Upgraded to New Hard Drive Now Remote Users Can't Connect

JsinFate

JsinFate

I moved all my Emby movies and TV shows to a new, larger hard drive but now my remote user can't connect. I tried to connect remotely off network using my phone but I can't connect either Did I do something wrong, where there files I need to update somewhere else?

Everything works locally, movies and shows play fine.

Emby.Error.jpg

JsinFate

I restarted my server now I get the this on my Dashboard:

First it says that there is an update available. Then a few seconds later it the "Update Now"  disappears and auto refreshes to the next screen, asking to reboot to install the update.

I didn't click anything it just started doing this on it's own.

Emby_01.jpg.ded72a81d18c0f235bee7745c78b2f47.jpgEmby_02.jpg.48f0e986f641ac166f4211be6f8a2a99.jpg

I downloaded the update and tried to manually update and now I get an error, even when installing at Admin.

Emby.Error.02.jpg

11 minutes ago, JsinFate said:

I restarted my server now I get the this on my Dashboard:

First it says that there is an update available. Then a few seconds later it the "Update Now"  disappears and auto refreshes to the next screen, asking to reboot to install the update.

I didn't click anything it just started doing this on it's own.

Emby_01.jpg.ded72a81d18c0f235bee7745c78b2f47.jpgEmby_02.jpg.48f0e986f641ac166f4211be6f8a2a99.jpg

I downloaded the update and tried to manually update and now I get an error, even when installing at Admin.

Emby.Error.02.jpg

Hi, I would suggest rebooting your machine, and then running the installer from the website again before launching Emby Server. If it launches on startup then please shut it down first. Let us now if that helps. Thanks.

JsinFate

I was able to install the update but I still can't connect outside of my network. Connection Failure.

I also noticed that when I click the menu on the far left corner I am missing all the Admin settings. I have to click the gear to the far right to get them back. Was this a change in the new update?

16 minutes ago, JsinFate said:

I was able to install the update but I still can't connect outside of my network. Connection Failure.

I also noticed that when I click the menu on the far left corner I am missing all the Admin settings. I have to click the gear to the far right to get them back. Was this a change in the new update?

It's just eliminating a little redundancy.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

May want to update/edit images above showing WAN address.

But per that address Emby ports are not open.  Are you uses automatic port mapping with UPNP or manually port forwarding?

May need to see a server log also.

JsinFate
15 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

May want to update/edit images above showing WAN address.

But per that address Emby ports are not open.  Are you uses automatic port mapping with UPNP or manually port forwarding?

May need to see a server log also.

I couldn't edit my post so I just deleted them, thank you!

For my knowledge, how can you tell the ports are not open?

I have the ports forwarded in my router now, but I didn't before. I didn't need to. But since external connections can't connect, I opened them as part of troubleshooting.

JsinFate

My Emby network settings does have automatic port mapping enabled.

I also noticed that my the dark theme isn't staying dark, it changed to the light theme constantly.

I don't understand why I'm having all these issues suddenly.

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, JsinFate said:

I couldn't edit my post so I just deleted them, thank you!

For my knowledge, how can you tell the ports are not open?

Sorry yes there are group status that are not allows edits.  I believe it is set to 25 before your status changes from "member" to "members" and allows post edits.

A site like canyouseeme.org

10 minutes ago, JsinFate said:

I also noticed that my the dark theme isn't staying dark, it changed to the light theme constantly.

Themes are client/app setting and if your browser cache/history gets cleared it resets these values.  But there was a change separating theme and accent color that may be at play here also.

As for the connection issue is the dashboard and a site like canyouseeme.org show your correct WAN address?

Are you using a vpn?

18 minutes ago, JsinFate said:

I have the ports forwarded in my router now, but I didn't before. I didn't need to. But since external connections can't connect, I opened them as part of troubleshooting.

Hard to say by Port Mapping stopped working.  Have you restarted your router?  But may need to see server log.

JsinFate

Yes I have tried that site and several others to verify my external IP address. My real IP begins with 21X.XXX.XXX so I don't know where Emby is getting a 199 address from.

I do use a VPN but have it configured for Emby to bypass it.

Like I said, it was working fine after I bought premiere then I upgraded drives and found out from my friend that she no longer had access. I don't know for how long.

JsinFate

Okay, now that's strange. I was having issues logging back into my router after updating Firefox but used Chrome to restart it.

I restarted Emby as well and saw that port mapper was installed and now my IP address is showing correctly.

I just tested with my phone using my cell service and it let me right into Emby!

I guess maybe the issue was with the port mapper?

JsinFate
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Are you sure the bypass is working?

Yes. I even disconnected my VPN. It looks like port mapper updated and now it seems to be working. Is there a way to disable automatic updates?

There was a fix made to the automatic port mapper, but you still could have resolved it on your own via port forwarding. 

The port mapper is just a shortcut to help spare you from having to do that, but it's not guaranteed to work in all environments and that's why manually setting up port forwarding will always produce the best result.

JsinFate

I don't get it. I got up this morning to check it and somehow it is back to the wrong external IP address.

The IP address doesn't even belong to my ISP. I don't know where it is pulling that IP address from, it is not VPN IP either.

JsinFate

I verified that my router port forwarding was back on, restarted my router, ensured Emby is bypassing the VPN, restarted my computer but now there is a completely DIFFERENT IP address showing in my remote WAN IP address. This is the second wrong external IP address. I thought I fixed it because it showed my external IP then clicked the display section and went back to the dashboard and the IP changed in a flash.

Does anyone know where Emby is pulling this IP from? I am about to completely uninstall and install fresh.

1 hour ago, JsinFate said:

I verified that my router port forwarding was back on, restarted my router, ensured Emby is bypassing the VPN, restarted my computer but now there is a completely DIFFERENT IP address showing in my remote WAN IP address. This is the second wrong external IP address. I thought I fixed it because it showed my external IP then clicked the display section and went back to the dashboard and the IP changed in a flash.

Does anyone know where Emby is pulling this IP from? I am about to completely uninstall and install fresh.

It uses a service similar to this: https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Essentially it's like calling someone and then having them tell you what the caller id says.

So there's no real detection involved. The fact that your address is changing to unpredictable values is probably VPN related.

JsinFate

I think I found the issue. For some reason the server isn't bypassing the VPN any more. I have a ticket open with the VPN provider but can't seem to fix it unless the VPN is off.

Thank you guys for all the help. I really appreciate it.

• Thanks 1

JsinFate

Back again. Here's a head scratcher.

It turns out that the bypass feature of my VPN is actually WORKING. It just no longer works for Emby for some reason. I tested this using other applications such as Thunderbird, Firefox, StreamFab and all work when I bypass the VPN and all fail when I select VPN only and turn the VPN off.

I have a feeling now that it is the new version of Emby. Is there a way to install the previous version?

JsinFate

I uninstalled Emby completely and just did a fresh install and I still have the same issue.

Emby is still using my VPN IP address instead of bypassing it as I have it set up. I have triple verified that my VPN bypass tunnel feature is working with different applications, only this latest version of Emby seems to have the issue.

Does anyone know how I can downgrade?

JsinFate

I was able to find the previous version of Emby and will install it to test.

I looked over my log file but I don't know what to look for.

EDIT: It keeps auto updating and I can't seem to stop it before it has already installed the latest version. I tried using my firewall to stop it but access is needed just to manage the server.

embyserver.txt

Edited by JsinFate

archecon

Today I solved a similar problem. 
Although all configuration was OK it was not possible to view Emby from the WAN side.
The problem was the VPN /softetherVPN/ server running on the same machine as the Emby server. After shutting it down everything is working.
Previous posts have alerted me to this problem area, thank you. So if possible avoid running a VPN server and VPNs in general on the same machine. 

JsinFate

Yes, after fighting with it for hours because it constantly auto updated I was able to downgrade to ver.4.6.70 and that solved the issue of it not obeying the VPN tunnel.

I ended up removing the Port Mapper plugin as well but that did not help.

There is something that was changed in the version that affects Emby's ability to refuse to bypass my's VPN.

I use Private Internet Access VPN latest version.

I don't know if anyone else uses a VPN constantly, but I urge you to check your Emby dashboard and see if it is showing your VPN IP as your Remove WAN address.

To illustrate:

image.png.ed91858e0b0eaadee9b24b30217e5df8.png

I will not try to update till there is another release and I see a specific mention of this issue. This was too labor intensive to reinstall and it's been over 24 hours and Emby is still scanning my Movies library and I am still missing a lot of covers and art.