ATV4K - Photos / Slideshow Not Respecting Portrait Orientation

GFMERCHANT

GFMERCHANT

Hello.

I'm using Emby on both ATV4K and Roku.

ATV4K photos / slideshow does not respect portrait orientation on most recent vintage iPhone photos. These photos will tilt to horizontal. Hard on the head and the eyes ;].

Roku photos / slideshow does respect portrait orientation - no issues.

ATV4K slide show options would - in theory - be superior, as the platform offers many more options such as selection of time duration for each image, multiple slide transition styles, etc.

The Emby Roku app offers almost zero control over photo / slideshow display options - it is pretty much "play' or "don't play."

Incidentally, I tested the native itunes / computer / home sharing photos app to see if portrait orientation works there - it does.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thank you.

GFMERCHANT
20 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, how does the web app compare?

Hello Sir.

And I thank you for replying on the weekend.

I ran the slide show in question under the web app, and it does respect portrait orientation. No issues there.

So thus far the issue seems confined to the ATV4K. As another curious data point, if I simply page through pictures on the ATV4K, not using the Play All or Shuffle options, portrait orientation is respected.

Thanks, much, for your reply.

GFMERCHANT
15 hours ago, Luke said:

What format photos?

Hello again. These portrait oriented pictures are jpeg format, taken with recent vintage cell phone cameras (Samsung G935V, iPhone 8, iPhone 5s).

If I open one of these jpegs in Photoshop, and resave it, Emby on ATV4K will render portrait orientation correctly.

I can see in EXIF Pilot that an original jpeg (prior to resaving in Photoshop) shows :

PixelXDimension = 3264
PixelYDimension = 2448
Orientation = Rotate 90 CW

This image shows incorrectly as horizontal on Emby / ATV4K (and shows correctly on Emby / Roku and web app).

This same image, after opening it in Photoshop and resaving with no edits, shows the following, with X and Y flipped :

PixelXDimension = 2448
PixelYDimension = 3264
Orientation = Horizontal (normal)

This version of the picture renders correctly as portrait orientation on Emby / ATV4K.

Please note that I have tested these same unedited portrait oriented jpegs using the native ATV4K Computers app, as well as FileBrowser for ATV4K, and both of these programs render the pictures correctly.

There is something about the Emby / ATV4K combo that is disregarding the orientation tag.

I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for your time and consideration.

GFMERCHANT

Hello Emby Support.

Is there any new information on this issue?

Thank you.

Edited by GFMERCHANT

• 3 weeks later...
SamES

Hi, @GFMERCHANT. can you please confirm for me, is it just the slideshow that has the issue?  If you view the photos one by one, not a slideshow is the orientation correct?

GFMERCHANT

Hello Sir. Yes, you are correct. The orientation issue only occurs with the slide show. If I view the pictures singly, Emby renders the orientation correctly.

SamES
12 hours ago, GFMERCHANT said:

Hello Sir. Yes, you are correct. The orientation issue only occurs with the slide show. If I view the pictures singly, Emby renders the orientation correctly.

Thanks for confirming.  I can reproduce this.  it appears to be be a limitation of the native slideshow player that it is not rotating content.

We will need to look further into this.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
GFMERCHANT

Hello Emby Support. A year has transpired. When do you expect to have this issue resolved? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is resolved for the next update to Emby for Apple TV. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...