Best way to upgrade?

Mael

Apologies for the newb question, but FreeBSD isn't my strong suit. I've switched from the TrueNAS plugin to emby manually installed in a Truenas jail using these instructions:

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

Everything is running as expected, but I wanted to know how I should upgrade. So when I did the install, I obviously installed the dependences and then ran 

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.0.40/emby-server-freebsd13_4.7.0.40_amd64.pkg

When the next release comes out, do I simply run

pkg upgrade && pkg update

and then re-run the same pkg add command, but with the updated release? 

HI, generally speaking, for our manual installs, you go back and run the same install process again over the top of your existing installation.

For those FreeBSD instructions that means the entire process, including the dependency installs.

Thanks. I'm assuming it won't overwrite any of the configuration stuff that's backed up with the Server Configuration Backup Plugin. Is this correct?

Edited by Mael

KZWings
On 5/17/2022 at 2:08 PM, Mael said:
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.0.40/emby-server-freebsd13_4.7.0.40_amd64.pkg
pkg upgrade && pkg update

I performed these exact steps and Emby no longer loads.  Stopped/Restarted jail and service.

TrueNAS 12.0-U6.1
Emby jail 12.2-RELEASE-p15

Updated from Emby 4.6.6.0

Able to ping Emby server, but does not load in browser or Android app.

Edited by KZWings
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, KZWings said:

I performed these exact steps and Emby no longer loads.  Stopped/Restarted jail and service.

TrueNAS 12.0-U6.1
Emby jail 12.2-RELEASE-p15

Updated from Emby 4.6.6.0

Able to ping Emby server, but does not load in browser or Android app.

Hi, you're going to have to configure the jail to enable mlock:

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

KZWings

Thanks, that worked!  I think because running from TrueNAS shell, I'm already root, so i didn't need to sudo

iocage set allow_mlock=1 <jailname> 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
dolphin
On 5/17/2022 at 8:29 PM, Luke said:

HI, generally speaking, for our manual installs, you go back and run the same install process again over the top of your existing installation.

For those FreeBSD instructions that means the entire process, including the dependency installs.

It'd be awesome if we found this information along with the installation instructions, so we didn't have to look up the community forum!

dolphin
On 5/17/2022 at 8:29 PM, Luke said:

Mmmh, I just did that but instead of upgrading the existing emby-server jail, it created a new one called emby-server_1... how do I force it to do an in place upgrade?

5 hours ago, dolphin said:

Mmmh, I just did that but instead of upgrading the existing emby-server jail, it created a new one called emby-server_1... how do I force it to do an in place upgrade?

Looks like you were able to update based on the other topic. Thanks.