Replacing an episode's file removes it from Playlists

cnstarz

cnstarz

If I replace a TV episode file with an upgraded version of better quality (which has a different name), Emby will remove that episode from all Playlists. For instance, if I replace:

South Park (1997) - S11E11 - Imaginationland Episode II [SDTV][Stero].mkv

With: 

South Park (1997) - S11E11 - Imaginationland Episode II [Bluray-1080p Remux][TrueHD 5.1][AVC].mkv

Then all playlist entries for the 'South Park (1997) - S11E11 - Imaginationland Episode II' Title will be removed.

I think I understand why it happens (because Playlist entries are associated with filenames), but can an option be introduced where Playlist entries are associated with Titles instead of filenames?  If a Title is in a playlist, but a file doesn't exist for the Title, then the playlist entry will just be grayed out indicating that there's no file associated with it and won't be played.  Then when a file shows up that does match the Title, the playlist entry will look like normal because the playlist entry can be played.  These kind of scans can be scheduled or be included during the 'Scan Media Library' task that already exists. 

This would be incredibly helpful for people that include video and audio formats in their filenames. I suppose this also applies to movies that have video and audio formats specified in their filenames too. 

Edited by cnstarz

Hi, yes, playlists are based on file names but perhaps something can be worked out in future updates. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
cnstarz

Just curious if this is still on anyone's mind.  None of my playlists are good anymore because I include video quality in the file names.  Every time Radarr or Sonarr download a newer version, it's due to it being a different quality, therefore, it gets removed from a playlist.

Anyone who uses TRaSH's guides for naming conventions cannot realistically utilize playlists.

Edited by cnstarz
  • Facepalm 1