Release level in public API

doonze

doonze

Hey @Erb or @Luke

Quick question. Would it be that big a deal to add the release level (Stable or Beta) to the public API at /System/Info/Public? I'm doing a MAJOR overhaul of my EmbyUpdate auto updater/installer for linux and realized if for some reason when I release my new update I fail to be able to convert from from the old config based settings to my new database based settings, that I could end up installing Stable over someone running Beta. (Very small chance, I've tested thoroughly. But you know how it is with 1000 flavors of linux) So I'm having to just fail the app if I can't convert their settings, which will break the automation for everyone affected if there's a bug.

I know this is a really niche request, and I'm likely the only person who's interested in this feature. What I do is allow my users to install your latest "pre-release" or "release" versions off github. My app just automatically does what your process is for linux on your linux download page. If I can query the sever (something I'm already doing to know the version #) and find out if it's release (Stable) or pre-release (Beta) it would just make it safer. Then I can also confirm what they are doing if they change it. While ~I~ may be the only person ever to care, my users (aka your users) may benefit from it by me being able to build a better and smarter updater. Only reason I'm asking. 

Thanks, long time lifetime subscriber, nowhere near first time caller. :) 

It's already in system/info.

We're not moving it to public as that doesn't require authentication and should have as little info as possible