Upgraded to New Hard Drive Now Remote Users Can't Connect

JsinFate

JsinFate
8 hours ago, archecon said:

Today I solved a similar problem. 
Although all configuration was OK it was not possible to view Emby from the WAN side.
The problem was the VPN /softetherVPN/ server running on the same machine as the Emby server. After shutting it down everything is working.
Previous posts have alerted me to this problem area, thank you. So if possible avoid running a VPN server and VPNs in general on the same machine. 

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue so quickly.

Unfortunately, I run my Emby server from my home PC and I use a VPN constantly and can't go without it which is why I used my VPN's split tunnel feature to bypass the VPN completely. It works for every program I specify, except Emby for whatever reason.

On 5/21/2022 at 1:16 PM, JsinFate said:

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue so quickly.

Unfortunately, I run my Emby server from my home PC and I use a VPN constantly and can't go without it which is why I used my VPN's split tunnel feature to bypass the VPN completely. It works for every program I specify, except Emby for whatever reason.

Are you still having an issue with this?

JsinFate

That scares me. It took me a very long time to figure out that Emby was refusing to bypass my VPN.

I may just take the entire Emby folder and back it up then update and test.

I need to go over the release log to see if anything network related was fixed / updated.

Thank you.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, JsinFate said:

That scares me. It took me a very long time to figure out that Emby was refusing to bypass my VPN.

I may just take the entire Emby folder and back it up then update and test.

I need to go over the release log to see if anything network related was fixed / updated.

Thank you.

Or test a portable install since you are on Windows.  All you have to do is configure on different ports and both can coexist.

JsinFate

I downloaded the portable version this  morning and set it up on port 8097 and 8921. I opened those ports on my router but still Emby will not bypass my VPN.

It is still showing my VPN IP address as my Remote IP. I went to canyouseeme.org and ti shows that it sees me and that the port is open.

I don't know how Emby is using my VPN IP address, could it be pulling this from location information from Firefox?

embyserver.txt

Edited by JsinFate

On 5/25/2022 at 8:52 AM, JsinFate said:

I downloaded the portable version this  morning and set it up on port 8097 and 8921. I opened those ports on my router but still Emby will not bypass my VPN.

It is still showing my VPN IP address as my Remote IP. I went to canyouseeme.org and ti shows that it sees me and that the port is open.

I don't know how Emby is using my VPN IP address, could it be pulling this from location information from Firefox?

embyserver.txt 39.69 kB · 0 downloads

Does this show your correct ip address? By correct, i mean the one that you want Emby Server to use.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Emby Server uses a service similar to that to determine your remote IP.

JsinFate

No, it does not. It shows the IP address of my VPN, however, if I specify Firefox to bypass my VPN my real IP is seen.

I just don't know where it is pulling my VPN IP address from especially after I have added it to the bypass VPN list.

Is there another program somewhere that I don't know about to tell my VPN to allow it through?

6 minutes ago, JsinFate said:

No, it does not. It shows the IP address of my VPN, however, if I specify Firefox to bypass my VPN my real IP is seen.

I just don't know where it is pulling my VPN IP address from especially after I have added it to the bypass VPN list.

Is there another program somewhere that I don't know about to tell my VPN to allow it through?

Can you show a screenshot of the bypass setup?

Wait I see the problem. You're running a portable build from your desktop:

Application path: C:\Users\Jsin\Desktop\embyserver-win-x64-4.7.1.0\system

But look at the exe path your bypass setup is configured for.

JsinFate

I was running the latest version as the portable version earlier but I deleted the folder. I am only running the Emby server in the %appdata% directory.

JsinFate

If I update, it will prevent anyone from accessing it outside my network.

Can I use the portable version instead?

Sure, but you'll have to add a separate rule to the bypass for that.

@JsinFate,

Hi, wanted to mention something. Regardless of which version you use for testing 4.7 (existing or portable) make sure the split tunnel is set for it.  You should have two different entries in Split tunneling if you have 2 versions of Emby.

Start the VPN then start Emby.  If Emby's Dashboard shows the remote IP from your ISP that's attached to your router that is good.  If the remote IP is from your VPN provider that's a problem as it would mean the split tunneling is not working as expected.

If that keeps happening where the split tunneling isn't working correctly you may need to uninstall/install the VPN software manually.  I've seen the routing stack on Windows get confused on gateways use and an reinstall normally fixes that issue.

JsinFate
1 minute ago, cayars said:

@JsinFate,

Hi, wanted to mention something. Regardless of which version you use for testing 4.7 (existing or portable) make sure the split tunnel is set for it.  You should have two different entries in Split tunneling if you have 2 versions of Emby.

Start the VPN then start Emby.  If Emby's Dashboard shows the remote IP from your ISP that's attached to your router that is good.  If the remote IP is from your VPN provider that's a problem as it would mean the split tunneling is not working as expected.

If that keeps happening where the split tunneling isn't working correctly you may need to uninstall/install the VPN software manually.  I've seen the routing stack on Windows get confused on gateways use and an reinstall normally fixes that issue.

Yes, after I tried using the portable version I added that to the bypass list as well.

Just yesterday I completely uninstalled PIA using RevoUninstaller and reinstalled it twice just to test the portable version of Emby.

You posted right before I did.  Yes what I mentioned about Emby still getting your VPN remote address is present.  Emby won't work correctly like that and no user will connect remotely.

You need to look over the VPN settings to see why it didn't bypass the VPN.  Alternately uninstall/install the VPN software again then set both Emby's up again for split tunneling.

JsinFate
Just now, cayars said:

You posted right before I did.  Yes what I mentioned about Emby still getting your VPN remote address is present.  Emby won't work correctly like that and no user will connect remotely.

You need to look over the VPN settings to see why it didn't bypass the VPN.  Alternately uninstall/install the VPN software again then set both Emby's up again for split tunneling.

I have gone through every setting in the PIA application. Other programs work correctly using the bypass feature. Something changed from the 4.6 version I am using to the current one.
I even opened a ticket with PIA to further investigate from their side but so far, I've already done all of their suggestions multiple times.