Advice required after reinstalling Emby

siu99ss2
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

siu99ss2

Hi, I upgraded my hard drive and at the same time I (finally!) decided to make the jump from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Before upgrading, my cache and metadata folders were stored at a custom location and the Emby-Server folder was stored in users folder but without the "programdata" folder.

CustomLocation\Emby\Cache

CustomLocation\Emby\Metadata

CustomLocation\Emby\Metadata\People

Users...\Emby-Server\

I used the configuration backup plugin to backup/restore emby settings. However, after the reinstall the initial scan took almost 12 hours to complete and I've noticed that my peoples images are different to my previously saved images.

All my media metadata ie nfos, posters, etc are saved with the media (except chapter images I'm guessing).

The new locations after reinstall are:

CustomLocation\Emby\Cache

CustomLocation\Emby\Metadata

CustomLocation\Emby\Metadata\People

Users...\Emby-Server\programdata\

The cache and metadata locations haven't changed but the server install have moved to a subfolder i.e. programdata.

The actors are listed and saved in folders by name (this structure might be outdated)

My question are:

(1) Did the change in the server install location to programdata cause the redownloading of new peoples images?

(2) Or am I using an outdated peoples folder structure that needs to be upgraded and if so, how do I convert?

(3) Can I use my old saved peoples images with the new install and any new required structure?

Many thanks for any advice received.

• Solution
GrimReaper

Guess the crucial piece of information is from which version you upgraded to which version?

But yes, people folder/structure did change with the latest stable 4.6+ (and further adjusted with betas 4.7+), it is now located in /programdata/metadata/people. 

Btw, your server install folder should still be /Emby-server after upgrade, not under /programdata. 

Now knowing your server versions from>to, you might possibly use community-made migration plugin to transfer your people images to new structure:

siu99ss2

Thanks for the reply.

Emby server before and after hard drive/OS upgrade were both 4.6.7.0 with all plugins updated.

Emby-Server before:

image.png.adb48aecc03dffaaaeee09941d92339b.png

Emby-Server after:

image.png.c6849b08f2637061c1c907ecbb256c8b.png

Essentially, what I'm trying to get to is a structure that fits best with emby going forward.

I'll look into the plugin you suggested to restructure my peoples folder to minimise any future issues. 

Thanks

siu99ss2

Sorry, just wanted to add a screenshot of my people folder:

image.png.60ba56d2940d74fc5b6f2cf41248dc74.png

Is this the correct structure for current emby version?

Thanks

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, siu99ss2 said:

Emby-Server after:

image.png.c6849b08f2637061c1c907ecbb256c8b.png

That looks correct. 

56 minutes ago, siu99ss2 said:

Sorry, just wanted to add a screenshot of my people folder:

image.png.60ba56d2940d74fc5b6f2cf41248dc74.png

Is this the correct structure for current emby version?

Thanks

Yeah, that seems fine as well, though in people folder you should not have letter-subfolders for 4.6, only one folder (name only or name-idxxxxx, depending on your metadata) per person. 

siu99ss2

Thank you. I’ll copy the contents from the individual letter folders to the people folder. 

Finally, can I delete the old Metadata\Library folder or does that hold other info like chapters?

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, siu99ss2 said:

Thank you. I’ll copy the contents from the individual letter folders to the people folder. 

Finally, can I delete the old Metadata\Library folder or does that hold other info like chapters?

No as everything is already in the database the way it was structured.  So moving them will/could break them in the database.

The same applies to restructuring to programdata folder, you could break the existing install depending on the database structure.

As for metadata/library you will want to look at the Migration plugin

siu99ss2

Understood. Is there a file I can delete to force a complete library rebuild after I've made the changes?

I don't upgrade or make changes often so looking to setup everything correctly now.

siu99ss2

Hi, finally had time to run the the migration plugin and most of my peoples images I had manually added have returned. Wish I had heard of this plugin in sooner.

Just wanted to say thank you to @GrimReaper and @Happy2Play for your help!

Solution of using migration plugin to fix my metadata folder issues accepted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1