TV shows with dual episodes - naming conventions

Mendocinotim

Mendocinotim

Carlo,

Many TV Shows have dual (combined episodes).
Does Emby server support these - because it appears not to?

For example "Star Trek Prodigy S01E01E02 Lost & Found (1)  Lost & Found (2)" combines S01E01 and S01E02 into a single double episode.
Note: I renamed "Star Trek Prodigy S01E01 Lost & Found (1)  Lost & Found (2)" to "Star Trek Prodigy S01E01E02 Lost & Found (1)  Lost & Found (2)" on the server (in the directory where this double episode is stored).

This naming convention SnnEnn1Enn2 is standard in the industry.
However, it appear that Emby does not support this.
And because of this - and that E02 does not exist as a separate episode - after watching this first episode, and because the second stand alone episode is not in the show's episode directory, Emby did not recognize I had started this new series. It thus did not appear in my next-up list.

Perhaps I am missing something here, and you have a method in mind for these situations?
Please let me know.

Thank you.

Mendocinotim
21 minutes ago, roaku said:

Emby supports several naming conventions for multi-episode files.

Click the link below and scroll to 'Multi-episode Files':

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

Yes, and I observed those naming conventions - and still.. after watching the first episode (which was a double episode, i.e., S01E01E02) the Continue Watching section of the home page screen did not work. In other words, after watching the first (double) episode Continue watching should have shown S01E03 in Continue Watching; but because it could not find S01E02, it did not know what to do, so it showed nothing.

It did however recognize S01E01, even after I had renamed the episode's file to s01e01e02.
In the Edit options for that episode, the episode field is a dropdown field, and would not allow dual episode designations. So I suspect that indicates this functionality has not yep been fully implemented.

I hope this makes sense?

roaku
15 minutes ago, Mendocinotim said:

Yes, and I observed those naming conventions - and still.. after watching the first episode (which was a double episode, i.e., S01E01E02) the Continue Watching section of the home page screen did not work. In other words, after watching the first (double) episode Continue watching should have shown S01E03 in Continue Watching; but because it could not find S01E02, it did not know what to do, so it showed nothing.

It did however recognize S01E01, even after I had renamed the episode's file to s01e01e02.
In the Edit options for that episode, the episode field is a dropdown field, and would not allow dual episode designations. So I suspect that indicates this functionality has not yep been fully implemented.

I hope this makes sense?

This isn't how continue watching works. It would/should have shown episode 3/the next unwatched episode if episode 2 wasn't in your library.

I'm not sure what the cause of your issue is, but support folk should be here soon.

Hi, your naming is fine and is supported, but he's right. They get treated as one episode in Emby Server, so once you watch that file, E03 is what would show in continue watching.

Mendocinotim

Is / has anyone else mention(ing)ed this issue I wonder?
Well, have since installed the latest beta (soon, i've been told, to be released as an official update) - and I've also been told many enhancements and bug fixes have been added; this beta was not installed on my server at the time that issue showed up for me.
Maybe the new beta/update will have addressed it - I'll have to wait till I happen to run across a similar situation like this to know for certain. Because I manually moved on to and through episode 3 already. I'll let you know the next time I hit another double episode episode.

Thanks for listening.

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue, but they're one video file. That means if you watch it halfway, you'll see it in continue watching. If you watch the whole thing, then the next episode file will be in Continue Watching. Does that not answer your question?

Happy2Play
8 hours ago, Mendocinotim said:

Carlo,

Many TV Shows have dual (combined episodes).
Does Emby server support these - because it appears not to?

For example "Star Trek Prodigy S01E01E02 Lost & Found (1)  Lost & Found (2)" combines S01E01 and S01E02 into a single double episode.
Note: I renamed "Star Trek Prodigy S01E01 Lost & Found (1)  Lost & Found (2)" to "Star Trek Prodigy S01E01E02 Lost & Found (1)  Lost & Found (2)" on the server (in the directory where this double episode is stored).

This naming convention SnnEnn1Enn2 is standard in the industry.
However, it appear that Emby does not support this.
And because of this - and that E02 does not exist as a separate episode - after watching this first episode, and because the second stand alone episode is not in the show's episode directory, Emby did not recognize I had started this new series. It thus did not appear in my next-up list.

Perhaps I am missing something here, and you have a method in mind for these situations?
Please let me know.

Thank you.

Okay are you saying you have two versions S01E01 and S01E01-E02?

So you play S01E01 and expect Emby to know exactly where E02 starts in the combine file?

Also from a S01E01-E2 standpoint this in one file with metadata for one file not two.  Sure it contains combined metadata but is only one.

Sound sort of like this as Emby uses "episodenumberend" not multiple "episodedetails" in nfo

Mendocinotim

No.
I have one double S01E01E02, no S01E02, and that I played S01E03 already.
That's what I was saying.
I would not expect Emby or any other media server (like Plex for example) to have metadata pertaining to the midpoint where one episode turns into the next.

Happy2Play

Don't know how the other guys do it but a guess would be the split "episodedetails" in one nfo file, but Emby does not function that way currently it uses one nfo with "episodenumberend".  So secondary episode is sort of invisible and you only see one item.  It remains in continue watching until complete or set resume value.

image.thumb.png.47ed23e50fd775d3de49c86b921f022f.png

Edited by Happy2Play