AndroidTV (on shield) possible bugs?

chenks

chenks

Been using the AndroidTV app on my shields or a couple of days now and come across a few things that might be bugs or might be me not having things set up correctly.

1. Clicking on, what i assume is, the playlist icon when viewing local TV show episodes appears to actually open the Live TV guide instead? I assume this is a bug as not sure why the Live TV guide would be the correct thing to show?

Screenshot_20220515-102553.png

Screenshot_20220515-102603.png

2. The Android TV app doesn't appear to show to the quality of the video and audio of the file or whether any subtitles are pre-selected, wheras the web ui and iOS do?

Screenshot_20220515-105838.png

Screenshot 2022-05-15 111129.jpgIMG_1099.PNG

3. I have enabled the client to play TV show theme tunes, but so far no TV shows play anything.

4. Live TV - starting playback of a channel seems to take much longer on the AndroidTV app compared to elsewhere. it takes around 5-6 seconds from pressing "play" until the channel feed starts. Whereas on on the web UI it's around 3 seconds, and on iOS iPhone it's almost instant.

5.This isn't a bug but more an observation. The UI seems to be conflicted in how it displays whether something is played or not. For movies it uses a green cricle with a tick to show that it is played, but for TV shows the green circle denotes that something is not played. Seems a strange UI decision and maybe it would be better to have a consistent UI where the green circle means the same regardless of the content type?

In general it feels like the AndroidTV client is must less polished than other areas of the Emby environment, for example, the web UI and iOS iPhone app.

Are some of these things just me not having things set up correctly?

Edited by chenks

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, chenks said:

1. Clicking on, what i assume is, the playlist icon when viewing local TV show episodes appears to actually open the Live TV guide instead? I assume this is a bug as not sure why the Live TV guide would be the correct thing to show?

That is LiveTV Guide icon, not playlist icon. 

2. The Android TV app doesn't appear to show to the quality of the video and audio of the file or whether any subtitles are pre-selected, wheras the web ui and iOS do?

Enable "Show Pre-Playback Media Selections" in Settings>Playback. 

6 minutes ago, chenks said:

3. I have enabled the client to play TV show theme tunes, but so far no TV shows play anything.

Do you have those themes stored locally? It'll only play those that you have downloaded. 

7 minutes ago, chenks said:

4. Live TV - starting playback of a channel seems to take much longer on the AndroidTV app compared to elsewhere. it takes around 5-6 seconds from pressing "play" until the channel feed starts. Whereas on on the web UI it's around 3 seconds, and on iOS iPhone it's almost instant.

That likely depends whether you're playing ts files directly or not, Settings>Playback. 

8 minutes ago, chenks said:

5.This isn't a bug but more an observation. The UI seems to be conflicted in how it displays whether something is played or not. For movies it uses a green cricle with a tick to show that it is played, but for TV shows the green circle denotes that something is not played. Seems a strange UI decision and maybe it would be better to have a consistent UI where the green circle means the same regardless of the content type?

It is consistent/same accross all client apps, different between Movies and TV Shows. 

9 minutes ago, chenks said:

In general it feels like the AndroidTV client is must less polished than other areas of the Emby environment, for example, the web UI and iOS iPhone app.

I tend to differ, I find ATV app superior to any other client app, by some margin. 

chenks
8 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That is LiveTV Guide icon, not playlist icon. 

hmm ok, but i guess the question is why would i want a live tv guide icon when playing back local content?
the icon looks more like a playlist icon, so if i'm playing episodes in a queue that would be the most obvious icon to click to see the playlist queue.

Enable "Show Pre-Playback Media Selections" in Settings>Playback. 

ah ok thanks, as it was enabled by default elsewhere i didn't realise it was turned off by default in the ATV app

Do you have those themes stored locally? It'll only play those that you have downloaded. 

hmm, i didn't know i had to, i just saw the setting in the ATV, enabled it, and saw nothing had happened. i assumed, incorrectly, that Emby supported it natively.

That likely depends whether you're playing ts files directly or not, Settings>Playback.

that setting is not ticked, as it is unticked by default, should it be ticked?

It is consistent/same accross all client apps, different between Movies and TV Shows. 

i wasn't commenting on it being inconsistent across apps, but noting that the UI itself is inconsistent that the green circles does not mean the same for all content types.

I tend to differ, I find ATV app superior to any other client app, by some margin. 

it's just my feeling that it feels a lot less polished than other aspects of the environment.
I note that the ATV client is still deemed as "beta" according to the play store listing, are there 2 versions of the app or is the only version available the beta version?

Edited by chenks

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, chenks said:

hmm ok, but i guess the question is why would i want a live tv guide icon when playing back local content?

It was introduced as users requested it, I can imagine watching something and seeing a commercial for a show on some channel at some hour, quick to setup recording. 

2 minutes ago, chenks said:

hmm, i didn't know i had to, i just saw the setting in the ATV, enabled it, and saw nothing had happened. i assumed, incorrectly, that Emby supported it natively.

All clients that support it do as long as you have them downloaded locally. 

that setting is not ticked, as it is unticked by default, should it be ticked?

That is your preference. 

i wasn't commenting on it being inconsistent across apps, but noting that the UI itself is inconsistent that the green circles does not mean the same for all content types.

Number of topics related that subject, split is somewhere down the middle. 

4 minutes ago, chenks said:

I note that the ATV client is still deemed as "beta" according to the play store listing, are there 2 versions of the app or is the only version available the beta version?

Current stable and beta are both same version, 2.0.70.

chenks
5 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That is your preference. 

not sure how that helps with the question that was posed?

I mentioned that starting playback of live tv was slow compared to other clients (note that this it is only with Live TV, playback starting is normal elsewhere).
you mentioned it depends on if TS is being played back directly or not and pointed to a setting, it is unticked for me by default.

with it unticked the emby server says it is being direct played, and takes about 5-6 settings to start playback.
with it ticked the emby server says it is being direct played, and still takes about 5-6 settings to start playback.

so it would appear that setting makes no difference.

should note that stopping live tv playback is also quite slow. whilst watching Live TV, pressing the back button, it sits on a black screen for about same amount of time 5 seconds to so before then displaying the guide.

Edited by chenks

chenks
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

It was introduced as users requested it, I can imagine watching something and seeing a commercial for a show on some channel at some hour, quick to setup recording. 

yes i can see why that would be good if you were watching Live TV at the time, but surely not whilst watching local content?

GrimReaper

not sure how that helps with the question that was posed?

I mentioned that starting playback of live tv was slow compared to other clients (note that this it is only with Live TV, playback starting is normal elsewhere).
you mentioned it depends on if TS is being played back directly or not and pointed to a setting, it is unticked for me by default.

with it unticked the emby server says it is being direct played, and takes about 5-6 settings to start playback.
with it ticked the emby server says it is being direct played, and still takes about 5-6 settings to start playback.

so it would appear that setting makes no difference.

should note that stopping live tv playback is also quite slow. whilst watching Live TV, pressing the back button, it sits on a black screen for about same amount of time 5 seconds to so before then displaying the guide.

I said 'likely', as enabling it would exclude any kind of conversion that might've been occuring, but since you're getting DirectPlay in both cases it doesn't make any difference. @ebr might have some insight about other possible causes there.

yes i can see why that would be good if you were watching Live TV at the time, but surely not whilst watching local content?

If that local content is recorded movie/show, I can see it being equally useful. But you are always welcomed to open a Feature Request for its removal in the appropriate forum section, see what traction it'll get. 

chenks
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

If that local content is recorded movie/show, I can see it being equally useful. But you are always welcomed to open a Feature Request for its removal in the appropriate forum section, see what traction it'll get. 

i guess the question is this, if i'm playing local content, a list of tv show episodes, how do i see the playlist of what is in the queue still to play?
the icon i mentioned looks like a playlist icon, which is why i expected it to be that when i clicked on it. if that function is via another button then it won't be a problem.

i'm not advcoating the removal of anything, just that the icon by appearance and where it was made it seem like it would do one thing when it does another thing.

GrimReaper
20 minutes ago, chenks said:

i guess the question is this, if i'm playing local content, a list of tv show episodes, how do i see the playlist of what is in the queue still to play?
the icon i mentioned looks like a playlist icon, which is why i expected it to be that when i clicked on it. if that function is via another button then it won't be a problem.

i'm not advcoating the removal of anything, just that the icon by appearance and where it was made it seem like it would do one thing when it does another thing.

AFAIK there is no OSD shortcut to "Show queue" in any client app, but I might be mistaken, as well. 

Edited by GrimReaper

chenks
2 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

image.png.a445f30a127a17936fc6352b03ebaac0.png

looks pretty similar to web client to me.

this is the show queue icon

image.png.782ecfe87a31ee580c199b5d0808f559.png

where are you seeing those icons on the web client?
when i play a local tv show on the web client none of those icons above show on the UI during playback

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, chenks said:

where are you seeing those icons on the web client?
when i play a local tv show on the web client none of those icons above show on the UI during playback

guide button is shown in the live tv row on the main page

image.png.43125e80cb224f7bcef0491ccc171c1e.png

in the osd its bottom left on beta. not shown on stable

image.png.eeb4d98620013294c8d578ae1ee28261.png

the queue button is shown in the osd bottom right, but only for music

chenks
Just now, Spaceboy said:

guide button is shown in the live tv row on the main page

yeah but i'm not talking about Live TV.
I'm taking about playing local content.

i guess if the button i'm talking about looked exactly like the guide button you have shown above (without the words), then i might not have confused it with a playlist button.
i wasn't expecting to be presented with a livetv guide button when playing local content.

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, chenks said:

yeah but i'm not talking about Live TV.
I'm taking about playing local content.

i guess if the button i'm talking about looked exactly like the guide button you have shown above (without the words), then i might not have confused it with a playlist button.
i wasn't expecting to be presented with a livetv guide button when playing local content.

ah well. nice surprise for you then :D

FrostByte

Having a scrollable playlist icon when playing movies from a playlist makes sense to me.

chenks
26 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Having a scrollable playlist icon when playing movies from a playlist makes sense to me.

It makes more sense, for me anyway, to have one when watching an entire season of a TV show, as that is essentially a playlist

Grim pretty much answered all the questions.  Do you still have open ones?

The trend is away from icons on the OSD and towards text so that confusion will get cleared up for you.  The guide during local playback was heavily requested and we didn't have a good reason NOT to allow it so we did.

chenks
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Grim pretty much answered all the questions.  Do you still have open ones

Yes the live TV playback start being slow on ATV but almost instant iOS (for example)

26 minutes ago, chenks said:

Yes the live TV playback start being slow on ATV but almost instant iOS (for example)

Did you turn on the option in Live TV to direct stream Live TV?

chenks

Yes, made no difference

it was direct playing with it unticked, and still direct playing with it ticked

17 hours ago, chenks said:

it was direct playing with it unticked, and still direct playing with it ticked

Don't think that is possible. Can you please show me the exact option you checked?

chenks
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

Don't think that is possible. Can you please show me the exact option you checked?

it was the setting i was directed to earlier in the thread

Settings > Playback > Allow Direct Play of TS Files (unticked by default, not ticked) - according to the Emby dashboard the content was Direct Playing with it both ticked and unticked.

attached are what the settings are currently set to

IMG_1100.JPEG

IMG_1101.JPEG

Edited by chenks

Thanks. The second option is the one I was referring to.  The first one will have no impact on live TV.

With that checked, it will attempt to direct play (staticly stream from the tuner).  That may not be possible based on other factors but, with that option unchecked, it definitely will not do that - it will run it through ffmpeg to allow for seeking.

chenks
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

With that checked, it will attempt to direct play (staticly stream from the tuner).  That may not be possible based on other factors but, with that option unchecked, it definitely will not do that - it will run it through ffmpeg to allow for seeking.

i don't believe i've changed that setting from default, so if it's ticked now it will always have been ticked.

however, the issue remains, playback on ATV takes around 6 seconds to start, whereas on iOS it is near instant.