" and then "Guide data Sources"

Input the data as requested ---- even copy and pasted the username and password directly from the schedule direct page to ensure I got it right 

Inputted the country and zip code (one of the three in my schedule direct account) as requested ........

REPEATEDLY getting the "There was an error downloading tv lineups. Please ensure your information is correct and try again."

What's going on ?

Edited by Ed F.

emveepee

You need to map to the Emby guide data if you are in the US, UK or Canada not Schedules Direct, Emby doesn't support SD and why it remains as a choice boggles my mind.    However one of the major broken issues with Emby which is why I recommended not updating yet is after automapping each channel you have to manually set it to None and Save and then manually map each channel.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
riverboat2001

Sorry, just to be clear the donation i just paid won't get my Nextpvr 4.2.5 working.....

I have to upgrade to nextpvr 5?

I tried that when it first came out and it was an absolute shambles.

I've stuck with the working solution ever since. 

would i be best uninstalling version 4.2.5 then installing version 5.

Is there a written step by step guide anywhere as I have no faith in version 5. But for those of us in the UK with unrecognised sat tuners we have no choice.

Wish my card was supported natively

Many Thanks

9 minutes ago, riverboat2001 said:

Sorry, just to be clear the donation i just paid won't get my Nextpvr 4.2.5 working.....

Is there a written step by step guide anywhere as I have no faith in version 5. But for those of us in the UK with unrecognised sat tuners we have no choice.

Many Thanks

Hi, that was kind of a while ago though, right? Version 5 is really not all that new anymore, so while I'm not a NextPvr user myself, I would think that it's been hardened quite a bit by now.

emveepee

Why don't you have faith in v5? I have been using it for more than 3 years and v6 is about to be released.  Most of the other initial problems where with the NextPVR.exe client, but you won't be using that anymore.  

There is no need to uninstall it first you can just disable the the NPVR Recording Service until you are satisfied that it works.  Leaving v4 running was the biggest reason for troubles upgrading since the Windows recording engine was largely unchanged. 

Note the I still have warned users not to upgrade to 4.7 because the plugin remains broken and you could lose recordings.  This is NOT a NextPVR issue.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

serpi
23 hours ago, riverboat2001 said:

Many Thanks

Yes, you have to "upgrade" to V5.

But there is no update option, you have to uninstall V4 and install V5.

Luckily, I found a guide for updating V4 to V5, it's just as simple as copying (AFAIR) two files from the old config to the new installation and more or less everything will be fine (some simple Google search should help you).

The problem I found is, that with the new NextPVR plugin, it will make NextPVR some kind of virtual tuner for Emby.

This means, now Emby will handle for example the recordings, not NextPVR. So, when you program a new recording in Emby this will not show up as planned recording in NextPVR.

And the time, the recording starts, Emby will start "LiveTV" and record it, so the NextPVR status will not show, that the tuner is recording, but show "live tv". This also means, if you set some scripts in NextPVR for post recording processing, this will not be triggered and you have to add this script in the Emby Live TV settings.

And, of course, you might get problems, if you are sharing your NextPVR between different systems (for example Kodi and Emby), as the other systems will not be aware of the (future and past) recordings in Emby.

So, after setting up NextPVR as new TV source in Emby, you have to go and check your recording settings in both, so that you will not get double recordings in NextPVR and Emby.

I really have to say, I liked the old way - Emby uses the recording feature of NextPVR - much more.

Ciao, Alfred

sub3
41 minutes ago, serpi said:

The problem I found is, that with the new NextPVR plugin, it will make NextPVR some kind of virtual tuner for Emby.

I really have to say, I liked the old way - Emby uses the recording feature of NextPVR - much more.

Yes, the new system makes NextPVR a tuner for Emby. This was not a change NextPVR's choosing. Emby has changed the way these plugins are used.  NextPVR preferred the old system too.