Upgraded to New Hard Drive Now Remote Users Can't Connect

JsinFate

I noticed in your original log the 4.6.7 version was trying to load some 4.7 DLLs.  That tells me you most likely had two 2 servers running at the same time on the same ports and one was reading information from the other.  To setup a portable version of Emby with a system already running Emby, you want to shut down the existing version, install the portable version, load it, change the ports and close. Now both use different ports and can both be starting and running.

You could try this.  Uninstall PIA and reboot computer. Don't skip that reboot part. Now reinstall PIA, turn on split tunnel and add only the portable version of Emby.
Test, if that works
Add you existing/normal Emby and test.
That normally fixes this from what I've seen.

1 minute ago, cayars said:

I noticed in your original log the 4.6.7 version was trying to load some 4.7 DLLs. 

That just means he was rolling back and forth between the two versions. Normally we discourage that but I don't think it impacts this particular issue.

JsinFate
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

I noticed in your original log the 4.6.7 version was trying to load some 4.7 DLLs.  That tells me you most likely had two 2 servers running at the same time on the same ports and one was reading information from the other.  To setup a portable version of Emby with a system already running Emby, you want to shut down the existing version, install the portable version, load it, change the ports and close. Now both use different ports and can both be starting and running.

You could try this.  Uninstall PIA and reboot computer. Don't skip that reboot part. Now reinstall PIA, turn on split tunnel and add only the portable version of Emby.
Test, if that works
Add you existing/normal Emby and test.
That normally fixes this from what I've seen.

Yes that probably happened when I ran the portable version while my normal Emby version was currently running. I had to shut them both down then run the portable version to go through the set up and specify a different port to use than my current version.

I can try doing that after I am off work, which is soon.

16 minutes ago, JsinFate said:

Yes that probably happened when I ran the portable version while my normal Emby version was currently running. I had to shut them both down then run the portable version to go through the set up and specify a different port to use than my current version.

I can try doing that after I am off work, which is soon.

I'm with Luke not thinking it's an issue affecting us.  I just saw it and thought I'd comment so you can avoid this in the future.
Looking forward to see how your tests go after dinner. :)

JsinFate

Unfortunately, that did not change anything.

The portable version still shows my VPN IP address while my normal Emby version is correctly bypassing my VPN.

Here is my portable Emby log.

embyserver.txt

Can you try this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5znc1g8g3cqbt7/embyserver-win-x64-4.7.1.0.7z?dl=0

It's 4.7.1 built with the .net 3.1 runtime instead of 6.0. This I think will make it like the 4.6 server because there haven't really been any other changes that would impact the networking layer. This is just a test of course, because we're sticking with 6.0.

But I'd like to know the results and then after that I can give you a way to resolve it with the official 4.7.1 build. Thanks.

You can just unzip this over the top of your existing 4.7.1 portable. Thanks.

JsinFate
14 hours ago, Luke said:

You can just unzip this over the top of your existing 4.7.1 portable. Thanks.

That seemed to resolve it! I closed, restarted the Emby portable multiple times and after I removed the old entry in my bypass list and added the this version it bypasses the VPN as it is supposed to do.

image.png.5a0b1fdcca13f4e3b447f2c1ba56871f.png

embyserver.txt

Edited by JsinFate

OK now you can go back to the normal install and then just customize your remote address in Emby Server network settings.

That's a last resort because you'll have to make sure to remember that you did that and keep the value up to date if your remote ip changes.

JsinFate
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK now you can go back to the normal install and then just customize your remote address in Emby Server network settings.

That's a last resort because you'll have to make sure to remember that you did that and keep the value up to date if your remote ip changes.

I don't understand, in the installed version 4.6 where do I go to change my IP address?

JsinFate
13 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes.

Once I specify my actual IP address here, will upgrading corrupt anything in my current version?

Going forwards by itself will be fine, it's the going back and forth that we don't' really test or have answers for.

JsinFate

Okay so if my head has this straight, I can upgrade Emby but just specify my IP address and that should resolve my bypass VPN issue?

JsinFate
8 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes.

Awesome. Out of curiosity, do you know why the .NET versions made such a difference?

3 hours ago, JsinFate said:

Awesome. Out of curiosity, do you know why the .NET versions made such a difference?

I don't know yet, sorry.

JsinFate
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

I don't know yet, sorry.

That's fine, just my own curiousness. I really appreciate you hanging in there with me.

I will upgrade later today and add my IP address manually, but as a precaution I'm backing up my entire Emby folder.

• Thanks 1

JsinFate

I finally had the time (and courage) to try to update so I clicked the Update Now link on the Dashboard. I rebooted and re-opened Emby and I was still at the same version number.

I have rebooted the server multiple times from within Emby and from the icon. I even shutdown completely shut it down and I still see "Please restart the server to finish applying updates."

I downloaded the installer and tried to install and get the following error.

image.jpeg.4a70ac040750fb36adfadb0c1dd84d29.jpeg

server-install.log embyserver.txt

Something is holding a lock on the servers system folder. Try shutting down emby server and making sure you don't have the folder open in windows explorer.