AndroidTV (on shield) possible bugs?

chenks

chenks

No idea, how would I check?

i assume by instance you mean iOS and ATV?

emby dashboard says direct play regardless of which device is used to play

33 minutes ago, chenks said:

No idea, how would I check?

With the existence of ffmpeg logs on the server when you play.

chenks

Just started playing a channel now

checked logs and no ffmpeg log dated for today

Photo attached showing what dashboard says

AE485C91-B3C3-4A75-9A2F-701FA7C6AC98.png

chenks
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see if it loads quicker with that?

the link only provides 2 versions - arm7 and x86, neither of which the shield in question is, which is arm64v8a ?

Edited by chenks

CBers
13 minutes ago, chenks said:

the link only provides 2 versions - arm7 and x86, neither of which the shield in question is, which is arm64v8a ?

Use the arm7 download.

chenks
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see if it loads quicker with that?

that also takes around 4-5 seconds to start playback (from the point of pressing Play)
dashboard reports Direct Play on stream and both audio and video.

CBers
3 minutes ago, chenks said:

that also takes around 4-5 seconds to start playback (from the point of pressing Play)
dashboard reports Direct Play on stream and both audio and video.

How longs does LIVE TV take to start in the Web Client, just out of curiosity?

chenks
1 minute ago, CBers said:

How longs does LIVE TV take to start in the Web Client, just out of curiosity?

mentioned in the opening post

starting playback of a channel seems to take much longer on the AndroidTV app compared to elsewhere. it takes around 5-6 seconds from pressing "play" until the channel feed starts. Whereas on on the web UI it's around 3 seconds, and on iOS iPhone it's almost instant.

CBers
5 minutes ago, chenks said:

mentioned in the opening post

starting playback of a channel seems to take much longer on the AndroidTV app compared to elsewhere. it takes around 5-6 seconds from pressing "play" until the channel feed starts. Whereas on on the web UI it's around 3 seconds, and on iOS iPhone it's almost instant.

This has been discussed many times over the years and it's something you get used to with the Emby ATV app.

I don't use Emby for watching LIVE TV, only recording.

I use the another app on my 3 Shields for watching LIVE TV, as TV starts instantly and channel changes are also instant.

Have a good day.

• Sad 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, CBers said:

This has been discussed many times over the years and it's something you get used to with the Emby ATV app.

I don't use Emby for watching LIVE TV, only recording.

I use the another app on my 3 Shields for watching LIVE TV, as TV starts instantly and channel changes are also instant.

Have a good day.

HD TV starts almost instantly on both my Shield and FireTV devices - you must have something setup wrong then CBers ...

• Sad 1

chenks
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

HD TV starts almost instantly on both my Shield and FireTV devices - you must have something setup wrong then CBers ...

it doesn't start instantly for me on ATV, it does start instantly on iOS though.
it also starts instantly when i use a different app (Tivimate)

Edited by chenks

rbjtech
1 hour ago, chenks said:

so it's a "just suck it up" then?

Not at all - it should start pretty much instantly.

Do you have the 'Direct Play' option set in the 'Live TV' option on the client ?  The downside of this option is you cannot 'pause' TV for the reasons set below.

If that is not set, then it has to transcode/remux - meaning it attempts to get a buffer first before starting playback - the bonus is you can then pause/rewind TV if you wanted to.

chenks
6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Do you have the 'Direct Play' option set in the 'Live TV' option on the client ?  The downside of this option is you cannot 'pause' TV for the reasons set below.

yes it is set, and when playing the streams the dashboard reports Direct Play on stream and both audio and video.

CBers
15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Thanks for your incisive input.

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, chenks said:

yes it is set, and when playing the streams the dashboard reports Direct Play on stream and both audio and video.

20220520_095542.mkv

Hmm ok - just so we are on the same page - re timings - attached is a quick video of what I see.   This is using a Gen2 FireTV using a HDHR Tuner.

rbjtech
1 minute ago, CBers said:

Thanks for your incisive input.

lol - it was significantly more helpful than yours !

• Haha 1

chenks
Just now, rbjtech said:

Hmm ok - just so we are on the same page - re timings - attached is a quick video of what I see.   This is using a Gen2 FireTV using a HDHR Tuner.

yours is defintely quicker than mine
once i hit "play" i get a black screen with the spinner for around 5-6 seconds before playback starts

CBers
Just now, rbjtech said:

lol - it was significantly more helpful than yours !

Just stating how it's been over the years.

Your Live TV start up was still around 2 to 3 seconds from hitting play to getting smooth playback, so hardly instant.

chenks

the difference between 2 seconds and 5 seconds, although sounds small, in reality it can seem a lot longer, especially it it's on a black screen with the spinner for those 5 seconds.

• Agree 1

rbjtech

6.360 is the first frame after I press play - 8.858 is the first frame with a play bar = 2.5 seconds.

@chenks - Is the IOS playback in this region, or is that even quicker ?

image.png.fdd42114271ea91487e48f85f11667bc.png

chenks
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

Is the IOS playback in this region, or is that even quicker ?

iOS playback starts almost instantly, less than 2 seconds for sure.

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, chenks said:

iOS playback starts almost instantly, less than 2 seconds for sure.

ok thanks.

Any differences on how the Shield vs Phone connect ?  Are they both wireless ?  Same channel (2.4 vs 5Ghz etc) - same wireless speed ?

Other than checking that - you probably need to send an internal log to @ebr to see if there are any internal app clues (only the Dev's have access to this) - as I don't believe there is  anything else you need to change or configure... 

chenks

the shield is connected via 1Gbps ethernet, iPhone wireless (obviously).

any other app i use (Tivimate, VLC etc) all start playback instantly, it's only Emby ATV that seems to have the issue.

Edited by chenks